AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old June 22, 2013, 18:43   #21
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatha View Post
We can definitely provide a character with some starting equipment, if that's wanted.

For skill restrictions I'd be interested in seeing how people could get along with, say, no points in Archery, Evasion, or Stealth.
This is an awesome idea, but take off the Human element! Give us a hefty Noldor. This would be so awesome. I've tried a few dozen no evasion warriors, who actively attempt to kill everything. They don't live very long... But, it's pretty frikkin' fun.
HallucinationMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2013, 18:58   #22
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
0 points archery isn't a challenge. (My last winner never touched a bow throughout the whole game but kept some throwing weapons into midgame and then dropped them as well.) 0 points in evasion can only work with a careful archer or a careful assassin or a careful pacifist imo and sounds incredibly hard. 0 points evasion and 0 points stealth is probably impossible.
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2013, 19:26   #23
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
At the very end, when melee ability and damage output are high, there is little need to worry about protection or evasion.

If there was just a way to turn monsters into fine paste reliably in 1 attack round at the start, then you could do it. But how? Even focusing all points into melee, waiting for focused attack and singing slaying... things just don't die fast enough. But, if there was something that could use some exploring, it would be turning things to fine paste in the early game incredibly quickly.
HallucinationMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2013, 19:46   #24
WildKhaine
Scout

WildKhaine is on a distinguished road
No evasion idea is interesting. Just been running some characters through the meat grinder trying it out. Using an Edain Hador with all 3 challenges and no evasion. Can't seem to get any of them past about 250'-300' yet. Really squishy for my playstyle Loads of fun though.
WildKhaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2013, 22:36   #25
bron
Swordsman

Location: Saratoga, California (in the midst of Silicon Valley)
bron is on a distinguished road
I admit I'm not wild about "no evasion", but I think that's mostly because I really like Sprinting and Flanking. Competition options that I personally like are: (1) A Naugrim, but start with a (normal weight) mithril corslet. (2) A Noldor Fingolfin, but require no Songs and no Smithing. And maybe no-artifacts thrown in for good measure.

[Historically I'm not real good at competitions because I play too slow, and "fewest turns" is usually part of the scoring criteria. But I admit I'll probably play in whatever sort of Sil competition there may be.]
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2013, 03:53   #26
bron
Swordsman

Location: Saratoga, California (in the midst of Silicon Valley)
bron is on a distinguished road
Another interesting (to me anyway) option might be Halucination Mushroom's "45,000xp" challenge.
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2013, 07:10   #27
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Perhaps a 45000xp challenge with the points semi-allocated could be interesting. Giving you a number of abilities and giving you the opportunity to buy some favourites, but still limiting character power.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2013, 11:24   #28
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Well, I've done a Quickband comp for now, so you guys have a week or two to get yourselves organised.
Old June 24, 2013, 21:53   #29
taptap
Knight

Just to make a concrete proposal:

House of Hador, 3/2/3/1 stats, polearm mastery and simple glaive + great spear + some spears in the starting equipment + commitment to use polearms as main weapon (winner is who kills most great dragons (incl. dragon uniques - well this can't be seen from the char dump, so make it the highest xp haul)
Old August 15, 2013, 18:32   #30
taptap
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildKhaine View Post
No evasion idea is interesting. Just been running some characters through the meat grinder trying it out. Using an Edain Hador with all 3 challenges and no evasion. Can't seem to get any of them past about 250'-300' yet. Really squishy for my playstyle Loads of fun though.
Hehe, I did it (http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=14774), but I guess people weren't talking about singers when saying no evasion.

Can we revive this thread? I would like to see one, two, many competitions, don't actually mind what kind of competition.