Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 24, 2018, 04:11   #1
SethaWetha
Rookie

SethaWetha is on a distinguished road
Best race/class combo to win with?

I just started playing for the first time about a week ago. After about a dozen games dying at level 10 I finally made it to CL 46 (almost 47) as a Gnome Mage on my first go. I really like Mage but the low HP had me killed in one hit right after my frost resist ran out. I want to try a new class, but Mage is great too. What's the best, or at least a very good race/class combo to win with?

Last edited by SethaWetha; May 24, 2018 at 04:31. Reason: typo
SethaWetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2018, 05:29   #2
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
If you want to stick with mage, high elf has more hit points than gnome, though it still takes a while to get to the critical ~650 mark where youre all but safe from 1-shot.

I can recommend troll priest, if you are up for something different. Unlike mage, you have to kill stuff with a mace till your damage spell - orb of draining - kicks in; you get it at level 9. At the start, max out wisdom and put the rest in strength. The bless spell is useful for early melee.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2018, 07:24   #3
dos350
Knight

dos350 is on a distinguished road
dwarf priest is very safe
high elf warrior is nice for beginner
dunadain paladin is very fun

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++
dos350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2018, 08:07   #4
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
It depends entirely on your playstyle. If you feel a need.to kill everything, clearing levels as you go, then warrior is your best bet,with one of the good melee races. If you like sneaking around deep in the dungeon, picking up loot, then HE/kobold rogue is the way to go. If you are patient, but want to end up with an unkillable character, then paladin, probably dwarf or Dunadan. Mage is pretty fragile, so it's a difficult class for a starting player.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2018, 11:20   #5
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
dunedain paladin is anything except fun.

i would say half orc rogue. you would basically be a warrior with the added bonus of being able to cast your basic utility spells, and while your magic skill does go down around CL20, once you reach CL35~37 and start to cast TO, you become basically invincible. Bonus STR helps much, and the XP curve is rather forgiving.

Dunedain ranger is the ultimate class, high stats everywhere, high damage, healing spells (just Phase and cast a ton of CLW), TO, Rune, resistance, the only thing you don't have is MBan.

i'm on the fence with Mage. Sure you do get all those great spells but you'll always be in danger, no matter how careful you are - one unlucky TS and it's over.

or just play Blackguard and keep your movement key pressed.
Old May 24, 2018, 12:49   #6
dos350
Knight

dos350 is on a distinguished road
wow anything except fun? thats a heavy abuse

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++
dos350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2018, 15:27   #7
SethaWetha
Rookie

SethaWetha is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
I can recommend troll priest, if you are up for something different. Unlike mage, you have to kill stuff with a mace till your damage spell - orb of draining - kicks in; you get it at level 9. At the start, max out wisdom and put the rest in strength. The bless spell is useful for early melee.
Is troll priest much better than dwarf paladin? They can't cast spells quite as well but the dwarf paladin gets a higher hit die and better stats.
SethaWetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2018, 15:57   #8
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethaWetha View Post
Is troll priest much better than dwarf paladin? They can't cast spells quite as well but the dwarf paladin gets a higher hit die and better stats.
Priest or paladin make a huge difference playstyle wise; the former is a caster (like the mage) who uses spells for damage for most of the game, the latter is a warrior who always uses melee and/or archery, supported by utility spells.

Dwarf or half-troll race dont make nearly as much difference. They are almost the same.

Edit: As a consequence, if you decide to go for paladin, put your starting points into str and dex, and nothing in wis.

Last edited by Estie; May 24, 2018 at 16:51.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2018, 17:58   #9
bunnies
Scout

bunnies is on a distinguished road
FWIW, I've never managed to beat the game with Warrior, have a few Priest wins and a larger number of Mage wins. I've never played the other classes seriously.

I find Mage easiest to play, and since starting 4.1.2 I've beaten the game with {HighElf, Elf, Kobold, Hobbit, Dwarf} Mage. I would say Dwarf Mage or Troll Mage would be easier because of their higher HP pools.

Some tips when I play Mage: the most dangerous depths would be ~1750', since you'd normally have around ~150hp and its common to meet OOD monsters that can 1shot you with mind blasting spell / breaths e.g. Dreadmasters, Ethereal Dragons. Once you overcome this part of the game it becomes much easier, carry mapping and rods of treasure detection, and use stone to mud and TO liberally. Grab treasure and run, crack open vaults and TO dangerous uniques. Drujs are good XP if you can offscreen or LOS them. Can't overstate stone to mud, it's one of my most favourite spells to use, manipulate the environment to your advantage. I also R& all the time, unless you're going for low turn count. Turn on the lights, light the corridors, position yourself well before resting.

[edit] Also, I squelch money (when its no longer an issue), ammo, most bows. I rely almost entirely on magical devices and spells. I melee only at much higher levels, against weaker enemies when I want to conserve mana. I don't like having to pickup and manage ammo, so I ignore range entirely, bows are purely stat sticks. Of course this might not be the best/most efficient way to play, but it works well for me, YMMV. Everyone's playstyle is different, find out what works for you
bunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018, 06:58   #10
brbrbr
Adept

brbrbr is on a distinguished road
Dwarf warrior
Dwarf priest
Kobold rogue
brbrbr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
herlp