AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 9, 2018, 06:53   #11
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by luneya View Post
That proposal would work on a game with tiny levels. At present, V is not such a game, nor do I expect it to become one.

I'm fine with the status quo on level feelings. If you don't like having them, you can just turn them off.
Yeah currently in V, I just turn them off. I'm fine with the older style other variants have which is vague enough to be alright. I suspect this wont be a V thing, I just put it here in-case anyone else was interested. For O I'll just leave Vs system in unless the old system is simple to re-implement. However when I build on that for my own variant I don't want to keep a system that I think breaks basic balance & has so little going for it to justify it:

Should players really be able to reliably hunt for Thancs in the 1st 5 dungeon levels? They drop too reliably early, but the drop rates not the only problem there.

Basic rule of loot is for better go deeper, face worse enemies. Why is there a mechanic to stay at the same depth, find better loot, face weaker enemies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraalbee View Post
As long as we keep getting up to 2-3 vaults and special rooms per level that is going to be hard to implement. I think those are too plentiful, but that is what we see today. You could just ignore vault guardians, but then you would possibly be better of with the current scheme where a high monster value often equals one or more vaults which is important information.
How many do you think would be good? For forced descent (anyone else can repeat levels for more). I actually don't mind level feelings being useless by the stage you have telepathy & the like. I also don't mind it being uninformative, it's a feeling not a detect. Treating it otherwise is what breaks the current system. It should be a minor thing for most characters with some semi-useful stuff for high perception, no book characters.
wobbly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018, 09:32   #12
wobbly
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraalbee View Post
As long as we keep getting up to 2-3 vaults and special rooms per level that is going to be hard to implement. I think those are too plentiful, but that is what we see today. You could just ignore vault guardians, but then you would possibly be better of with the current scheme where a high monster value often equals one or more vaults which is important information.
There's also an argument for the reverse too. The trouble is there aren't a lot of options for making the last levels more dangerous other then shrinking space, uping monster density or uping the danger on things that already have too many hps to start with. Big leaky vaults give you a timer mechanism to flood a level with nasties.

Of course there's always just making most of the late game passwall, diggers & dungeon wreckers. Just mess with people building anti-summon corriders to the point you can use a saner number of enemies.

Edit: Maybe large late game dragons could dig? but only if they can't find a reasonable path through shoving aside smaller critters?

Last edited by wobbly; July 9, 2018 at 09:41.
Old July 9, 2018, 16:27   #13
wobbly
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Should players really be able to reliably hunt for Thancs in the 1st 5 dungeon levels? They drop too reliably early, but the drop rates not the only problem there.
Found the code for level feelings & it's actually worse then I thought, it's pretty much programed to specifically create this exact problem:

/* Apply a minimum feeling if there's an artifact on the level */
if (c->good_item && x < 641) return 60;

So at low levels an artifact is going to shine through at a very specific pt. No wonder experienced players like Ingwe know the no. for item feel that = high probability of early *thanc.
Old July 10, 2018, 22:47   #14
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No wonder experienced players like Ingwe know the no. for item feel that = high probability of early *thanc.
Often more important than that early "6" in levels 1 to 3, is an early "4" for Free Action. In a comp, there's no time to waste scumming for a lucky 'thanc, but a "4" comes much more often. It may be my imagination, but when diving fast I find FA hard to come by if I don't get it within the first 5 levels.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018, 10:57   #15
Huqhox
Apprentice

Huqhox is on a distinguished road
As a FK player I don't remember any special levels. There were the vaults of course. And {special} levels that had an artifact on. Or a player ghost (where they still in FK? It's going back a few years)

It is of course possible that the development went down that way before being tidied up by Ben and it just wasn't the version I was playing
Old July 11, 2018, 14:59   #16
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huqhox View Post
As a FK player I don't remember any special levels. There were the vaults of course. And {special} levels that had an artifact on. Or a player ghost (where they still in FK? It's going back a few years)
Oh yeah, player ghosts! Those were a thing in the frog-knows that I played. I got the Trident of Ulmo from one of them at like 500' and it carried that character for most of the game.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018, 15:57   #17
wobbly
Veteran

Were they as bad as nethacks ghosts? There you had all the loot+whatever killed you. Fun at times but 0 concern for balance. Used to have to delete a bunch of bones files because a kobold polymorphed into a dragon and killed you leaving a semi-permanent death trap level.
Old July 11, 2018, 16:05   #18
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Were they as bad as nethacks ghosts? There you had all the loot+whatever killed you. Fun at times but 0 concern for balance. Used to have to delete a bunch of bones files because a kobold polymorphed into a dragon and killed you leaving a semi-permanent death trap level.
Angband ghosts were really just semi-randomly-generated "unique" monsters that pulled names from your bones file. It's possible that their power was based on the level of the dead character and that they got monster spells based on the class, but they certainly didn't get your gear.

As an added kicker, I swear I remember once encountering a live "ghost" (identified as e.g. "Foo the Ranger" instead of "Foo the Ranger Ghost") in the town. Presumably that was because I had multiple non-dead characters in my scores file. Fighting powerful enemies in the town is pretty dangerous.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2018, 08:11   #19
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Fighting powerful enemies in the town is pretty dangerous.
Especially in Frog-knows where you could polymorph townies into Great Wyrms of Balance...
Old July 12, 2018, 15:06   #20
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
I had heard that special levels were planned for Angband but didn't actually make it in.

Would be neat to try to convert those layouts into a format we can use for a modern variant.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote