Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 13, 2020, 07:39   #51
Sky
Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: London-ish
Age: 47
Posts: 1,633
Sky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosferatu View Post
This axe says it drains experience. Is that not a curse?
that's an axe of morgul. Throw it out.
__________________
"i can take this dracolich"
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2020, 14:13   #52
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 55
Posts: 8,401
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by spara View Post
As you can see, the rod has already been used and identified as the Rod of Illumination. I had used the rod to illuminate a dark room with monsters. What more is needed?
Hm. I'll look at the save file.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2020, 14:20   #53
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 55
Posts: 8,401
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by spara View Post
As you can see, the rod has already been used and identified as the Rod of Illumination. I had used the rod to illuminate a dark room with monsters. What more is needed?
OK, this looks like a bug. It has not become properly identified, but it's impossible to tell from the savefile how that happened. What's your character's history with the rod?
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2020, 15:40   #54
spara
Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 234
spara is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
OK, this looks like a bug. It has not become properly identified, but it's impossible to tell from the savefile how that happened. What's your character's history with the rod?
I'm fairly sure it was originally identified in a room without monsters. After that the name was revealed, but nothing more. After a couple of dlevels I checked and it had the description. No idea what triggered it. I tried in vain to find a way to make the description appear from the save I posted.
spara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2020, 16:57   #55
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 1,939
Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spara View Post
I'm fairly sure it was originally identified in a room without monsters. After that the name was revealed, but nothing more. After a couple of dlevels I checked and it had the description. No idea what triggered it. I tried in vain to find a way to make the description appear from the save I posted.
I vaguely recall a recent issue several nightlies ago, when the description only updated when @ left the level. Does that ring any bells? Though, I might be confusing that with the missing monster lore, I can't remember.
__________________
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2020, 23:20   #56
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 55
Posts: 8,401
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
I vaguely recall a recent issue several nightlies ago, when the description only updated when @ left the level. Does that ring any bells? Though, I might be confusing that with the missing monster lore, I can't remember.
I have the same vague memory. I tried that with spara's savefile to no effect.

The way it's meant to work is that there's an actual copy and a player copy of the object, and info gets copied from one to the other when it is learned. There are several things that can trigger this, but it looks like none of those happened for the rod's effect in this case. So now I have to work out how it slipped through.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2020, 03:10   #57
backwardsEric
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 76
backwardsEric is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
I vaguely recall a recent issue several nightlies ago, when the description only updated when @ left the level. Does that ring any bells?
There was a change to avoid problems when reading a rune of protection scroll from the floor. As a direct result of that or the subsequent fixes to clean up extra messages from that change, a problem with propagating knowledge about single-use items was introduced which Nick fixed. All those changes were in a routine that's called for all item use. So, they could be related to this bug about not learning the properties of a rod after using it.
backwardsEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2020, 10:28   #58
spara
Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 234
spara is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwardsEric View Post
There was a change to avoid problems when reading a rune of protection scroll from the floor. As a direct result of that or the subsequent fixes to clean up extra messages from that change, a problem with propagating knowledge about single-use items was introduced which Nick fixed. All those changes were in a routine that's called for all item use. So, they could be related to this bug about not learning the properties of a rod after using it.
Now that you bring it up. It's totally possible that I used the rod first time from the floor. Can't really remember

Edit: Confirmed from the message recall from the save. The rod was identified from the ground, since @ had a full backpack.

Last edited by spara; June 14, 2020 at 15:13.
spara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2020, 20:42   #59
moosferatu
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 99
moosferatu is on a distinguished road
I picked up a staff of speed with 6 charges. It was the only one I had in my inventory. Then I accidentally stepped on a staff of speed with 0 charges that I'd previously discarded. I immediately attempted to discard it again only to discover to my dismay that now I had 2 staves each with 3 charges.

I'm guessing this behaviour is not a bug, but it sure is annoying...
moosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2020, 23:16   #60
DavidMedley
Knight
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 729
DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosferatu View Post
I picked up a staff of speed with 6 charges. It was the only one I had in my inventory. Then I accidentally stepped on a staff of speed with 0 charges that I'd previously discarded. I immediately attempted to discard it again only to discover to my dismay that now I had 2 staves each with 3 charges.

I'm guessing this behaviour is not a bug, but it sure is annoying...
There is a user interface option to prevent this.
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reviving Iso-Angband, an isometric view addon for Angband Hajo Development 111 August 3, 2014 19:44


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.