Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old October 27, 2010, 17:23   #11
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Monster and Player should definitely be subclasses of the same base class, since they share many things in common. Personally I'd call the base class Creature, but that's just me.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2010, 05:59   #12
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Seconded. I also figured Creature or Animate was the way to go. After all, Undead aren't living...
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2010, 06:03   #13
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Monster and Player should definitely be subclasses of the same base class, since they share many things in common. Personally I'd call the base class Creature, but that's just me.
An ELO fan, perhaps
Old October 28, 2010, 06:37   #14
Pete Mack
Prophet

On further thought, take a look at the knowledge menus and various *.txt tables in ../lib/edit in various versions of Angband. (Including eg ToME, NPP, FA, Isoband, UnAngband.)

Your object model should plan for all of these relations.
* Spells
* Objects (with optional hasA spell list)
* Terrain Feature
* Display panel (Isoband)

A few other pointers:
You will need a whole lot of Listeners on game turns ... basically everything in dungeon.c`process_world()
While the process_world() model is poor, the class-level registration model for a big feature like this is worse. You're going to need a data-driven [tabular] registration model for this, too.
Old October 28, 2010, 19:37   #15
Tiburon Silverflame
Swordsman

Tiburon Silverflame is on a distinguished road
Not to be pedantic, but Spell is not quite the proper base class...Effect is. This allows 5 sub-classes:

Spell (for @'s spells)
MonsterSpell (for those mana bolts, nether bolts, and such)
BreathWeapon
TrapEffect
ItemEffect
Tiburon Silverflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2010, 07:20   #16
Pete Mack
Prophet

@Tiburon...
Yes, that is pedantic

Spell has a long history in *Band for this kind of thing (spell effects used to be called x-spell.c in the bad old days.) So I stick to "Spell" for some kind of non-standard "invoked" action.

Don't forget, there are other Effects, such as move, shoot, attack, open, disarm, bash, etc.

For this model, what we have now is Command. You might want to generalize it to Action, which basically is a map() call to a group of objects.
(The objects may area, or it may be a player, grid point, or monster alone.)

Actions:
* on behalf of an actor
* take a unit of time (decremented from the actor)
* have an (uniform) affect on a set of Objects, determined by some apply function.

Of course, this kind of thing is bog-standard FP and OO modeling. It's a very cool problem.

Best of luck!
Old October 30, 2010, 18:35   #17
Sirridan
Knight

Sirridan is on a distinguished road
Spell type things take the "caster", "target", and "world" as arguments, just to be standard. A potion of cure light wounds will not care about target or world, but *destruction* does not care about target, etc.

Still no work till Tuesday, so I'll do what I can to have a basic thing working. I want at least a few weapons, armors, an ego or two, maybe an artifact, and a test monster and one or two consumables, just so I (we? ) can get this design model somewhat more concrete before continuing further.
Sirridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2010, 06:05   #18
Sirridan
Knight

Tval and Sval's are being worked on, here's some output:

>>> SVAL_NAMES['edged'][1]
'Dagger'
>>> SVAL_NAMES['edged'][0]
'Long Sword'
>>> SVAL_NAMES['edged'][5]
'Falchion'
>>> SVAL_NAMES['edged'][BLADEOFCHAOS]
'Blade of Chaos'
Old November 1, 2010, 16:52   #19
Sirridan
Knight

Man, made some big changes to things.

For now, edit files are just big python dictionaries, just formatted to be easy to read.
Item, Creature, Monster, etc, just copy the values into their own class, much like how it already works in V.

Will upload later, so essentially, everything that's on Git now is being replaced.
Old November 1, 2010, 18:33   #20
Tiburon Silverflame
Swordsman

Tiburon Silverflame is on a distinguished road
If Effect covers move, bash, et al...that's IMO VERY poor wording. Move is not an effect, it's an action.

And the reason I prefer 'Effect' to 'Spell' is that it's more general; it covers spells, plus things that can't be construed as a 'spell', like a breath weapon. Also, 'Spell' doesn't work well for side effects, such as "hit to confuse" which does damage, AND has an Effect of possibly confusing the target.

The better hierarchy is something like this:

Command: operates strictly at the UI level. There are non-action commands, such as setting options.

Action: move, shoot, bash, browse, cast spell, etc. These are the actor's options to interact within the game. Actions have very few options *in themselves*...most of the options exist at the next level down. That is: when you cast a spell, the *spell* knows its targeting options. With something like 'activate a wand', the detailed sequence would be:

action:
invoke item
update world

item:
check for legal use (has charges left)
go through Effect (my use) to determine targeting.
make activation attempt;
if successful,
apply Effect to Target
decrement charge count/force item recharge
end
exit

Move, open, attack, bash, disarm, and tunnel (at least) all have 1 parameter: direction. Fuel, Read, Quaff, Use staff, Aim wand, Zap, and Activate all use the Invoke Item model. Fire and Throw use ranged targeting, which should be a static call (with a param of max range) which is also used as necessary for Effect's targeting.

Effect has, I believe, the following:
--representation of the effect (what does it do): its apply() method
--range
--target (self, square, or 'victim')
--target type (self, monster, or world)

'victim' is used for side effects, such as Hit to Confuse. Hit to Confuse is an Attack, so its parameter is direction. Its apply() makes the swing, and assuming a hit, does the damage, THEN calls a ConfuseTarget Effect with a set target (the critter to which the damage is being applied) and applies it.

Note that this creates a very natural approach to create, for example, Confusion or Slow weapons/ammo for @'s use, as well as facilitating all the monster special attacks.
Tiburon Silverflame is offline   Reply With Quote