Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
From dungeon_profile.txt:

# Very rare rooms (rarity = 2)
room:monster pit:0:11:33:5:1:2:8
room:monster nest:0:11:33:5:1:2:16
room:Medium vault:0:22:33:30:0:2:38
room:Lesser vault:0:22:33:20:0:2:55

Doesn't matter if the cutoff of the last entry isn't 100?
Old January 15, 2018, 12:36   #42
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
Looking at the code, the only difference is that now it uses calc_bonuses() instead of doing some hack for off weapon extra blows....
I completely defer to you and Nick about the code. All I know is that, it seems to me, damage shown for a weapon in the pack or on the floor should be the same as if wielded (and whatever weapon actually in hand were not wielded).
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2018, 15:40   #43
PowerWyrm
Veteran

Stair placement inside rooms of chambers:

http://angband.oook.cz/screen-show.php?id=4442

This is as horrible as stairing inside a Hellpit or similar GV...
Old January 15, 2018, 16:27   #44
PowerWyrm
Veteran

Quote:
Stair placement inside rooms of chambers:

http://angband.oook.cz/screen-show.php?id=4442

This is as horrible as stairing inside a Hellpit or similar GV...
Ok found the reason why... the code never creates outer walls, so the rooms are pierced by corridors instead of being connected from the outside. The faulty code:

Code:
			if (square_iswall_inner(c, y, x)) {
				for (d = 0; d < 9; d++) {
					/* Extract adjacent location */
					int yy = y + ddy_ddd[d];
					int xx = x + ddx_ddd[d];

/* Look for dungeon granite */
					if ((c->squares[yy][xx].feat == FEAT_GRANITE) && 
						(!square_iswall_inner(c, y, x)) &&
						(!square_iswall_outer(c, y, x)) &&
						(!square_iswall_solid(c, y, x)))
					{
						/* Turn me into outer wall. */
						set_marked_granite(c, y, x, SQUARE_WALL_OUTER);

/* Done; */
						break;
					}
				}
}
/me thinks it should be "yy" and "xx" there...
Old January 15, 2018, 16:50   #45
PowerWyrm
Veteran

There are still issues with room of chambers after fixing the above... When you highlight inner and outer walls, there are normal isolated walls remaining inside the layout... and some isolated floor tiles around them (with outer walls around those floors and walls). This feels wrong.
Old January 15, 2018, 19:51   #46
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Any ETA on this bug-fix? It's such a pain in the butt having to pick up weapons from the floor, wield them, remember the blow/damage amounts, re-wield principal weapon, then compare. It was so much better when Inspecting the weapon on the ground or in the pack gave accurate information.
I will try to get back to it before too long. Should be easy now PowerWyrm has done all the work for me
Old January 15, 2018, 22:25   #47
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I will try to get back to it before too long. Should be easy now PowerWyrm has done all the work for me
My new nicknames for the two of you - Code Master and Code Guru.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
Old January 16, 2018, 09:01   #48
PowerWyrm
Veteran

Quote:
There are still issues with room of chambers after fixing the above... When you highlight inner and outer walls, there are normal isolated walls remaining inside the layout... and some isolated floor tiles around them (with outer walls around those floors and walls). This feels wrong.
Hmm in fact it can happen easily if there's enough space between the rooms:

Code:
  #########
  #.......#
  #.......#
###+#####+###
#...#   #...#
#...#   #...#
#...#   #...#
##+##########
 #.........#
 #.........#
 ###########
The middle here is turned into outer walls:

Code:
 #########
  #.......#
  #.......#
###+%%%%%+###
#...%   %...#
#...%   %...#
#...%   %...#
##+#%%%%%####
 #.........#
 #.........#
 ###########
Which later on is a perfect place to pierce with a tunnel...

Code:
  #########
  #.......#
  #.......#
###+#####+###
#...#####...#
#...........#
#...#####...#
##+##########
 #.........#
 #.........#
 ###########
This generates unprotected floor tiles where stairs can be placed.
Old January 16, 2018, 14:21   #49
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Un ID'd scrolls in vaults are a nightmare

EDIT: I love all the work being done on Angband. I enjoy the game now more than the 3.4.1 days when I last played it too much. I love all the new room types; and I really like the explosion trap, although it rarely happens; it's one of the few traps that really feels like something really happened. I love most things that are being done to the game, so I apologize if the following rant is a fair bit whining.

The tedium of having to wait till I am all done sifting through and taking the good loot in a vault before reading any unknown scrolls or trying unknown staves is really tedious, especially when there are tons of object destroying creatures in the vault.

"Oh, **** it, I'll just read the stupid scroll, I've already read ?*destruction* and ?DD so what are the chances it's something that will make me loose any loot?"

~You sink through the floor.~

Of course, of course, of course, of course, of course, it's *always* something like this! Bye bye helm of speed <+8> and WIS <+2>, bye bye my main weapon, because I accidentally dropped it picking up another one. Bye Bye gloves of Lightning immunity. And bye bye that whole other vault I haven't even gotten to yet.

Now you can say, "there'll be more vaults farther down", but this was one of those *really* annoying gallery shooting vaults, and I entered it with around 450HP on DL75, so it's no small miracle I survived it.

Anyway, this happens *all the time*. For some reason, vaults love to have for the first time, *destructions, Telelevel, deep descent, and any other effects I can't think of that cause one to lose the loot in the vault. I suppose I could exercise self-control over reading the scrolls, and always do ever since this kinda thing started happening regularly, but in this particular instance right before I decided to read ?telelevel, a black dragon melted a scroll of Acquirement, so you know, better read it before it gets melted and I decided odds are still small it's something I haven't thought of (I thought I had already read Telelevel, but I guess I confused it with another game).

I like the idea of being forced to try potions/scrolls/staves etc in theory, but in practice it has been quite annoying, because it often means I don't get to read ?Banishment, ?MBanishment in vaults before they get destroyed because I'm so worried about reading ?Telelevel or ?*Destruction from so much experience of reading those in vaults. Or, if they survive my exploration of the vault, there are multiple unknown scrolls and I always read ?Telelevel first! It's just amazing to me.

There's also a fair bit of logic gaps in the current system: you read ?Monster Confusion and you always ID it, even if no monsters are nearby, but you use a staff of Confusion and it only IDs if monsters are nearby. (??)

What's wrong with the old system where you could ID these things without risking leaving important things behind so you can pick up an unID'd wand and then run around looking for a monster to hopefully TO with the unknown wand? Now that ID staves are gone and ID scrolls are quite rare, what's the harm in allowing people to use precious scrolls of ID on other scrolls, potions, staves and wands?

Oh, and then there was the game recently where relatively deep (DL30s or so I believe) I tried an unID'd wand on a somewhat dangerous monster because by that depth I was thinking it will be something that does damage, but instead it hasted the monster, which ended up causing me to die (I usually find haste monster between DL3 and DL8).

FWIW (and probably not much) this is not the first rant I wrote on this topic. The first one I wrote I didn't post, deciding it was far too loaded with vitriol and so I exercised some self control and decided I'll wait a little longer to see if this sort of thing continues to happen and continues to annoy me before posting about it. Well, it has continues to happen and continues to annoy me.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2018, 04:38   #50
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
The tedium of having to wait till I am all done sifting through and taking the good loot in a vault before reading any unknown scrolls or trying unknown staves is really tedious, especially when there are tons of object destroying creatures in the vault.
My feeling is to say, "tough". You roll the dice, you take your chances.

I don't read un-id scrolls off-stairs unless (1) @ has found ?Aggravate, ?Teleportation, ?Teleport Level, ?Destruction, ?Summon Monster; ?Summon Undead already; (2) It's an emergency and @ is going to die anyway, so maybe I'll get lucky; or (3) I feel @ is powerful enough and I think I can deal with any potential consequences.