Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 19, 2009, 15:20   #11
Donald Jonker
Knight

Donald Jonker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS View Post
That's a really excellent point!
Is it? Sometimes I think you're all insane.

Quote:
Plus I think the game would be a bit more fun if you can use these potions in some way. Otherwise what purspose do they serve? You drink them once to identify them and then ignore them for the rest of the game.
It wouldn't be that tragic, since they stop showing up after the wee levels. You don't even need to squelch them (which, by the way, is one brilliant new piece of game design, thanks Andi). But if they and wands of sleep/confuse/&c monster were made to work properly, it would be a pretty elegant way of handling things. The potions being a weaker version for the early levels, and then the wands taking over once they start showing up.

I must reiterate from past posts, though, that both solutions must *always* work on monsters if they successfully hit their target/fire from the wand. Otherwise they inevitably remain useless junk.

Last edited by Donald Jonker; April 19, 2009 at 15:27.
Donald Jonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2009, 17:09   #12
Daniel Fishman
Adept

Daniel Fishman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS View Post
That's a really excellent point!

I was thinking about it from a gameplay points of view asking why would you keep these potions if they are no use, but as you've pointed out it works to rationalise them as well ie. why would anyone create these potions, if not for use in battle?

Plus I think the game would be a bit more fun if you can use these potions in some way. Otherwise what purspose do they serve? You drink them once to identify them and then ignore them for the rest of the game.
From a theme perspective, they were created by malicious alchemists as traps for unwary adventurers. From a gameplay perspective, they serve only to prevent ID-by-use.
Daniel Fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2009, 17:21   #13
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
In case anyone is interested, Sangband already implements this: monsters are affected by thrown potions (confused, poisoned etc.) - so the code could probably be borrowed and turned into a patch for V quite easily ...
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2009, 18:20   #14
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Jonker View Post
Is it? Sometimes I think you're all insane.
My spell checker doesn't like your name. It believes you to be Donald Junker.
Quote:
I must reiterate from past posts, though, that both solutions must *always* work on monsters if they successfully hit their target/fire from the wand. Otherwise they inevitably remain useless junk.
Always work? Maybe, if only for a single turn. I've, for a while now, though that such items should have ratings, just like other magical items. You never find a plain old ring of speed. It always has a plus associated with it (why are these never cursed???). The game would lose a piece of it's personality if all current 'variable plus/minus' items were the same. So, working on the assumption that this variability is a good thing, why not extend it to Rods, Staffs, and Wands. Sure a wand of sleep monster +1 may only work against DL1 enemies, and a -1 wand might actually put your character asleep (assuming low CL), but that +17 wand could be very effective against a wide array of very powerful creatures. Then you could introduce a Ring of Wands of other such item to boost their power further.
Alternatively, one could be allowed to expend multiple charges at once for a greater effect.
Old April 19, 2009, 21:31   #15
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarlost View Post
Whose to say these aren't primarily contact agents?
Me. :P

Quote:
Someone's mixing these potions and they must be doing so for a reason. Maybe the potion of poison is a cleaning agent, but I can't imagine much point to a potion of confusion or blindness besides confusing or blinding people. Making people drink them is difficult so they don't accomplish much unless they can work by skin contact.

That would mean the effects of ingesting them would probably be worse. Maybe poison+confusion and poison+blindness.
At the moment, they do what they do on ingestion, and if you throw them, they do some damage. That hits the 90/10 point pretty well, I'd say. Adding in thrown effects for a couple of junk potions that disappear after the first few levels is more effort than it's worth, basically, in terms of both time and code size.
Old April 19, 2009, 21:48   #16
PaulBlay
Knight

PaulBlay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Fishman View Post
From a theme perspective, they were created by malicious alchemists as traps for unwary adventurers.
There's always the possibility that they are what happens to useful potions past their sell by date. Along with other explanations...

That potion of blindness? Cheap moonshine with wood alcohol.

Potion of confusion? See previous answer.
Old April 20, 2009, 00:54   #17
Donald Jonker
Knight

Donald Jonker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill
My spell checker doesn't like your name. It believes you to be Donald Junker.
A name that's been misapplied before - but alas I'm not an eighteenth century German landlord. My moniker is carefully constructed from adolescent nicknames, twisted by pure fancy, and finally made to take on the semblance of realism...:!O
Quote:
Originally Posted by takkaria View Post
At the moment, they do what they do on ingestion, and if you throw them, they do some damage. That hits the 90/10 point pretty well, I'd say. Adding in thrown effects for a couple of junk potions that disappear after the first few levels is more effort than it's worth, basically, in terms of both time and code size.
...and the executioner's sword of cold rationality comes down.

Last edited by Donald Jonker; April 20, 2009 at 01:02.
Donald Jonker is offline   Reply With Quote