Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old February 12, 2011, 04:19   #1
Taha
Adept

Taha is on a distinguished road
Mac save file crash bug - dead or retired character, with subwindows set in prefs

Sumary: Any savefile with a dead or retired character in it that has loaded this preference file will not open in the current nightlies on the mac. Haven't tried any other OS.

Other characters with a fresh savefile and preferences work when dying and restarting. But with a fresh character and pref file, if I copy the # Window 'Term-X' Settings from my old preference file to the new one, the subwindows all show up correctly, but if I then die, the game crashes loading the savefile. They look exactly the same, but with some windows enabled.

Manually setting up the window options sometimes crashes it after death, sometimes not. I can't make that happen consistently.

Also, at some point during this process it destroyed all my autoinscriptions, I loaded from a file and then saved back to the same file and the inscriptions weren't saved. They were used for that character, but were gone when I loaded the preferences on a new character.

I have been using this pref file (updated occasionally) since pre 3.1.

Can anyone else check this out? Tired of restarting characters and having to set up all the options again. Auto pickup is set to off by default? Really? How do people play like that?
________
BustyMilf live
Attached Files
File Type: zip Taha.prf.zip (2.3 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by Taha; August 14, 2011 at 15:54.
Taha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2011, 06:36   #2
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
Thanks for reporting this.

It turns out this happened if you had the player (basic) subwindow open.

The bug is fixed in staging and master and will be available with the next nightly build.
Old February 12, 2011, 16:45   #3
Taha
Adept

Explains why it happened only intermittently when I randomly chose some window options before suiciding.

Thanks for the quick fix. My old character works again, with monster memory and autoinscriptions intact.

Are autoinscriptions now stored in the savefile rather than the pref file? They are still there in my save, but looking through the pref file that section is blank. Even after I choose "save options" to a fresh pref file, all I have is:
# Autoinscription settings
# B:item kind:inscription
but the autoinscriptions are still with my character somewhere.

And keymaps and macros don't get saved with all the other options, only when I specifically save those from the interact with macros submenu. I thought it used to save / load all of them when you saved / loaded a user pref file.
________
Colorado marijuana dispensary

Old February 12, 2011, 17:10   #4
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
I have to say that this isn't a piece of the code I am very familiar with.

I know at one point Magnate was trying to redo the savefile so it was harder to lose this kind of information, but I'm don't know that he'd done anything on it yet, and he's taking a break.

I will ask on the dev channel and see if someone knows something more.
Old February 12, 2011, 23:35   #5
myshkin
Angband Devteam member

myshkin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taha View Post
Are autoinscriptions now stored in the savefile rather than the pref file? They are still there in my save, but looking through the pref file that section is blank. Even after I choose "save options" to a fresh pref file, all I have is:
# Autoinscription settings
# B:item kind:inscription
but the autoinscriptions are still with my character somewhere.

And keymaps and macros don't get saved with all the other options, only when I specifically save those from the interact with macros submenu. I thought it used to save / load all of them when you saved / loaded a user pref file.
We could definitely stand to handle and document these various forms of saving better. In nightlies, autoinscriptions get saved to the savefile along with squelch information. The "save options" menu item in the top-level options menu does not write keymap or macro information. I'll see what we can do about this.
myshkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2011, 00:13   #6
myshkin
Angband Devteam member

myshkin is on a distinguished road
I've modified the options code so that the top-level "save options" choice saves keymaps and macros. Your prefs file also no longer has the reference to autoinscriptions, since those get saved in the savefile. The changes should show up in the next nightlies.
myshkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2011, 01:24   #7
Taha
Adept

Thanks for clarifying.

I have lost my savefile on corrupted saves or save compatability breakage using nightlies a number of times, if that caused loss of all my autoinscriptions that would be a HUGE deal for me. They should be in a manually editable file somewhere.

Copying other people's autoinscriptions for people learning the game is also a plus of the prf files. I think keeping everything possible in plain text is ideal.
________
Live Sex Webshows