AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old Yesterday, 23:13   #171
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
The Rod Of Probing helped speed up this process, by telling you every detail about a mob, even if you dont wake it up and suffer all its attacks.

So once upon a time, yeah, Probing was a useful tool, for new players. Nowadays, not so much.
Yeah, until Nick made it so monster.txt could be copied and renamed to lore.txt, with every new version of the game (that broke savefile compatability), I would use probing, and a list of all uniques and monsters, slowly checking them off the list. The next @ would try to then leave uniques alive that hadn't been fully identified until getting probing, then go back and search for them, or farm the unpronouncable Q for them, and go back to the town and descend probing every unidentified regular monster. After three or four iterations I would again have a complete knowledge file. So, very, very, glad Nick made that painstaking process unnecessary!
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:22   #172
Petoften
Knight

Petoften is on a distinguished road
Found 4 scrolls of recharging - should I use them on the 2 wands of teleport other or is it too dangerous, just use one when they run out?
Petoften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:52   #173
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
I'd say risky with only 2 (as 1 could go to electric breathe) & riskier to let go below 3 charges. It's really a matter of opinion. I think the dungeon has more devices then I have pack space.
wobbly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:26   #174
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Wait til you are down to 1 charge (or zero), then use 1 scroll. If a wand breaks, use the other. Otherwise save it til you have to use it again. Your odds of success are much lower if you try to charge an already charged wand. Another technique is to put all the wands on the floor ij a line, then recharge them one at a time as you walk over them. This is a particularly useful technique for damage wands, however, but less useful for TO.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote