AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 4, 2011, 21:04   #41
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by myshkin View Post
It will probably crash at startup. That's what other people were seeing, at least. If you have XCode installed, I would happily accept a build from source of 3.3.0, especially on a 10.4 PPC. That *should* run everywhere. I have yet to discern the compiler flags or other modifications that permit me to make a similar build on a >10.5 Intel machine.
I should be able to check it out tomorrow, and see if my older laptop still boots. I'll need some serious hand-holding though, I probably have xcode but I haven't done much of anything with it besides an aborted attempt at some applescript a long long time ago.
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2011, 22:08   #42
myshkin
Angband Devteam member

myshkin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio_hazard View Post
I should be able to check it out tomorrow, and see if my older laptop still boots. I'll need some serious hand-holding though, I probably have xcode but I haven't done much of anything with it besides an aborted attempt at some applescript a long long time ago.
It should be pretty straightforward.
  • Download the source
  • Open Terminal.app
  • cd to the directory containing the source tarball
  • Run tar xzpf angband-v3.3.0.tar.gz
  • Run cd angband-v3.3.0/src
  • Run make -f Makefile.osx

The app bundle should then be in your parent directory, if all went well.
myshkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2011, 23:33   #43
Tibarius
Swordsman

Tibarius is an unknown quantity at this point
inline help

Quote:
Originally posted by fph
do we need a plain-old-ASCII inline help where there's a professionally formatted PDF sitting around in the same directory?
I prefer an inline help. Opening PDF means, acrobat application starts up, another window where i need to use the mouse. Too much hazzle, compared to a simple inline help.

I do agree that keeping two help sources up-to-date is a pain tho.

Cheers,
Tibarius
Tibarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2011, 08:57   #44
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibarius View Post
I prefer an inline help. Opening PDF means, acrobat application starts up, another window where i need to use the mouse. Too much hazzle, compared to a simple inline help.

I do agree that keeping two help sources up-to-date is a pain tho.

Cheers,
Tibarius
If I would need to choose between the two, I would choose inline help.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2011, 14:23   #45
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
If I would need to choose between the two, I would choose inline help.
You can't search inline help. You pretty much have to know what your looking for in order to find it. That's great if you already know the game, not so good for the nubes.
Old August 5, 2011, 14:34   #46
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
You can't search inline help. You pretty much have to know what your looking for in order to find it. That's great if you already know the game, not so good for the nubes.
In order to search you first need to know what you are looking for. nubes would not know that, so search would be useless to them. Search is actually useful for the veterans that know what they are looking for and need to refresh their memory about exact numbers of something or something like that.

Inline help (help, not some strategy guide), does not need to be complex to be useful. For roguelikes explanation of different screens, commands, options, macros and inscriptions and short terminology guide is sufficient. Read those and everything else should be relatively obvious from the screen itself.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2011, 16:44   #47
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
I have vague ambitions of one day taking a crack at rewriting the whole of the inline help from the ground up. A lot of it can be made much more concise, and it really needs to be broken down into more logical sections, with properly descriptive names like "Items and Equipment", "Resistances and Status Effects", etc. Alas, I'm probably a little busy to take it on as a project right now, but it is something I've been poking at off and on. It would hopefully make it both easier to keep updated in future, and more helpful as a resource for looking up specific details.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2011, 03:15   #48
soyaki
Scout

soyaki is on a distinguished road
Congrats

Is it too late to say congrats on the release? 'Cause, congrats. And thanks.

/End threadjack
soyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2011, 04:14   #49
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
In order to search you first need to know what you are looking for. nubes would not know that, so search would be useless to them.
They they wouldn't be looking in the help files if they weren't looking for something, probably something they encountered in game. A noob could open a pdf and search for 'nexus' if hit by a nexus attack, and probably find what he's looking for. Not so easy with inline help unless you know where to look, in which case you probably already know what you need to know, so you wouldn't be looking in the first place.
Old August 6, 2011, 05:18   #50
kaypy
Swordsman

kaypy is on a distinguished road
On the topic of help files, whatever happened to the brief command list page? That was probably the help file I wound up actually using the most (or these days, the file I go looking for and cant find the most)
kaypy is offline   Reply With Quote