Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 25, 2018, 05:40   #1
Anthon
Rookie

Anthon is on a distinguished road
Exploitable bug ignoring non-ID items

If you know many (or all) of the available items from previous runs, you can identify single items by toggling the ignore status of a all items of a particular type via the "item ignoring setup" (= in rogue mode), then select ignore item (^D in rogue mode), select the un-ID item. In its ignore options the b) option will toggle from "b) All" to "b) Unignore all".

The above assumes you did not ignore the unidentified flavor.

If you don't want to go through toggling (e.g.) each potion to see what your unidentified flavor matches with, you can just set to ignore anything you don't want to drink up front. Then do not try anything you have not identified, until you checked if you can unignore it (then don't) or not (feel free to try).

Practical example: As a mage I don't ever want to drink PoContemplation. So I would normally buy it when available and then discard (or sell depending on the birth settings). With the exploit, I just set to ignore PoContemplation before ever encountering it. Once I stumble on an un-identified potion, I initiate the ignore-an-item sequence to see if option b) is unignore or not. If it is un-ignore, don't drink it.
Anthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2018, 07:00   #2
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
There is a much easier way: check the birth option "know all flavors on birth".
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2018, 07:12   #3
Anthon
Rookie

I don't consider that an exploit. That is just an easier/beginners way to play the game.
Old May 25, 2018, 08:27   #4
Estie
Veteran

If you want to know the flavour, use the option; if you want to lie about your conduct, there are much, much more efficient ways than your ignore-option gymnastics to learn a few flavours.
Old May 25, 2018, 08:46   #5
Anthon
Rookie

@Estie, I am really not sure what you try to contribute to this bug report.
And I also think you misunderstand that I'm interested to hear that you know more efficient ways to lie about your conduct in Angband.

I thought this was the place to indicate bugs, and this is what I think it is (that it is exploitable is secondary). That b) option should reflect the ignore status of the flavor as long as it is not ID-ed, not that of the actual item. If this is not the place to report such bugs, please point me somewhere else.
Old May 25, 2018, 09:03   #6
Estie
Veteran

Thread to report bugs: http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=8772

My contribution to this was that I, as a player, am not worried by the games behaviour you described. I gave reasons for this in my second post. I used a general "you" there, not to adress you personally, but to include anyone who might consider performing your steps to gain knowledge of flavours. If it sounds offensive, that was not intended and I should have worded it more carefully.
Old May 25, 2018, 09:07   #7
Anthon
Rookie

Thanks, I had just found this myself as I was looking how to get to Nick as recommended on angband.live. I reposted there.

Thread closed
Old May 25, 2018, 12:21   #8
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthon View Post
I don't consider that an exploit. That is just an easier/beginners way to play the game.
Just a note, it's not just an easy mode, it's pretty good if the id part of the game just doesn't interest you. I started an ironman game with know all runes/flavours & it's a pretty no nonsense way to play the game. Just keep going down, pickup & use stuff until you die or reach the bottom.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2018, 12:43   #9
Moving Pictures
Adept

Moving Pictures is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Just a note, it's not just an easy mode, it's pretty good if the id part of the game just doesn't interest you. I started an ironman game with know all runes/flavours & it's a pretty no nonsense way to play the game. Just keep going down, pickup & use stuff until you die or reach the bottom.
*every* Ironman try I have made without "know flavours" has ended up with @ dying at one or two levels after a deep descent, largely through depletion of consumables.

Last night, logged three tries. One was a pathetic death on L8 because @ had no weapon and no AC.

Turning on "know flavours" at least allows ignoring DD. In the three-four times I have tried that, @ has at least made it past L10 (usually to die spectacularly in some other fashion - or by starvation on L100 after I accidentally used *destruction* on Morgoth.
Moving Pictures is offline   Reply With Quote