Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 12, 2017, 11:51   #131
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
Potions of Enlightment (non-*) now reveal the type of treasure across the map, instead of just their location (i.e. Clayrvoyance).
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2017, 13:04   #132
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
Potions of Enlightment (non-*) now reveal the type of treasure across the map, instead of just their location (i.e. Clayrvoyance).
That is the intended behavior. Having them do fuzzy detection was a bug introduced when refactoring the effect code.
Old May 12, 2017, 14:59   #133
Sky
Veteran

that's something which should be reserved for the more powerful *Enlight. pots of enlightment are ridiculously common at depth, and being able to detect everything in a vault is way too OP. (in my opinion)
Old May 12, 2017, 16:10   #134
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
that's something which should be reserved for the more powerful *Enlight. pots of enlightment are ridiculously common at depth, and being able to detect everything in a vault is way too OP. (in my opinion)
That's fine that you think that, and you might be right, but the fact is that the current behavior is not a bug -- it's working as intended. Let's reserve this thread for actual bugs and discuss changes to gameplay elsewhere.

EDIT: I'll take a moment to note the irony of me saying that when we've been spitballing ideas for changing artifacts/egos and other such ideas in this thread.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2017, 17:21   #135
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
There is a bug that causes !Enlightenment to mark ego items sometimes. (Artifacts are left completely un-IDed.) But fuzzy detection from !Enlightenment would make it not worth carrying, unless you don't have ESP. And it pretty much would limit fast exploring to rogues. Detection is not where game play is currently most broken. It's object frequency (with breath attacks and monster status effects not far behind.)
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017, 00:51   #136
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Detection is not where game play is currently most broken. It's object frequency (with breath attacks and monster status effects not far behind.)
Breath attacks? You think I nerfed them too much?
Old May 13, 2017, 03:15   #137
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Nick-- they turn big breathers into patsies for mages and device users--a cl 40 HE elf mage lives on a diet of Huan, Carcharoth, even the Tarrasque. The big dragons are particularly easy meat, as they tend to be obliterated by their summons. (A GWoC stuck behind Ancalagon will do 500 extra damage every few turns, while it does you roughly a !CCW.) I suppose other characters with good distance damage are the same, though I usually don't bother killing those uniques.

In a recent final fight as Mage I left Tarrasque in the area, because it was doing so much damage to Morgoth.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017, 03:43   #138
Sky
Veteran

Resistance Of Scarabatrice FTW.
Old May 13, 2017, 03:45   #139
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Nick-- they turn big breathers into patsies for mages and device users--a cl 40 HE elf mage lives on a diet of Huan, Carcharoth, even the Tarrasque. The big dragons are particularly easy meat, as they tend to be obliterated by their summons. (A GWoC stuck behind Ancalagon will do 500 extra damage every few turns, while it does you roughly a !CCW.) I suppose other characters with good distance damage are the same, though I usually don't bother killing those uniques.

In a recent final fight as Mage I left Tarrasque in the area, because it was doing so much damage to Morgoth.
Right. My feeling is that big breathers were a bit overpowered before, but just changing the breaths in isolation from other monster changes has probably unbalanced things a bit.

My current plan is to get the known bugs fixed, with the intention of then releasing 4.1 unless anything is really too badly unbalanced. Then the monster list revamp will be one of the first things that happens on the way to 4.2, and that will give a chance to work out exactly where breathers fit in the ecosystem.
Old May 13, 2017, 04:00   #140
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
I got more artifact rings based on escaping. I would suggest not basing ring randarts on that one, unless you want to create a large amount of useless rings for some reason.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote