Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 5, 2020, 13:56   #1
Monkey Face
Adept

Monkey Face is on a distinguished road
A Character of Mine Died...of Old Age

Last night I had my first win in 4.2. Like all but one of my wins in older versions this was as a mage, in this case a hobbit mage so hit points were an issue for most of the game (my non mage win was a dwarf priest).

Unfortunately, I didn't save a character dump, but I do have a few comments.

I agree with one of the earlier threads that says that a mage is relatively easy in the end game in 4.2. The only major thing it was missing from earlier versions was the haste self spell which could be overcome with a few speed potions.

In the meantime, the ability to use wands which could be recharged to restore mana led to essentially a limitless amount of mana. The thrust away spell is a great way to move monsters away but not too far away when they are getting close so you can keep firing at them.

For Morgoth, I kept hitting him with annihilation and drain life to save my spells for banishment and mass banishment. When he summoned uniques, I moved the fight to a different area (until the last time when he summoned Azog and Sméagol, both of whom I just took care of myself).

A couple of things that made life easier were a cap of serenity very early in the game (before level 20) which meant stunning was not an issue and then finding Feanor's boots around level 50. I went down reasonably quickly (with some attention to level feelings) down to level 40. At that point, I realized that my mana points were about twice as high as my hit points so I decided to go slow to farm for stat potions. By the mid 50's I felt in good shape and started deep descent, clear a level, deep descent, clear, etc. down to level 97 where I farmed for final gear.

One thing I did for future help was carry a few rods of probing so I could get as much into my monster memory as possible without directly finding out about attack damage. That should help with future games in other classes.
Monkey Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2020, 18:00   #2
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Congrats on the old age!
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2020, 20:51   #3
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Grotug's eyes take on a glassy, dewy countenance, and he mumbles to himself "Faenor's boots!"

Ahem, excuse me. Congrats on the win!