Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 29, 2018, 02:28   #1
Conforama
Rookie

Conforama is on a distinguished road
Attribute Potions

So what's the idea? A step forward in one stat, step backwards in another?

What's the strategy, collect a bunch of different stat potions and drink em all in a row for overall improvement?
Conforama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2018, 02:49   #2
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
They replace stat drain potions with something more interesting. And yes, your Ranger/Rogue can stockpile INT stat swap potions for later, when DEX/STR/CON are already above 18/10--and you really want reliable haste/resistance/TO spells. (Same for contemplation for Paladin needing HEAL spell.)
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2018, 07:57   #3
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
the trick is: when your BASE stat is 18 *exactly* and you drink a potion of stat swap, the stat at 18 will increase MORE than 1 point.

from 3 to 17 -> 1 point
18 -> 1 to 3 points circa
over 18/50 -> 1 point or less

stat swap potions are useful for mages, because the *only* thing that matters is your INT, at least in the beginning. stat swap is ok for warriors, although it can sometimes lead to a seesaw with STR up DEX down, then DEX up STR down. But, if you make sure to drink them only when you have 18 exactly in that stat, you will likely gain more than you lose.

protip - if you see a potion of stat swap you do not need in the Black Market, you can buy it to ID it, then sell it, for a loss of 2400 gold.This way you don't accidentally drink Contemplation or Intellect (or Toughness, that one too generally isn't useful)
Old May 29, 2018, 15:57   #4
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Or you can just immediately drink the potions that boost stats you want, and hope they drain something you don't want. You can do the min-maxing thing and net come out ahead, but it's fiddly enough that I usually don't bother.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2018, 17:01   #5
Werbaer
Apprentice

Werbaer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conforama View Post
So what's the idea? A step forward in one stat, step backwards in another?
Later, you'll find better potions which increase one stat without decreasing another.
Still later, there is a potion that increases all stats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conforama View Post
What's the strategy, collect a bunch of different stat potions and drink em all in a row for overall improvement?
I might use some of these potions early to improve the most important stat for the character. I store the others.
Later, when some stats are near maximum and others drag behind, i use the potions that increase those stats.
Werbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2018, 17:19   #6
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Or you can just immediately drink the potions that boost stats you want, and hope they drain something you don't want. You can do the min-maxing thing and net come out ahead, but it's fiddly enough that I usually don't bother.
Yeah, it really don't make much practical difference. (I'm actually a bit annoyed by the nature of these potions precisely because they encourage that min-maxing for what is ultimately incredibly little benefit. Of course, they're still better than the old game where no improvement was possible until stat-potion-depth. I guess I would have just had half-effective stat-gain potions instead, but that's probably a bit too bland. I suppose the "yay!" or "doh!" nature of Brawn/etc. do kind of make it a bit more exciting -- it's just the min-max potential that's a bit annoying.)
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2018, 17:54   #7
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
The swap potions could have linear behavior even when above 18. Then there'd be no way to net come out ahead of the game only with swap potions.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2018, 19:41   #8
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
The swap potions could have linear behavior even when above 18. Then there'd be no way to net come out ahead of the game only with swap potions.
A good point, well made. Didn't think of that for some reason .
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2018, 23:36   #9
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
would that mean that you *always* get +1.0 points? because regular stat potions don't give you the full point once you reach around 18/50+

i'm partial to making all stat potions simply +1 or +1/-1 swap.

even without the exploit i would still use stat swap on warriors and mages, to get enough STR to tunnel through walls, or for more mana.
Old May 30, 2018, 03:12   #10
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
A mild rant... The Sun doesn't revolve around the Earth, the orbit of the planets isn't a circle, despite the death of Copernicus and the arrest of Galileo. Why is it an "exploit"? Why must things be symmetrical? Why must they fit into a box?
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote