Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 8, 2018, 14:06   #1
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
"You hear the fluttering of tiny wings", aka: level feelings - a proposal

I hate the current level feelings with a passion. Others love it. Here's a proposal for level feelings I can live with:

Checks are made against perception on entering the level. Message appears in (delay - success level) turns. Current level feelings display fudged number on failed checks (true value +/- failure levels). Additional check could potentially be added for spawns.

The following to be tracked on level gen:
  • Monster Danger (currently in)
  • Loot Value (currently in)
  • Pits
  • Vaults
  • Closest Monster
  • Highest Level Unique
  • OOD Monsters
  • Quantity >x enemy
  • Quantity >x traps

List can be longer or shorter depending on how ridiculous it gets.

2 Flavour texts(high/low level) per monster category. Unique Orcs would use orc flavour text. Special uniques like the Nazgul could have their own.

e.g. "tiny scratches mark the walls and floor" - little Reptile
"large scratches on the walls mark the passage of a large beast" - large Reptile
"A smell of sulfur pervades the air" - demon
"A toxic slime drips from the walls" - big poison breather

etc.

Edit: Argh. Can correct the tittle spelling but not the url.

Last edited by wobbly; July 8, 2018 at 15:13.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2018, 21:56   #2
Thraalbee
Swordsman

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
As long as we keep getting up to 2-3 vaults and special rooms per level that is going to be hard to implement. I think those are too plentiful, but that is what we see today. You could just ignore vault guardians, but then you would possibly be better of with the current scheme where a high monster value often equals one or more vaults which is important information.
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018, 10:32   #3
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraalbee View Post
As long as we keep getting up to 2-3 vaults and special rooms per level that is going to be hard to implement. I think those are too plentiful, but that is what we see today. You could just ignore vault guardians, but then you would possibly be better of with the current scheme where a high monster value often equals one or more vaults which is important information.
There's also an argument for the reverse too. The trouble is there aren't a lot of options for making the last levels more dangerous other then shrinking space, uping monster density or uping the danger on things that already have too many hps to start with. Big leaky vaults give you a timer mechanism to flood a level with nasties.

Of course there's always just making most of the late game passwall, diggers & dungeon wreckers. Just mess with people building anti-summon corriders to the point you can use a saner number of enemies.

Edit: Maybe large late game dragons could dig? but only if they can't find a reasonable path through shoving aside smaller critters?

Last edited by wobbly; July 9, 2018 at 10:41.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018, 00:40   #4
luneya
Adept

luneya is on a distinguished road
That proposal would work on a game with tiny levels. At present, V is not such a game, nor do I expect it to become one.

I'm fine with the status quo on level feelings. If you don't like having them, you can just turn them off.
luneya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018, 01:46   #5
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
What I'm looking forward to, or rather vainly hoping for, is "special levels" ala FAAngband - "drums in the deep", "land of warlords", etc.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018, 01:48   #6
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
What I'm looking forward to, or rather vainly hoping for, is "special levels" ala FAAngband - "drums in the deep", "land of warlords", etc.
Side note - frog-knows had special levels like this
Old July 9, 2018, 02:55   #7
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Side note - frog-knows had special levels like this
Not the frog-knows I remember. There may have been multiple versions with minor differences though. The only special levels I remember were ones with artifacts on them.

There were also of course the 4 greater vaults, and rather more commonly, you'd find a level where someone had used Word of Destruction already to nuke part of it, but that's about it for unusual levels. ...I still kinda miss destroyed levels. They were cool.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018, 03:19   #8
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
My evidence - this is originally downloaded from rephial. I could be misinterpreting, of course, as I haven't actually played.
Old July 9, 2018, 05:05   #9
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Well there's an opportunity to put some thematic elements in the levels. Since it appears that there are far fewer monsters these days in the second half of the dungeon, we could fill them up with more enemies, in a thematic sense.

One of the issues with themed levels in general Angband gameplay (which occurs with caverns and labyrinths these days) is if the level is below average in terms of risk/reward, then there's no reason to do it. You just reset it. So a themed level which had a bunch of hounds or elementals would just be an ignored level.

One way around this, is to block off sections of the dungeon, so say levels 60-65 were "elemental levels" and they always generate that way. You could skip them for sure, but then you're skipping a good chunk of levels.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018, 05:56   #10
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
My evidence - this is originally downloaded from rephial. I could be misinterpreting, of course, as I haven't actually played.
I definitely do not remember there being any hardcoded levels like that in the version of frog-knows I played. Clearly the genealogy of frog-knows got a bit muddled back then. They certainly didn't survive to the Ben days, so I guess that was a dead-end branch of the tree...
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote