Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old January 25, 2014, 18:59   #1
darkdrone
Apprentice

darkdrone is on a distinguished road
[PosChengband] Quylthulg Evolution Tree?

I had a fantastic time playing the Quylthulg in the Comp.

Was just wondering, is there anyway I can NOT evolve into a Rotting Quylthulg from a Nexus Quylthulg? apologies if this has been answered before somewhere.....

Is there an evolution path/tree ?
I was summoning Ancient Dragons and then i evolve, blamm.... only rotting corpses and disembodied hands and undead jellies.

also, i never managed to call Dark Elves at all... orcs,hounds,elementals,Giants,yes. but no elves.
Old January 25, 2014, 19:40   #2
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

chris is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdrone View Post
I had a fantastic time playing the Quylthulg in the Comp.

Was just wondering, is there anyway I can NOT evolve into a Rotting Quylthulg from a Nexus Quylthulg? apologies if this has been answered before somewhere.....

Is there an evolution path/tree ?
I was summoning Ancient Dragons and then i evolve, blamm.... only rotting corpses and disembodied hands and undead jellies.

also, i never managed to call Dark Elves at all... orcs,hounds,elementals,Giants,yes. but no elves.
Evolution after the Nexus Q is random, so you have a 1 in 3 shot of evolving into a Rotting Q. The other options are Draconic Q and Demonic Q ... Is Rotting really that much worse than the other two? (BTW, each of these branches has another evolution to the corresponding greater Q form at CL40, until they all finally merge back on the Master Q at CL50).

For Dark Elves, check your alignment (or better yet, turn off the birth option for the virtue system next time!). If you are of good alignment, then you will be unable to summon evil monsters, and vice versa. Perhaps Demonic/Rotting forms should be forced evil, but, alas, I'm not near my development machine at the moment.
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2014, 19:36   #3
darkdrone
Apprentice

darkdrone is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
Evolution after the Nexus Q is random, so you have a 1 in 3 shot of evolving into a Rotting Q. The other options are Draconic Q and Demonic Q ... Is Rotting really that much worse than the other two? (BTW, each of these branches has another evolution to the corresponding greater Q form at CL40, until they all finally merge back on the Master Q at CL50).

For Dark Elves, check your alignment (or better yet, turn off the birth option for the virtue system next time!). If you are of good alignment, then you will be unable to summon evil monsters, and vice versa. Perhaps Demonic/Rotting forms should be forced evil, but, alas, I'm not near my development machine at the moment.
Thanks Chris for clearing that up.... hmm guess the "Good" alignment must be causing the summons to fail with "Nobody answers your call for help".

Rotting Q isnt really bad ... just that the Dragon/Giant/golem summons of Nexus Q made me overconfident i guess...
Old January 26, 2014, 22:55   #4
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

chris is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdrone View Post
Rotting Q isnt really bad ... just that the Dragon/Giant/golem summons of Nexus Q made me overconfident i guess...
I have a hunch the early summons are too strong. At some point, I will probably cap these abilities. For example, summon dragon should never pull ancient dragons. Summon giant should never pull anything higher then Fire/Frost Giants (i.e., no titans, hrus or elder giants). And so forth.

As for alignment, I think the best change would be to remove the alignment restrictions on summons for the quylthulg. As you noticed, a "good" rotting Q just can't summon anything useful, which is devastating as summoning is all they have.

But I am planning a long break from playing/coding, so I'm not sure when I might get around to this ...
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2014, 01:12   #5
ThunderToads
Scout

ThunderToads is on a distinguished road
I think there should be a monster called a Quylthulg Evolution Tree
ThunderToads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2014, 03:35   #6
HugoTheGreat2011
Veteran

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderToads View Post
I think there should be a monster called a Quylthulg Evolution Tree
It should be a *special* Quylthulg that rapidly eveovles perhaps into *multiple* stronger forms every time the initial form gets killed...similar to what happens with Iketa the Brave.
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote