Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old June 10, 2018, 00:31   #21
grodrigues
Rookie

grodrigues is on a distinguished road
Another newb question. My weaponsmith is beginner in maces and xbows, but the character sheet says +5 bonus to hit for the melee mace weapon and +13 to the xbow. Is this correct? And if yes, what is the rationale for the +10 to ranged weapons for same skill level?

Last edited by grodrigues; June 10, 2018 at 00:32. Reason: add missing words.
grodrigues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2018, 01:43   #22
Sideways
Swordsman

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by grodrigues View Post
Another newb question. My weaponsmith is beginner in maces and xbows, but the character sheet says +5 bonus to hit for the melee mace weapon and +13 to the xbow. Is this correct? And if yes, what is the rationale for the +10 to ranged weapons for same skill level?
Crossbows have a flatter proficiency scale than everything except crossbows. The normal scale goes from -20 to +20, but the crossbow scale goes from +0 to +20.

I'm not sure why that is (it was like that when I got here), though I do believe that historically, the main military advantage of the crossbow was indeed that it didn't require very much training (unlike its direct rival the longbow).
Old June 10, 2018, 02:36   #23
TauzentBlitz
Rookie

TauzentBlitz is on a distinguished road
My alchemist is gaining temporary telepathy every time I look at a potion of enlightenment? Noticed it when I first examined one in the black market.
TauzentBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2018, 13:31   #24
Sideways
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TauzentBlitz View Post
My alchemist is gaining temporary telepathy every time I look at a potion of enlightenment? Noticed it when I first examined one in the black market.
That is definitely not supposed to happen, thanks for reporting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocht View Post
Looks like something has gone wrong with telepathy, with the cloak of Jack of Shadows I was aware of quylthugs and rotting quylthugs
Now that I think of it, perhaps what we are noticing is intended
This is not supposed to happen either; but I can't reproduce it, except with the quylthulgs in LOS obviously, or in wizard mode, or (in the case of the rotting quylthulgs) a different item that gives ~Evil. Can you post a savefile where it happens, or report the exact circumstances where it happens with the quylthulgs not in LOS (and without a more specific applicable telepathy like ~Evil)? Which options had you changed from defaults?

Last edited by Sideways; June 10, 2018 at 13:38.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2018, 15:54   #25
Sideways
Swordsman

Quote:
In a vault I found "Paper armour of Elvenkind [4, +22] (+3) {Sl;AcElFiCoCaDi}", is that a bug
Nothing there looks like a bug. If you mean the second high resist, that's not unusual at deep levels.
Old June 11, 2018, 17:42   #26
CyclopsSlayer
Swordsman

CyclopsSlayer is on a distinguished road
Bug?

Started a Ninja.
Always before the limits on armor weight have been 10+(Level*0.4) pounds.
As a 22 Ninja that says I should be able to wear 18.8 pounds before 'Heavy Armor'. BUT, under Mango I am getting the heavy armor alert at 17 pounds. Has the formula changed?

Character found here - Whisper
CyclopsSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2018, 20:16   #27
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Dark bolt in death 3 does less damage for more mana then nether bolt in death 2. This used to be balanced by everything resisting nether. Now just about everything that resists nether also resists dark & the spell was always a pain to start with from the loss of sight.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2018, 20:40   #28
Sideways
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsSlayer View Post
Started a Ninja.
Always before the limits on armor weight have been 10+(Level*0.4) pounds.
As a 22 Ninja that says I should be able to wear 18.8 pounds before 'Heavy Armor'. BUT, under Mango I am getting the heavy armor alert at 17 pounds. Has the formula changed?

Character found here - Whisper
The formula changed in either strawberry or peppermint, I forget which. It's now 12.5+(level*0.2) lbs for ninjas and ninja-lawyers (other classes with weight limits, like monks and force-trainers, still use the old formula).
Old June 11, 2018, 21:11   #29
CyclopsSlayer
Swordsman

CyclopsSlayer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
The formula changed in either strawberry or peppermint, I forget which. It's now 12.5+(level*0.2) lbs for ninjas and ninja-lawyers (other classes with weight limits, like monks and force-trainers, still use the old formula).
Thank you. Been a while since I played a Ninja. Seems fairly crippling to Ninjas with a max armor weight at L50 of 22.5, versus 30. No DSM wearing Ninjas anymore.
CyclopsSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2018, 17:35   #30
Sideways
Swordsman

Quote:
  • With the mauler skill "close in", selecting the skill then cancelling cancels the action, but the cost in HP is still deducted
    [...]
Thanks, a few quick comments:

- Quest rewards cannot be lost *just* because the player has a full pack (the reward is dumped outside); however, if the player then does some routine-feeling thing like going back in to request a new quest without picking up the reward first, then the reward will be lost. While avoidable, this is obviously not player-friendly, and I'll try to think of some solution to it.

- Showing item weight on examination is a good idea.

- Adding the life rating in the character sheet is also something I'll probably do.

- I don't think most players auto-center the map while walking; certainly I don't. You can make it a default setting in your own copy either by using the same savefile repeatedly (thereby inheriting the old player's options as defaults) or by editing pref-opt.prf.

- Displaying weapon damage for non-equipped weapons is a good suggestion, but one that would be very tricky to implement. Vanilla does this, and it has been a constant headache to maintainers. Implementing it here might be even harder, since Vanilla doesn't have to worry about multiple weapon slots.

- Telling the player that unimprovable items are unimprovable seems reasonable (the same goes for items that can be enchanted but aren't affected by it, like robes of the twilight).

- It will always be possible for the same randart name to appear repeatedly, because the list of randart names is finite and will be exhausted eventually. What could be done is make sure no name will appear twice before the list is exhausted, but it's a lot simpler from a maintaining point of view to simply allow it to happen, and trust that it doesn't happen too often (or at least too obviously too often) as long as the list has enough names. I will probably add more names for randart rings in the next version.

- Artifact quivers have been suggested before, it's an interesting concept but I don't really have any great ideas for what an artifact quiver would actually do.

- I have no idea whether glove slays not applying to unarmed combat was originally intended or not. I would say that 1) it feels strange from a logic point of view but 2) before I change it, I'd like to hear from players with monk experience what it would do to monk balance, and whether it would make unarmed combat too strong (my instinct is that it probably would).

- I will look into Close In, it doesn't feel like something that should be uncancellable.

Tags
frogcomposband