AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old April 8, 2009, 12:41   #11
RogerN
Swordsman

RogerN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arralen View Post
Looks like either me and RogerN are both wrong ... checked out the highest 15 entries on the Sangband ladder - and only 2 of them use(d) a sword!?
That's because the ones using polearms are all using artifacts. The Glaive of Pain (6d8), in particular, is a great weapon. It's the non-artifact polearms that I think may need rebalancing.

And actually, having examined the numbers a bit more, I'm pretty comfortable with how most of the polearms work out. They have a higher damage output for low-skill characters, and lower damage for high-skill characters (compared to swords). The only weapon that really bugs me still is the Great Axe... it's too heavy and too deep for such lousy damage.
RogerN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2009, 15:55   #12
Daniel Fishman
Adept

Daniel Fishman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerN View Post
That's because the ones using polearms are all using artifacts. The Glaive of Pain (6d8), in particular, is a great weapon. It's the non-artifact polearms that I think may need rebalancing.

And actually, having examined the numbers a bit more, I'm pretty comfortable with how most of the polearms work out. They have a higher damage output for low-skill characters, and lower damage for high-skill characters (compared to swords). The only weapon that really bugs me still is the Great Axe... it's too heavy and too deep for such lousy damage.
But does it really matter how good the deep non-artifact polearms are, when most people will be using artifacts anyway? Unless Sang has increased artifact rarity drastically compared to other *bands?
Daniel Fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2009, 16:07   #13
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Malak Darkhunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Fishman View Post
But does it really matter how good the deep non-artifact polearms are, when most people will be using artifacts anyway? Unless Sang has increased artifact rarity drastically compared to other *bands?
Well yes because in Sang, a chaacter specializes in a type of weapon, he might find ton's of artifact weapons, that are not in his realm of specialization. So fnding a good weapon might be hard for a character who only wields polearms sufficiently, and not swords or clubs.
Old April 8, 2009, 16:23   #14
Daniel Fishman
Adept

Daniel Fishman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malak Darkhunter View Post
Well yes because in Sang, a chaacter specializes in a type of weapon, he might find ton's of artifact weapons, that are not in his realm of specialization. So fnding a good weapon might be hard for a character who only wields polearms sufficiently, and not swords or clubs.
That's an issue with the number of artifacts of the various types, though, not the normal weapons, surely? Since very few, if any, egos are endgame worthy.
Daniel Fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2009, 16:46   #15
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
I don't know about S, but in V there are 3 endgame quality ego weapons:

Fury (+2)
Holy Avenger
Extra Blows (+2)

So long as these are big dice (MoD, BoC, SoS) and big bonus, they are better than almost all artifact weapons. (If you have a big dice +blows weapon with a branding ring, the damage is crazy.)
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote