Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old October 17, 2008, 06:00   #11
Djabanete
Knight

Djabanete is on a distinguished road
I think you're carrying around a somewhat ludicrous amount of ?Identify. It just doesn't make sense to identify every little weapon or armor that gets dropped --- focus on the stuff that has a high likelihood of being good, such as unique drops and stuff that comes out of vaults. Remember that artifacts cannot be destroyed, so whenever you pass over a weapon or armor without identifying it, make sure to try to destroy it on the off-chance that it's an artifact.

Also, don't bother selling anything that's not an ego item. (Example: Dagger of Flame (+5, +5) vs Dagger (+5,+5)). Ego armors tend not to sell very high unless they're Resistance or Elvenkind; weapons sell much higher. The purpose of all this is to spare you trips to the town; if you destroy junk weapons and armor, and identify potentially good weapons and armor, and only sell the ego weapons, you'll maximize your dungeon exploration time.

You should always carry CCW, since it cures basic status disorders.
You should always carry Scrolls of Holy Chant and Potions of Heroism, since they *really* have an effect when you get into a tough fight.
The Staves of Teleportation and Speed are good. So are the Scrolls of Recharging.
The Rod of Cold Balls seems nice, but possibly redundant with all the arrows.
I think you should have Scrolls of Phase Door and Scrolls of Teleportation too, because sometimes you need that 0% fail rate when it's time to escape.
All this takes up inventory slots, but when you stop obsessing over selling every little item (), you'll realize that you only need a couple of free slots anyway. Try not to carry so much that you find yourself slowed down --- that +2 speed is precious.

You should also familiarize yourself a bit with macros. (The command used to be @, but maybe now it's under =, which is the options menu). My typical configuration is to set Tab to full rest. In addition, with a ranged character like yours, you should do the following:
Inscribe ( "{" ) your primary arrow stack "@1 =g". The "=g" means that you will pick them up automatically when you step on them.
Now make a macro so that pressing "1" will execute "f1*t", which will then shoot an arrow at the nearest monster.
Sorry if any of that is out of date, I haven't played V since 3.0.6.

In terms of RNG karma, you're due (if you'll excuse this butchery of probability theory) to find a decent melee weapon soon, something that actually gives you more than one blow and does some damage. Ideally you'd want a Defender or a Westernesse, and there are some nice artifact weapons that could turn up at this depth.

Rangers are pretty durable, so an experienced RL player like yourself actually has a shot at winning even if you're new to the game. But don't be surprised if you die, it's the expected outcome
Have fun, explore, and just remember: as you get better, you can become *WAY* faster at getting to this stage of the game; it won't be far-fetched to get to depth 30 in just a couple hours of realtime. So if you die, don't sweat it, next time it won't take as long.
Djabanete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2008, 13:36   #12
Funksultan
Rookie

Funksultan is on a distinguished road
Excellent advice! Thanks guys!

A stack of !CCW is gonna be with me soon. Remember though, I'm a ranger, so {good} and {cursed} is all I'll ever get outta puesdo-id, and even then, it's not fast. Other than IDing everything, not sure I can tell the difference between potential artifacts, and junk.

Some of this stems from my last char. Warrior, and was selling off stuff in town. Almost everything had puesdoed, and I ?IDed everything that was good or better for the cash. The ONLY thing I sold without IDing was a metal cap. Yeah, Thengel. He wanted 35k to buy it back, and I only had 17k. Not sure what I'm supposed to do besides ID everything, excepting broken swords, etc. Hell, even a dagger of westernese, defender or x-attks is gonna be worth it.

I could definitely use a primer on macros. Is there one posted somewhere that can give a good guide to a few basic ones? (love the fire arrow one btw) I have a few other basics that would be great as well (detection spells, use phial for light, otherwise cast light, etc).

While diving, I get a "superb" level feeling. Looking around the level, for the most part I just see a few bricks of mobs (usually orcs and trolls). Are these generating the feeling? Are they ever worth clearing out? I've cleaned a few of them, but they are ammo-drainers, and I still can't take a pounding in hth. (do I need more armor?) Granted, a *lot* of stuff drops from clearing these messes, but I can't tell if it's worth it, or should I be avoiding it and looking for artifacts and !+stat laying on the ground on the next level.

Thanks! (expect me to have a YASD story and a new char by the start of next week)
Funksultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2008, 18:13   #13
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
I agree that with a ranger you need to ?id a lot. The trick, IMO, is to dive faster and kill fewer monsters.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2008, 01:02   #14
Djabanete
Knight

Re:Thengel : that's why it's better to destroy items rather than sell them un-ID'd. (If you had tried to destroy it, you'd get a "can't destroy" message and you'd have a Metal Cap {indestructible} which you'd know was an artifact. Or you can wait for pseudo-ID.)

Re:Level feelings : Level feelings tend to get jacked up when there are:
(A) Vaults
(B) Pits
(C) out-of-depth monsters or items.

Packs of orcs or trolls won't make a "superb" level feeling. If you find a superb level that doesn't have a vault or a pit, make sure to scan carefully for out-of-depth items.
Old October 19, 2008, 13:29   #15
aeneas
Adept

aeneas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
I think that you'd enjoy the game much more and have much better survival rates if you stop collecting {good} items.
How is he supposed to tell the difference? He's a ranger. His pseudo won't tell him the difference between good and excellent, so he's going to have to ID everything good anyway. I wouldn't carry 80 ?ID, but I often do carry 30 or so as a ranger, and I might also keep the other 80 at home.

And, if you still need money, throwing away a dagger of flame rather than selling it is just.. bad advice. It's light and it's worth a lot. And Iding only things you "think" might be good is also terrible advice, IMHO. As a ranger, you should carry enough ID that you can ID almost everything. If you start tossing stuff that Ids {good} you will wind up tossing daggers of Westernesse, etc. 80 ?id is too many (because they're heavy), but it's better than having too few.

Anyway, this guy is not diving. He's dicking around in the lower levels, learning the game. He'll get killed a few times doing that. He'll eventually learn a few lessons from that, and hopefully they won't be "don't id things if you're a ranger" or "throw away light ego weapons while you still need money and you have slots to spare."

What we usually get here is someone who has been playing Angband for years without getting much past 1500'. It makes sense to give that sort of player counter-intuitive advice... the obvious is certainly not working for him, so he might as well try the counter-intuitive. He knows so much about the game that once you give him permission to do the "wrong" thing he posts a winner pretty quickly.

Funksultan is different. First, his combination of avatar and name is an obvious ploy by the enemies of the funk.. who actually posts an avatar to a board with this few posts anyway? And I need sunglasses to look at you wearing sunglasses, man... incredibly thick sunglasses. But I digress.

Sir Nose D'Voidvfunk says that the longbow is better. Go ahead and die a lot in the 30s. Find your own strategies. When they stop working, the starchild will bring you back here for further instruction, and Sir nose will dance the funky funk.
aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2008, 00:18   #16
Big Al
Swordsman

Donated: $18.32
Big Al is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas View Post
How is he supposed to tell the difference? He's a ranger. His pseudo won't tell him the difference between good and excellent, so he's going to have to ID everything good anyway. I wouldn't carry 80 ?ID, but I often do carry 30 or so as a ranger, and I might also keep the other 80 at home.
Well, if he's carrying around 80 ID scrolls, then I'm sure he has enough to id a lot of the {good} stuff he finds and see if it's excellent or not. That's was I was trying to say. Maybe I should have said ego instead of excellent to avoid the confusion.
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2008, 02:54   #17
Djabanete
Knight

Quote:
How is he supposed to tell the difference? He's a ranger. His pseudo won't tell him the difference between good and excellent, so he's going to have to ID everything good anyway.
Yep.

Quote:
And, if you still need money, throwing away a dagger of flame rather than selling it is just.. bad advice.
I said he should sell the Dagger of Flame and ditch the Dagger (+5,+5). Isn't that what you would do?

Quote:
And Iding only things you "think" might be good is also terrible advice, IMHO.
I retract that advice. I had more or less forgotten how to play a Ranger.
Old October 20, 2008, 04:03   #18
Funksultan
Rookie

Funksultan is on a distinguished road
Interesting stuff. I tried like hell to follow aeneas' thoughts, but they drifted from advice, to what mighta been sarcasm, to some mythical equasion that links posts to avatars. There might be something useful in it, but better to destroy the post, and see if there's an artifact in there.

Didn't play a ton, but made it through the weekend. Got some upgrades, but again, looking for more advice.

Dlvl 37, and the feeling of danger is just crippling. So many of the uniques and even regular mobs, some OOD, can rub me out without even trying. (Had an Ancient dragon actually bring me to 1 hp, yikes!). Hounds are EVERYWHERE and they eat my possessions like candy. I don't even give gravity hounds a chance, I just port away and scoot. I've already read too many horror stories.

The bow and the regular arrows just aren't getting it done, nor is melee. I need big damage, and I need it in a hurry. Even standard inhabitants are just taking way way to long to kill. What do I need to do? Will I be running from nearly everything for the rest of the game, or is my gear just that far behind?

Thanks!

D

[Angband 3.0.9b Character Dump]

Name Elric VI Self RB CB EB Best
Sex Male Age 115 STR: 18/30 +1 +2 +0 18/60
Race High-Elf Height 89 INT: 15 +3 +2 +0 18/20
Class Ranger Weight 203 WIS: 9 -1 +0 +1 9
Title Guide Status 33 Dex: 17 +3 +1 +0 18/30 18/20
HP 377/377 Maximize Y CON: 18/73 +1 +1 +0 18/93
SP 38/38 CHR: 15 +5 +1 +0 18/30

Level 29 Armor [29,+40] Saving Throw Superb
Cur Exp 156872 Fight (+7,+8) Stealth Superb
Max Exp 156872 Melee (+15,+16) Fighting Superb
Adv Exp 172500 Shoot (+16,+8) Shooting Legendary
MaxDepth Lev 37 Blows 4/turn Disarming Excellent
Turns 723735 Shots 3/turn Magic Device Heroic
Gold 50061 Infra 40 ft Perception Superb
Burden 201.4 lbs Speed 2 Searching Superb

You are one of several children of a Telerin Ranger. You have light
grey eyes, wavy blond hair, and a fair complexion.

abcdefghijkl@ abcdefghijkl@
Acid:........+.... Blind:.............
Elec:......+.+.... Confu:.............
Fire:........+.... Sound:.............
Cold:........+.... Shard:........+....
Pois:............. Nexus:.............
Fear:............. Nethr:.............
Lite:............+ Chaos:.............
Dark:............. Disen:.............

abcdefghijkl@ abcdefghijkl@
S.Dig:............. Stea.:........+....
Feath:............. Sear.:....+........
PLite:............. Infra:.............
Regen:............. Tunn.:.............
Telep:............. Speed:..+..........
Invis:............+ Blows:.............
FrAct:..........+.. Shots:.+...........
HLife:............. Might:.............

[Character Equipment]

a) The Dagger 'Nimthanc' (2d4) (+8,+8)
It cannot be harmed by the elements. It might have hidden powers.
b) a Long Bow of Extra Shots (x3) (+9,+8) (+1)
It increases your shooting speed by 1.
c) an Aquamarine Ring of Speed (+3)
It increases your speed by 3.
d) a Beryl Ring of Slaying (+5,+5)
e) a Mother-of-Pearl Amulet of Searching (+6)
It increases your searching by 6.
f) The Phial of Galadriel
It usually provides light of radius 3. It cannot be harmed by the
elements. It might have hidden powers.
g) Metal Scale Mail of Resist Lightning (-2) [13,+11]
It provides resistance to lightning. It cannot be harmed by
electricity.
h) a Cloak [1,+6]
i) a Small Metal Shield of Elvenkind [3,+11] (+2 to stealth)
It increases your stealth by 2. It provides resistance to acid,
lightning, fire, cold, and shards. It cannot be harmed by the
elements.
j) an Iron Helm of Wisdom [5,+2] (+1)
It increases your wisdom by 1. It sustains your wisdom.
k) a Set of Leather Gloves of Free Action [1,+3]
It grants you immunity to paralysis.
l) a Pair of Metal Shod Boots [6,+5]

[Character Inventory]

a) 3 Books of Magic Spells [Magic for Beginners]
b) 2 Books of Magic Spells [Conjurings and Tricks]
c) 3 Books of Magic Spells [Incantations and Illusions]
d) a Grey Mushroom of Cure Blindness
e) 21 Metallic Blue Potions of Heroism
f) 16 Coagulated Crimson Potions of Cure Critical Wounds
g) a Blue Potion of Healing
h) a Red Speckled Potion of Restore Mana
i) 6 Scrolls titled "izzy sumquae" of Word of Recall
j) 69 Scrolls titled "hicto so dio" of Identify
k) 13 Scrolls titled "so ga pludam" of Holy Chant
l) a Tin-Plated Rod of Fire Bolts
m) a Runed Rod of Cold Balls
n) 2 Rusty Wands of Teleport Other (20 charges)
o) a Runed Staff of Teleportation (4 charges)
p) a Pine Staff of Object Location (0 charges)
q) an Eucalyptus Staff of Speed (6 charges)
r) a Topaz Ring of Acid [+14]
It provides resistance to acid. It activates for acid resistance
(20+d20 turns) and acid ball (70) every 50+d50 turns. It cannot be
harmed by acid.
s) an Adamant Amulet of Regeneration
It speeds your regeneration.
t) a Large Leather Shield [4,+3]
u) a Scimitar (2d5) (+7,+7)
v) 94 Arrows (1d4) (+0,+0)

[Home Inventory]

a) a Black Spotted Mushroom of Restoring
b) 4 Red Speckled Potions of Restore Mana
c) 4 Puce Potions of Restore Strength
d) 4 Tangerine Potions of Restore Intelligence
e) 3 Brown Potions of Restore Wisdom
f) a Dark Red Potion of Restore Dexterity
g) 4 Green Speckled Potions of Restore Constitution
h) 3 Purple Speckled Potions of Restore Charisma
i) a Pink Potion of Self Knowledge
j) 2 Scrolls titled "mio his" of *Identify*
k) 60 Scrolls titled "spes chrum" of Enchant Armor
l) 54 Scrolls titled "reheme se ago" of Enchant Weapon To-Hit
m) 76 Scrolls titled "abillus" of Enchant Weapon To-Dam
n) 32 Scrolls titled "plevisco mulum" of Recharging
o) a Runed Staff of Teleportation (5 charges)
p) a Jasper Ring of Free Action
It grants you immunity to paralysis.
q) an Emerald Ring of Accuracy (+7)
r) a Set of Leather Gloves of Agility [1,+7] (+4)
It increases your dexterity by 4.
s) The Lance of Eorlingas (3d8) (+13,+21) (+2)
It increases your strength and dexterity by 2. It increases your
speed by 2. It cannot be harmed by the elements. It might have
hidden powers.
t) a Heavy Crossbow of Extra Might (x4) (+9,+15) (+1)
It increases your shooting power by 1.
u) 23 Bolts (1d5) (+6,+5)
Funksultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2008, 04:55   #19
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funksultan View Post
Dlvl 37, and the feeling of danger is just crippling. So many of the uniques and even regular mobs, some OOD, can rub me out without even trying. (Had an Ancient dragon actually bring me to 1 hp, yikes!). Hounds are EVERYWHERE and they eat my possessions like candy. I don't even give gravity hounds a chance, I just port away and scoot.
That's exactly what you should do and not just for gravity hounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funksultan View Post
The bow and the regular arrows just aren't getting it done, nor is melee. I need big damage, and I need it in a hurry. Even standard inhabitants are just taking way way to long to kill. What do I need to do? Will I be running from nearly everything for the rest of the game, or is my gear just that far behind?
Answer: you will be running from nearly everything for the rest of the game.

My old variant DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2008, 05:04   #20
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
there's not much you can do. Until you get your dex and str a bit higher, you won't be able to do big melée damage. At that point Eorlingas will do a lot better than dethanf. Until you get a better bow and/or Tensers and/or reach cl 40, you won't do much better with the bow. That said, mage book 5 will let you last much longer in ranges combat with elemental breathers. It is native to 2000'.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote