Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Competition

Old July 12, 2010, 20:26   #51
Roch
Adept

Roch is on a distinguished road
Despite the results so far, I think I agree with Timo. The Dwarf feels faster to me, which may be why my attemps so far have ended in stupid deaths. The better I feel like I'm doing, the more risks I take and so I die. I hope to have the time to give the Dwarf one more try before the comp ends. I'm curious for the same player to have a winner in each comp - not a perfect control but probably the best we can ask for. Not to ignore the impressive feat of joshhimself of doing just that, but he noted that he "didn't realize with the dwarf that I was supposed to be going for active turns and not total turns." And his turn counts are almost the same, so it'd be nice to see if another data point provides at least an anecdotal difference.

Last edited by Roch; July 12, 2010 at 22:25.
Roch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2010, 13:22   #52
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Competitions 89 and 90 have now finished, with Roch the overall winner (with the fastest win, in competition 90), and thapper winning comp 89. Congratulations also to joshhimself for the remarkable feat of getting a game winner in each comp, and to dummy for a winning Darin.
Old July 24, 2010, 16:04   #53
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Competitions 89 and 90 have now finished, with Roch the overall winner (with the fastest win, in competition 90), and thapper winning comp 89. Congratulations also to joshhimself for the remarkable feat of getting a game winner in each comp, and to dummy for a winning Darin.
Based on joshhimself winning chars, I'd say those two are actually pretty similar. What surprised me is that player turns and active turns difference is actually quite a bit less in his Dwarf winner than his H-Troll winner, even that H-Troll has regeneration, which exactly opposite that one would have expected.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2010, 21:43   #54
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Dwarf has about 2x the SP as a H-T, so their absolute regen rate is about the same. (HP is a different story.)
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2010, 04:30   #55
joshhimself
Rookie

joshhimself is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
Based on joshhimself winning chars, I'd say those two are actually pretty similar. What surprised me is that player turns and active turns difference is actually quite a bit less in his Dwarf winner than his H-Troll winner, even that H-Troll has regeneration, which exactly opposite that one would have expected.
That's because I didn't realize that the goal was fewest active turns until after I had already finished with the dwarf. So I played the troll a bit differently, resting more. I even rested at 50' a few times to get the shops to cycle (with the half-troll), since this takes no active turns other than finding the stairs back up.

I feel like the dwarf is actually a faster and easier priest, at least for my playing style - especially in the early and middle game.
joshhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2010, 16:05   #56
darkdrone
Apprentice

darkdrone is on a distinguished road
Congrats to Roch and thapper !

i only had time for playing C90 and came nowhere close to winning , but this is the first game that I got TWO artifact weapons - Forasgil and Glamdring.

also my first priest.