Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old February 1, 2018, 16:11   #321
Thraalbee
Knight

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
Derakon - you are right about the long corridors and huge rooms - with unlimited mana you can take down big groups or very strong foes even with a nerfed magic missile plus phase door.
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2018, 07:38   #322
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
New builds up on the build page which fix the bug which stopped the mana display from updating when the player hit 0 mana.

Hopefully something more substantial before too long.
Old February 2, 2018, 23:08   #323
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer

Antoine is on a distinguished road
On the mana recovery thing, it should be possible to give mages some mana recovery options without completely unbalancing them. Depending on the spell realm, perhaps something like:

- drain own HP for SP
- drain own devices' charges for SP
- triple SP regeneration for X turns
- drain a nearby monster's HP for SP
-...?

A.
Old February 3, 2018, 00:43   #324
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
On the mana recovery thing, it should be possible to give mages some mana recovery options without completely unbalancing them. Depending on the spell realm, perhaps something like:

- drain own devices' charges for SP
The new mage class on this branch gets this.
Old February 3, 2018, 21:40   #325
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

New builds are up on the build page, including the new Necromancer class.

This class is based on the manipulation of spirits. Tolkien wrote of the Unbodied or Houseless - spirits whose bodies had died, but who had refused the call to Valinor - "To attempt to master them and to make them servants of one's own will is wickedness. Such practices are of Morgoth; and the necromancers are of the host of Sauron his servant."

So I have implemented this by making necromancers lovers of darkness, and their spells dangerous. They involve the use of poison, nether, chaos and darkness as elements, and will frequently hurt or otherwise endanger the player. I have borrowed some ideas from O/FA necromancers, but these are really quite different. Some specific points:
  • Necromancers can see in the dark, and get native RDark; they also get +3 to stealth for not carrying a light source
  • A new monster race flag, RF_SPIRIT, has been introduced, which is given to monsters which have a soul (roughly); necros can do things like detect and banish these
  • They get some shapechenges, all of which cost hitpoints as well as mana; some of their other spells also deal hitpoint damage, and they have a spell for turning hitpoints into mana

I also should point out that their final spell, Command, is not finished. In its current form, casting it on a monster makes that monster totally unable to move for a while (unlike the hold status, which is released if the monster is damaged). The intention of Command is that the player actually gets to operate the monster instead of themselves for the short time - at least move, but probably also cast spells and drop items. The problem is that it's going to take lots of work to implement, and I didn't want to hold up consideration of the class as a whole for that I was too impatient.

So, there it is. Let me know what you think. I had so much fun designing this class
Old February 5, 2018, 01:16   #326
Darin
Apprentice

Darin is on a distinguished road
gf843a69 entering store crash (Mac OS X)

Downloaded and started playing gf843a69 (is there something going on now, maybe a sporting event of some sort? Nah!). When my newly minted character (tried a necromancer and druid) enters a store the game crashes (Mac OS 10.11.6). I have the console crash log saved, but it is a bit of text (45 KB) to attach here. In fact when I tried putting it in code tags it balked.
Darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2018, 08:35   #327
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
The intention of Command is that the player actually gets to operate the monster instead of themselves for the short time - at least move, but probably also cast spells and drop items.
In PWMAngband, a player can operate ANOTHER player
Old February 5, 2018, 11:25   #328
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
Downloaded and started playing gf843a69 (is there something going on now, maybe a sporting event of some sort? Nah!). When my newly minted character (tried a necromancer and druid) enters a store the game crashes (Mac OS 10.11.6). I have the console crash log saved, but it is a bit of text (45 KB) to attach here. In fact when I tried putting it in code tags it balked.
Bug confirmed, I'm now trying to work out a fix.

EDIT: Build page now has new builds with the bug fixed.

Last edited by Nick; February 5, 2018 at 12:02. Reason: Fix
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2018, 00:26   #329
Darin
Apprentice

Darin is on a distinguished road
necromancer combat bug I think

Playing g9d09143 as a necromancer, it seems like the combat stats at random intervals become obscenely buffed. In the enclosed saved game, upon game load the character combat stats (using shift-C) seem normalish (the damage looks a wee bit high) with 1.3 attacks/round, but after a while it goes nuts, showing that I have 4 attacks/round, and the AC even goes up. To make sure it wasn't some sort of glitch, I started melee fighting everything I can see. When I attacked a large kobold, I got three attacks in the first round and killed it. But if I quit and reload right after, the stats (and combat ability) go back to normal.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=15s...9L6GRSeC96KOsv
Darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2018, 01:41   #330
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
Playing g9d09143 as a necromancer, it seems like the combat stats at random intervals become obscenely buffed. In the enclosed saved game, upon game load the character combat stats (using shift-C) seem normalish (the damage looks a wee bit high) with 1.3 attacks/round, but after a while it goes nuts, showing that I have 4 attacks/round, and the AC even goes up. To make sure it wasn't some sort of glitch, I started melee fighting everything I can see. When I attacked a large kobold, I got three attacks in the first round and killed it. But if I quit and reload right after, the stats (and combat ability) go back to normal.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=15s...9L6GRSeC96KOsv
Thanks, I'm pretty sure what the problem is - my long-running attempt to get blows/damage info correct has hit another hurdle. Will need to fix both this branch and master.