AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 17, 2013, 06:52   #1
Wozar
Rookie

Wozar is on a distinguished road
Ego Items

Hi all,

As you will have seen from my last thread I have not come across a single Ego Item with my previous character. So thinking I was just unlucky I started another. I now have only come across one ego item and I am Lvl 23 exploring dungeon level 19.

This includes in shops and the black market.

I found a sling of extra shots but that is the only item!!

Has there been a re-design on ego item rarity or do I have to go significantly lower than previously in order to find them?
Wozar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2013, 09:11   #2
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wozar View Post
Hi all,

As you will have seen from my last thread I have not come across a single Ego Item with my previous character. So thinking I was just unlucky I started another. I now have only come across one ego item and I am Lvl 23 exploring dungeon level 19.
dlvl 19 translates to 950'. That's really early in the game, it's not uncommon to not get any ego-items that early. If you are remembering early 3.x series most of them were way too generous for items, so that has been tuned down (quite a lot in fact).

Stores have been changed a lot. Now getting ego-items from them is a rarity, and even BM doesn't start to offer them until you have been a lot deeper in the dungeon (those change better with your progress, based on your dlvl or clvl I'm not sure which).
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2013, 17:58   #3
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
You should try playing the 3.5 development builds; drop rates have been tweaked. Significantly, unique enemies are more likely to drop nice stuff, and practically always drop at least an ego item.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2013, 18:14   #4
eMeM
Apprentice

eMeM is on a distinguished road
I'm surprised. My own experiences in 3.5-dev are completely different. I find too much of egos and early specials even on 50'. Sometimes I'm feeling like it's cheat mode turned on.
eMeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2013, 22:41   #5
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMeM View Post
I'm surprised. My own experiences in 3.5-dev are completely different. I find too much of egos and early specials even on 50'. Sometimes I'm feeling like it's cheat mode turned on.
How many times do you clear 50' in a given game?
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013, 09:40   #6
eMeM
Apprentice

It was 150000 game turns on 50'-150'.
Old June 18, 2013, 16:43   #7
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
So, 15000 player turns, then. That's a considerably slower pace than the devs are calibrating for. I think what's going on here (but fizzix would know better) is that the drop rate for enchanted equipment is much less depth-dependent early on than it used to be. If you play each level only 1-2 times then this doesn't matter much; since the rate at which equipment drops scales up rather drastically as you descend (early on, anyway), odds are that the good stuff you find and use will probably show up later rather than sooner, preserving the "go deeper to find better stuff" feel. Of course this breaks down if you decide to hang around at shallow depths.

This may be one of those things where there is no right answer.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013, 17:15   #8
Scraper
Apprentice

Scraper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
dlvl 19 translates to 950'. That's really early in the game, it's not uncommon to not get any ego-items that early. If you are remembering early 3.x series most of them were way too generous for items, so that has been tuned down (quite a lot in fact).

Stores have been changed a lot. Now getting ego-items from them is a rarity, and even BM doesn't start to offer them until you have been a lot deeper in the dungeon (those change better with your progress, based on your dlvl or clvl I'm not sure which).

It sounds like you're relying on ego items to give you money. You really need to try a non sellling game. I guarantee a non-selling game will be better for you... try it out and then try to go back...
Scraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013, 17:42   #9
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Actually, I believe he's relying on money to give him ego items. Well, not quite. More like no longer expecting ego items in stores, no longer expecting them from the dungeon, and, if I know anything about Timo, probably rejoicing about both those things. He is the man who played bookless, artifactless hobbit mage in 3.0.3 or something.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2013, 00:55   #10
eMeM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Actually, I believe he's relying on money to give him ego items. Well, not quite. More like no longer expecting ego items in stores, no longer expecting them from the dungeon, and, if I know anything about Timo, probably rejoicing about both those things. He is the man who played bookless, artifactless hobbit mage in 3.0.3 or something.
That was my main inspiration to try bookless artifactless hobbit mage and reason to stay at low depths for 150000 turns. I wouldn't mind if I didn't have any ego item before going to 500'.