Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 25, 2014, 18:59   #1
darkdrone
Apprentice
 
darkdrone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 72
darkdrone is on a distinguished road
[PosChengband] Quylthulg Evolution Tree?

I had a fantastic time playing the Quylthulg in the Comp.

Was just wondering, is there anyway I can NOT evolve into a Rotting Quylthulg from a Nexus Quylthulg? apologies if this has been answered before somewhere.....

Is there an evolution path/tree ?
I was summoning Ancient Dragons and then i evolve, blamm.... only rotting corpses and disembodied hands and undead jellies.

also, i never managed to call Dark Elves at all... orcs,hounds,elementals,Giants,yes. but no elves.
__________________
"When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche.
(does this mean the RNG learns my worst fears, mummy?)
darkdrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2014, 19:40   #2
chris
PosChengband Maintainer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 702
chris is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdrone View Post
I had a fantastic time playing the Quylthulg in the Comp.

Was just wondering, is there anyway I can NOT evolve into a Rotting Quylthulg from a Nexus Quylthulg? apologies if this has been answered before somewhere.....

Is there an evolution path/tree ?
I was summoning Ancient Dragons and then i evolve, blamm.... only rotting corpses and disembodied hands and undead jellies.

also, i never managed to call Dark Elves at all... orcs,hounds,elementals,Giants,yes. but no elves.
Evolution after the Nexus Q is random, so you have a 1 in 3 shot of evolving into a Rotting Q. The other options are Draconic Q and Demonic Q ... Is Rotting really that much worse than the other two? (BTW, each of these branches has another evolution to the corresponding greater Q form at CL40, until they all finally merge back on the Master Q at CL50).

For Dark Elves, check your alignment (or better yet, turn off the birth option for the virtue system next time!). If you are of good alignment, then you will be unable to summon evil monsters, and vice versa. Perhaps Demonic/Rotting forms should be forced evil, but, alas, I'm not near my development machine at the moment.
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2014, 19:36   #3
darkdrone
Apprentice
 
darkdrone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 72
darkdrone is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
Evolution after the Nexus Q is random, so you have a 1 in 3 shot of evolving into a Rotting Q. The other options are Draconic Q and Demonic Q ... Is Rotting really that much worse than the other two? (BTW, each of these branches has another evolution to the corresponding greater Q form at CL40, until they all finally merge back on the Master Q at CL50).

For Dark Elves, check your alignment (or better yet, turn off the birth option for the virtue system next time!). If you are of good alignment, then you will be unable to summon evil monsters, and vice versa. Perhaps Demonic/Rotting forms should be forced evil, but, alas, I'm not near my development machine at the moment.
Thanks Chris for clearing that up.... hmm guess the "Good" alignment must be causing the summons to fail with "Nobody answers your call for help".

Rotting Q isnt really bad ... just that the Dragon/Giant/golem summons of Nexus Q made me overconfident i guess...
__________________
"When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche.
(does this mean the RNG learns my worst fears, mummy?)
darkdrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2014, 22:55   #4
chris
PosChengband Maintainer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 702
chris is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdrone View Post
Rotting Q isnt really bad ... just that the Dragon/Giant/golem summons of Nexus Q made me overconfident i guess...
I have a hunch the early summons are too strong. At some point, I will probably cap these abilities. For example, summon dragon should never pull ancient dragons. Summon giant should never pull anything higher then Fire/Frost Giants (i.e., no titans, hrus or elder giants). And so forth.

As for alignment, I think the best change would be to remove the alignment restrictions on summons for the quylthulg. As you noticed, a "good" rotting Q just can't summon anything useful, which is devastating as summoning is all they have.

But I am planning a long break from playing/coding, so I'm not sure when I might get around to this ...
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2014, 01:12   #5
ThunderToads
Scout
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 46
ThunderToads is on a distinguished road
I think there should be a monster called a Quylthulg Evolution Tree
ThunderToads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2014, 03:35   #6
HugoTheGreat2011
Veteran
 
HugoTheGreat2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: East Coast, U.S.
Age: 38
Posts: 1,107
HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderToads View Post
I think there should be a monster called a Quylthulg Evolution Tree
It should be a *special* Quylthulg that rapidly eveovles perhaps into *multiple* stronger forms every time the initial form gets killed...similar to what happens with Iketa the Brave.
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[Announce] PosChengband 1.0.0 chris Variants 411 October 19, 2014 08:22
[PosChengband] Random? chris Variants 0 October 1, 2013 21:52
PosChengband Options mrrstark Variants 0 September 14, 2013 00:43
Extraneous typedefs in PosChengband Therem Harth Variants 8 May 3, 2013 21:52
"The draconic quylthulg changes!" perdaniel Vanilla 7 September 14, 2011 09:12


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.