Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 25, 2018, 07:34   #11
Petoften
Knight

Petoften is on a distinguished road
Ya, I was already using a hybrid approach of spells for ranged and the great dagger for when you can't, and that's getting increasingly dangerous.

I have run away when it's dangerous - there was just some black dragonling type thing I hit twice and it didn't kill it and ran to the stairs.

The hard part seems to be when something has an effect that prevents my being able to use spells or scrolls - or getting swarmed when even phase door might not get me to a safe area, but just next to more monsters in the room. But I expect to use the dagger less - though its 'activate' has one shotted a lot.
Petoften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2018, 08:28   #12
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
You have detect monster spell. Avoid those situations where PD won't get you away from big groups of orcs and trolls. Those are *the* biggest killers of early mages. Later, you can handle them fairly easily by other techniques like lightning bolt in a hallway, or just teleport self. At that point, it's individual monster that will kill you. The first such is Bullroarer, if you don't know what you're doing. (If you do, he's an easy target.) Later the number becomes to big to count. The first really surprising one is Dark Elven Lord (DL ,~21L, who *will* kill any mage who gets close. There are plenty of others who just wear you down and exhaust your resources. The other big danger at dl 20-30 is paralyzation. Eventually you should memorize the list so you can avoid them while you dive. IN the short run, Free Action solves the problem completely.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2018, 08:51   #13
Pondlife
Apprentice

Pondlife is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
The other big danger at dl 20-30 is paralyzation. Eventually you should memorize the list so you can avoid them while you dive. IN the short run, Free Action solves the problem completely.
In this case the OP is playing a Gnome, so has innate free action.
Old June 25, 2018, 09:31   #14
Pete Mack
Prophet

@Pondlife: good point.
The detect monsters point still stands. Detection is the #1 reason Angband is easier than rogue. #2 is teleportation and other escapes. #3 is more reliable healing. But detection trumps all: with it, you can avoid nearly all potentially fatal encounters.
Old June 25, 2018, 11:34   #15
Petoften
Knight

Ya, I've long said that IMO Rogue is the most tense game I've ever played. Each step you take is terrifying at times.

I'm wondering what these round things are that seem to be called 'rune traps'.

Once I stepped on one and it said my (named) dagger lit up.

I'm not sure what that meant - one theory is that it added a fire damage bonus to the dagger?

It also sometimes says I learned a rune, not sure what that means.

Seems safer to avoid them, and I usually set off traps I try to disarm.

I'm doing the old amulet of slow digestion, ring of searching combo.
Old June 25, 2018, 12:08   #16
Pete Mack
Prophet

When an equipped item glows, it's a sign of partial identification. So for a fire trap like you hit, it tells you that the dagger has fire resistance. With rune ID, you'll recognize this feature for all further objects. (Scrolls of ID do the same thing.)

By around DL 40, you should have all the "base 4" elements covered: fire, cold, acid, elec. And at CL 40, poison resist gets more valuable, especially if you don't know which monsters can kill you in a turn or two. (E.g., the drolem does 710 poison damage, so it'll kill a mage twice over.)
Old June 25, 2018, 12:23   #17
Petoften
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
When an equipped item glows, it's a sign of partial identification. So for a fire trap like you hit, it tells you that the dagger has fire resistance. With rune ID, you'll recognize this feature for all further objects. (Scrolls of ID do the same thing.)

By around DL 40, you should have all the "base 4" elements covered: fire, cold, acid, elec. And at CL 40, poison resist gets more valuable, especially if you don't know which monsters can kill you in a turn or two. (E.g., the drolem does 710 poison damage, so it'll kill a mage twice over.)
So, what should I do when I see those rune traps?
Old June 25, 2018, 13:27   #18
Petoften
Knight

Hm, I ran out of cure light wound potions, and was somewhat low on health and ran into a black harpy so I door gated.

Had to do it a few times because it kept finding me and hitting me. Finally I got to stairs - and they led to several monsters right on top of them.

So I took them back down - whew - it seems to randomize each level every time you enter it.

Finally the recall scroll kicked in and I was back in town to shop for CLW potions, but there are none in the store...

I though someone said they're always stocked.
Old June 25, 2018, 13:32   #19
Petoften
Knight

Should I kill farmer maggot in town?

He's following saying he wants him mushrooms back and that I killed his dog.

I started to attack him but several hits didn't kill him and he's not attacking, so I stopped.
Old June 25, 2018, 13:36   #20
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
Which version are you playing? CLW should always be in stock in the latest versions.

You can kill Farmer Maggot if you wish so. He may drop a useful item (or not ...).
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote