Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old October 2, 2016, 21:22   #101
ranger jeff
Apprentice

ranger jeff is on a distinguished road
That's why Strength is important for every character, and even more so casters. It enables you to wield the best gear AND keeps your speed and mana up.
ranger jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2016, 22:50   #102
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Encumbrance is only a problem til you get your INT up a little, so it doesn't eat such a large fraction of your mana. Narthanc is good. The heavy Xbow is great. Go to dl 45 and kill Smaug, or a little deeper and pick off demons. At that depth character power is hugely amplified by ego ammo or double resistance, or both.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2016, 13:26   #103
robbiodobbio
Adept

robbiodobbio is on a distinguished road
It's getting a bit better now, it's mainly because I've quaffed a fair few potions of brawn and nimbleness so INT has taken a bit of a battering.

Another thing, on most spells I still have fail rate of 50%, which is really annoying for detecting properly. Is that just down to low INT too?
robbiodobbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2016, 15:18   #104
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Int and level. With support casters, its best to treat them like warriors early on; use devices for spells, focus on str/dex stats, dont carry spellbooks. Eventually spellcasting will catch up and make life easier.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2016, 22:48   #105
robbiodobbio
Adept

Yeah I just carry the first spellbook because it has the detect monster and trap spells.

I figured carrying detect staffs or scrolls would take up too much space.

Gonna dive down to 45 now. Wish me luck!
Old October 3, 2016, 23:48   #106
robbiodobbio
Adept

Got loads of great stuff now but still can't see invisible creatures. Is it every worth sacrificing a bit of damage to use a weapon that grants see invisible?

Just found "Barukkheled" around 200 damage against most things and grants see invisible but Nimthanc is now doing 248 per round to non-cold resistant monsters.

Found the evenstar too, loving the restore life levels activation.
Old October 4, 2016, 01:21   #107
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiodobbio View Post
Got loads of great stuff now but still can't see invisible creatures. Is it every worth sacrificing a bit of damage to use a weapon that grants see invisible?
At your depth, if you can't see invisible and don't have telepathy, eventually you're going to be killed by a monster you can't see. I'm kind of surprised you don't have it on a convenient source, frankly.

I'd wear Barukheled as a standard weapon and carry the 'thanc as a swap for when you need more damage.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2016, 10:04   #108
robbiodobbio
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
At your depth, if you can't see invisible and don't have telepathy, eventually you're going to be killed by a monster you can't see. I'm kind of surprised you don't have it on a convenient source, frankly.

I'd wear Barukheled as a standard weapon and carry the 'thanc as a swap for when you need more damage.
I know, on my last game I got a leather cap of telepathy really early but it didn't happen this time. Loads of artefact weapons seem to give "see inv" but the 'thanc doesn't.

Just found a great pair of boots that give speed +5 but my current boots are what give me paralysis resistance, bit annoying, just need a couple more nice bits of gear and I'll be sorted.
Old October 4, 2016, 17:07   #109
krazyhades
Swordsman

krazyhades is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiodobbio View Post
I know, on my last game I got a leather cap of telepathy really early but it didn't happen this time. Loads of artefact weapons seem to give "see inv" but the 'thanc doesn't.

Just found a great pair of boots that give speed +5 but my current boots are what give me paralysis resistance, bit annoying, just need a couple more nice bits of gear and I'll be sorted.
Early telepathy really *really* helps a ton with enabling less cautious play. Sure, mindless things can still screw you badly, but for realtime playing speed, early ~tele is incredible. The single-sitting win I had in one comp was 110% due to finding early ~tele, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

As for the boots...well, yeah, you probably still need FA, but if you are very cautious and aware of what monsters do, you could use the speed instead. Probably shouldn't yet though. Keep checking the black market when you're in town, as it can sometimes provide a handy ring of FA.
krazyhades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2016, 21:35   #110
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Rob--
Do you have a character dump? Hard to give advice without one.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, angband, dungeon, newbie, player