Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Old December 11, 2013, 13:57   #61
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondkalb View Post
If the hive has been built it would show up in the (R)ooms menu. (Probabliy at the end of the list) Type R, navigate to the hive and press t to zoom to where it has been built.
Thanks, tjat did the trick. It really blends in with the plants and the nearby (easily recognizable) natural hive must have moved. Perhaps I'll remove and relocate it.
Old December 13, 2013, 06:04   #62
buzzkill
Prophet

Military success!!! My dwarves managed to kill something other than the native wildlife. A goblin snatcher was easily minced by a couple of militia members. It's almost unfair that I can, on a whim, lock any door, block any exit, and force the goblin-kind back through the heart of my caverns. There is no escape. Well, there was, but not any more.

Which got me thinking about traps and locked doors. Before I read up on them I assumed that my dwarves would be able to navigate their own traps and pass through their own locked doors. Since they apparently can't, I can't envision how to use them passively.

I've been reading a bit about Dwarf Fortress:Masterwork. Seems that without any mods turned on it's just plain old DF (pretty much) with a nicer UI. With mods it takes the game into strange new places, with a nicer UI. Is there a reason I should prefer plain old DF over DF:MW. I mean, I'm already using a tile set and Dwarf Therapist.
Old December 13, 2013, 09:57   #63
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
Dwarfs (and friendly creatures) can safely pass traps. Only if they manage to fall asleep or get knocked down or get caught in webs they may trigger a trap.
Some enemies are able to avoid traps.

Doors are another topic; they can be kept close for all dwarfs or all pets or enemies (though some are able to destroy them). Doors can also be linked to levers or pressure plates which can be set to only trigger on certain weights.
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2013, 23:42   #64
LostTemplar
Knight

LostTemplar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Dwarf Fortress:Masterwork
It has a lot of stuff, if you like a lot of stuff play it. I prefer normal DF for it's simplicity.
LostTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2013, 10:28   #65
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostTemplar View Post
I prefer normal DF for it's simplicity.
Wait, are we speaking about the same game here?
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2013, 11:13   #66
LostTemplar
Knight

Yes, DF is complex, but masterwork DF is 4 times more complex, that is the point. If DF was simple, the more complex version would be an improvement (I allmost never build all of the original DF buildings, and masterwork has 4 times more building types, it is too much).

As for UI I am so used to original unmodded UI, so I find stuff like Therapist redundant and useless.
Old December 14, 2013, 16:41   #67
buzzkill
Prophet

Oh my, where have all the children gone. Goblin raiders keep making off with the new born babes. That can't be good for morale. Because of the wide open nature of my complex, there's not much I can do to stop them. I have since started building walls, but animals keep getting in the way, disrupting construction. This is going take a while to nail down, but lesson learned for my next fort.

Question, can I assign a single member from a squad to guard an entrance/area, or do I need to create a new squad? I don't suspect that one dwarf will be able to stop an intruder, but early warning would go a long way. Normally I don't gat an alert until the snatcher is on his way out the door, and then it's a foot race that I'm not going to win.

What I've learned recently: Several hundred bolts don't last very long, and my hunters complain of "no ammunition" even when ammunition is plentiful and AFAICT allocated to them.
If a dwarf decides to lock himself inside a workshop, it will invariably be a workshop that you need immediate access to, and he'll be demanding things that I've yet to touch upon. Now I have to build a kiln and build myself a way to fuel it, all for the sake of a brick.
Old December 14, 2013, 18:07   #68
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
For alert guarding any animal will do. You can pasture dogs or other animals in your entrance. But, each animal only sees its adjacent tiles if the intruders are sneaky (which thieves are).

If a dwarf has claimed a workshop he is in a mood and will need certain things. Try to get them ASAP or else the poor fellow will snap and either die of melancholism or go on a frenzy killing spree.

For moods, demands, and consequences of failure or success see
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.p...2:Strange_mood
No moody dwarf will require a brick. Check the demands part of the article to work out what you need. Does he require blocks? They are made of stone at the mason's workshop.
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2013, 19:33   #69
LostTemplar
Knight

To make simple defence dig a moat, remove ramps from it, all around your camp. Walls are to hard to do.
Old December 14, 2013, 20:44   #70
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondkalb View Post
For alert guarding any animal will do. You can pasture dogs or other animals in your entrance. But, each animal only sees its adjacent tiles if the intruders are sneaky (which thieves are).
Even better, chain a dog close to the entrance, so that it won't move at all. It won't starve or complain, and it won't block caravans.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote