Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 9, 2020, 13:07   #1
Monk
Rookie

Monk is on a distinguished road
[4.2.1] How to figure out why am I slow?

I am suddenly Slow -7. I am not overencumbered, my STR is fine, I don't wear any negative items.

How to see what's the reason for me to be slow?
Save is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Ndenel.zip (11.7 KB, 7 views)
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2020, 13:16   #2
Adam
Adept

Adam is on a distinguished road
Without looking at the save - didn't you eat too much? Over 90% food level slowness kicks in.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2020, 13:21   #3
Monk
Rookie

hmm I was 98% full. Interesting, this wasn't in the newbie guides.
Are there any other reasons besides that?
Old July 9, 2020, 13:35   #4
Monk
Rookie

as soon as I got to not full, my speed restored to normal. thanks!
Old July 9, 2020, 14:00   #5
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
stop second breakfast
Old July 9, 2020, 14:05   #6
Monk
Rookie

What about elevensies?
Old July 9, 2020, 15:13   #7
licker
Rookie

licker is on a distinguished road
What is the reason why this change to food was made?

It's one of the things I find most irritating about the game now. I'd be happier to just remove food entirely honestly because it always feels incredibly pointless to me, but at least in older versions you just carried a pile of sat hunger (or used the spell) and didn't really care about it.

I'm guessing it was to actually make food items have 'value' but frankly, the better solution would have been to just remove a mechanic that's only there to be annoying. (my opinion of course)
licker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2020, 16:18   #8
Sphara
Swordsman

Sphara is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by licker View Post
What is the reason why this change to food was made?

It's one of the things I find most irritating about the game now. I'd be happier to just remove food entirely honestly because it always feels incredibly pointless to me, but at least in older versions you just carried a pile of sat hunger (or used the spell) and didn't really care about it.

I'm guessing it was to actually make food items have 'value' but frankly, the better solution would have been to just remove a mechanic that's only there to be annoying. (my opinion of course)
People do want some adventure feel for being hungered. That cannot be taken away. I've tried and it won't go.
To avoid being gorged the thing is simply: "just don't eat over 80% so you can drink healing potions".
In games where Word of Recall scrolls and rations of food are infinite in town shops, food is very close to 100% of being meaningless.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2020, 16:49   #9
archolewa
Adept

archolewa is on a distinguished road
It seems to me that the primary purpose is to nerf the "Phase Door and slam back CLW potions by the dozen" strategy for healing. At least, there have been a few times where I've nearly gotten killed because I wasn't watching my satiation and ended up at 99% full thanks to CLW spam (happened while clearing a vault once. Oof, that was intense).

Which, honestly I'm ok with. It made me much more likely to use those non-renewable CSW, and even CCW because it meant less satiation, and thus I was less likely to be gorged.

Sure, food isn't a big deal, but I don't mind having that kind of downside to most characters' only source of renewable healing.
archolewa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2020, 17:21   #10
licker
Rookie

licker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphara View Post
People do want some adventure feel for being hungered. That cannot be taken away. I've tried and it won't go.
To avoid being gorged the thing is simply: "just don't eat over 80% so you can drink healing potions".
In games where Word of Recall scrolls and rations of food are infinite in town shops, food is very close to 100% of being meaningless.
Some people do... but it can be taken away, indeed many other games in this genre (maybe not direct Angband variants though) don't bother with it at all. As to 'don't eat over 80%' well sure, I mean my point isn't about how to navigate the system, it's that the system itself is not interesting to me because it is so trivial to deal with, but all it yields is the frustration of having to deal with an otherwise trivial mechanic.

What does it actually add other than 'some adventure feel'? And, to be sure, I'm not suggesting it's wrong to enjoy that feel, I'm suggesting that as implemented it's just busy work. In any case, I would like a birth option to 'turn off food'. Even if it just removes any penalty for being at 0% so one wouldn't have to rework how potions affect it.

Speaking of potions...

Other games handle that by cool downs or diminishing returns. Of course there are cool downs on rods, and that's a weird mechanic to cheese onto potions, but if the (or a) goal of this was to remove potion spamming (which I kind of don't get the point of either, but whatever, I'll play along that it's a 'problem' that needed solving) then I would just suggest this is not a good solution because it simply adds an additional micromanage element which is so easily managed that it doesn't add any actual depth to game play.
licker is offline   Reply With Quote