Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 5, 2015, 16:48   #51
Rydel
Apprentice

Rydel is on a distinguished road
I agree with Timo: I like the idea of a rune-based system. I don't like the idea from the original post, largely because it will make switching to a rune-based system harder for players to accept.

I think a good way to handle squelching would be:
individual runes can be set to Blacklist, Whitelist or Normal
Squelch can be set to Off, Blacklist, or On.
If Squelch is set to Off, nothing is squelched.
If Squelch is set to Blacklist, any object with a Blacklisted rune is squelched, everything else stays
If Squelch is set to Normal:
- Objects with any Blacklisted Rune are Squelched
- Objects with no Unknown or Whitelisted Rune are squelched
- Everything else (objects with at least one unknown or whitelisted rune) stay
The above is specifically written for equipment. Items that don't use runes woul probably do the same on the flavor level.

A more complicated way, but one that allows more fine-tuning by the player, would be one based on how a lot of spam filters work.
- A player could assign a score to each rune.
- Squelch would be a score level. If an item has a lower score than the Squelch level, the item gets squelched.
I'm trying to think of an analogy, and the best I can come up with is Angband is like fishing for sharks, and Sil is like hunting a bear with a pocket knife and a pair of chopsticks. It's not great. -Nick
Rydel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2015, 21:22   #52
mushroom patch
Swordsman

mushroom patch is an unknown quantity at this point
If I'm understanding what's being said here, people advocating for "rune based ID" (which appears to be some kind of local jargon for "if you identify an item with a given brand, resistance, or other ego characteristic, then that characteristic is immediately evident on any other item with the same characteristic you might find later" -- a shockingly bad idea, see below) are, in particular, saying that you should be able to determine whether a weapon has, say, slay evil without picking it up (good so far), without getting near it (getting questionable), and without getting in line of sight of it (! ! !) if you're a rogue, which you should be anyway. If you believe restricting the ability of detection magic to discriminate between different types of items has an effect on game balance, then you must believe "rune ID" + rogue detection has a huge effect on game balance.

If there's anything of tactical value in the current ID system, it's that you don't know what weapons and armor do just by seeing them, so you enter into potentially risky situations (lol) to get these items even though most of them are garbage. Nick's idea preserves this one arguably redeeming quality of the current ID regime. Rune ID does not, yet it somehow maintains the bad things that Nick's ID gets rid of (actually having to find, buy, and/or carry special items and perform some action with them to learn what a weapon or armor does).

Now maybe there's some other aspect to "rune ID" I've missed, e.g. you have to pick the item up or stand over it to learn what it does. If it's "stand over it," okay, not so bad. If it's pick up, that's bad and only marginally better than the current situation (really bad).

Btw, if people want casting characters to have an advantage/keep ID related spells/effects, a spell that reveals what items in LoS are in Nick's system would be reasonably useful and give ID spells a tactical side.
mushroom patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2015, 21:48   #53
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom patch View Post
Now maybe there's some other aspect to "rune ID" I've missed, e.g. you have to pick the item up or stand over it to learn what it does. If it's "stand over it," okay, not so bad. If it's pick up, that's bad and only marginally better than the current situation (really bad).
I don't think this has been discussed much, but I would expect that "runes" would not be evident until you're standing on the item. The information you can obtain from a distance is only going to be very basic information about roughly what the item is (e.g. longsword vs. dagger or green potion vs. red one); you need to get close for a detailed inspection before you can recognize subtler properties.

Having a ranged-ID spell (in-LOS only of course) is an interesting idea though. And we could certainly use more flavorful/niche spells.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2015, 08:27   #54
Zireael
Adept

Zireael is on a distinguished road
I also assumed that you only see the runes if you're standing over it (no seeing the runes from halfway over the dungeon and/or with no LOS).

LOS-range ID spell is a good idea, though.
Zireael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2015, 19:10   #55
EpicMan
Swordsman

EpicMan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zireael View Post
I also assumed that you only see the runes if you're standing over it (no seeing the runes from halfway over the dungeon and/or with no LOS).

LOS-range ID spell is a good idea, though.
We allow seeing flavors over distance, though. Why can't you see a rune you recognize if you can see a scroll you know?
EpicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2015, 20:33   #56
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicMan View Post
We allow seeing flavors over distance, though. Why can't you see a rune you recognize if you can see a scroll you know?
The runes are on the inside collar / inside of the band / under the scabbard / similarly always on the wrong side of the item to be visible.

More seriously, scrolls are a weird edge case because all other flavors are things like color or material that should be at least somewhat discernable from a distance. If we didn't have so many scroll types, we could replace the scroll flavors with vellum, papyrus, flaking, ratskin, leathery, etc. flavors.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2015, 21:14   #57
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
More seriously, scrolls are a weird edge case because all other flavors are things like color or material that should be at least somewhat discernable from a distance. If we didn't have so many scroll types, we could replace the scroll flavors with vellum, papyrus, flaking, ratskin, leathery, etc. flavors.
I'm pretty sure we could do this. Scrolls having names is probably a holdover from an earlier version, possibly all the way back to rogue. Crawl has similar named scrolls.

It wouldn't be too hard to come up with 80 or so adjectives for scrolls if we wanted to. Especially if we can use all the "skin" words.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2015, 21:42   #58
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
I'm pretty sure we could do this. Scrolls having names is probably a holdover from an earlier version, possibly all the way back to rogue. Crawl has similar named scrolls.

It wouldn't be too hard to come up with 80 or so adjectives for scrolls if we wanted to. Especially if we can use all the "skin" words.
There are 41 types of scroll by my count. Off the top of my head:

ancient, brittle, calfskin, canvas, cloth, cracked, crumbling, crumpled, dragonhide, faded, flaking, frayed, glowing, gold-trimmed, leathery, mouldy, orcskin, ornate, painted, parchment, papyrus, pigskin, ragged, ratskin, ribbon-tied, ripped, rumpled, rune-covered, scribbled, sheepskin, silk, smudged, tattered, tightly-knotted, torn, vellum, wax-sealed, wrinkled, wormskin, yeekskin, yellowed
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2015, 21:55   #59
Djabanete
Knight

Djabanete is on a distinguished road
I admire the creativity, Nomad, but this method creates as many realism issues as it fixes --- after all, why would the magical properties of the scroll be determined by the material it's made of rather than the mysterious words written on it? I've never had trouble suspending my disbelief in being able to read scrolls from far away, especially when I assume that they're written in huge block letters, like FOOBIE BLETCH.

Edit:
You read a yeekskin scroll.
Orfax, Son of Boldor appears upset.

Last edited by Djabanete; May 7, 2015 at 22:01.
Djabanete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2015, 21:56   #60
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
I'm thinking of "rune" as a name we are using as an aid to understanding the system, not envisaging everything as actually having runes on it. We're saying rune-based ID because innate-property-you-can-notice-on-inspection-but-initially-don't-understand based ID doesn't roll off the tongue quite as easily.