AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old January 24, 2014, 08:52   #11
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fendell Orcbane View Post
Nope. I used to take cropping shot. But its been nerved and besides Flaming arrows can get kill rather than slow enemies down so I'd rather get that first. Before 1.2.1 I *never* took point blank archery...now its a must. But I used to get Flaming arrows before precision. Then the Dex point. Because the Dex point is so useful. I also take Rapid fire late in the game since generally I like to pump my archery up so that each shot is hitting hard as possible. Generally point blank archery is good for the early game...but it helped out with my last winner since Morgoth was right next to me.
You probably have decent evasion and armour and probably way more constitution, I tend to have only enough for sprinting and hardly enough of those to support lengthy close quarter fights - that's why I build around either stealth or Elbereth.

As I am fond of focus / concentration and high perception I often get work out of crippling shot even nerfed as it is as compared to 1.0.x. And I am all for a longbow as initial weapon and 2 or 3 str (now more than ever) - which makes flaming arrows less mandatory as they may look with a 1d7 1lb bow. I have much less trouble with running out of ammo since I switched to initial longbow.
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2014, 11:29   #12
evilmike
Scout

evilmike is on a distinguished road
The easiest two wins I've had in sil were archers, I think both were sindars of fingolfin, one of them on the ladder. Getting your first bow is the hardest part, but you can just craft a bow if you want, the xp cost won't really hurt you in the long run (and as you play, it's nice to get free ammo from forges anyway, enough to have flaming arrows on during most fights). Take enough stealth so you can pick most of your fights (you shouldn't need a ton of stealth), take crippling shot and sprinting so you can kite stuff. Don't forget to increase your dex. If you want melee, just take versatility, which gives you enough melee for backup purposes. Although it looks like in 1.2 point blank archery may be a better idea.

Something I also like to do to make archery a bit nicer, is keymap 'v' to 'ff' and 'V' to 'Ff', since it lets me shoot my target with 1 keystroke instead of 2.

Overall I think it's the easiest character build to win the game with.
evilmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2014, 16:45   #13
Fendell Orcbane
Swordsman

Fendell Orcbane is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by taptap View Post
You probably have decent evasion and armour and probably way more constitution, I tend to have only enough for sprinting and hardly enough of those to support lengthy close quarter fights - that's why I build around either stealth or Elbereth.

As I am fond of focus / concentration and high perception I often get work out of crippling shot even nerfed as it is as compared to 1.0.x. And I am all for a longbow as initial weapon and 2 or 3 str (now more than ever) - which makes flaming arrows less mandatory as they may look with a 1d7 1lb bow. I have much less trouble with running out of ammo since I switched to initial longbow.
Well I pretty much do the same staff that you do : ) Granted I probably take focus/concentration later in the game than you might.
Fendell Orcbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2014, 16:47   #14
Fendell Orcbane
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmike View Post

Yup : ) I totally agree which is why I'm surprised at the lack of archers on the ladder.
Old January 24, 2014, 18:57   #15
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
I think that's actually why you don't see many of them -- it gets dull after a while
Old January 24, 2014, 23:59   #16
Fendell Orcbane
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
I think that's actually why you don't see many of them -- it gets dull after a while
Well I can sort of buy that...cause I'm at the point myself... I'm not so sure of that.
Old January 25, 2014, 09:24   #17
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmike View Post
Don't agree. Most of all there is no single "archer build", there are several. Stealth / no stealth, heavy bow / light bow, fear / no fear, lazy archer (w/ song of mastery), additional melee capabilities or none at all ... In 1.1 you could also make a 0.9 lb shortbow and go machine gunning with early rapid fire. If "hunters" (perception+stealth archer) become dull after you won a few times try something different, but you don't have to become a brawler to do so
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2014, 21:33   #18
locus
Adept

locus is on a distinguished road
I felt like melee fighter was the most natural way to try to play, and there's enough depth to that playstyle that I haven't really felt the need to branch out to others.
locus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2014, 14:28   #19
darkdrone
Apprentice

darkdrone is on a distinguished road
going up against archer enemies is NOT fun.... in the early game... haven't yet survived into the late-game, I'm not in a position to comment....