Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 6, 2010, 05:27   #21
Lord Fell
Apprentice

Lord Fell is on a distinguished road
One of my big concerns about a lot of extra monsters is adherence to theme. Obviously, I have some flexibility, because I have no problems with adding 'y'eeks to the game, where I'm sure that Tolkein never conceived of such a creature. I guess what I "want" is an internally consistent collection of Fantasy monsters. Adding too many different types or varieties can weaken that consistency.

I think I like the idea of expanding 'j'ellies instead of adding vents. To my mind, a "vent" isn't a monster, it's a trap. Jellies don't necessarily need to breath their element, they could "touch" to do it... but on the other hand, I don't really see why they couldn't.

I also have a thematic concern about "Solar Demons." To my mind, a Solar is an Angel, or at the very least, "solar" is just not an appropriate adjective to describe anything that's Infernal. I don't really have any issue with the idea of a "Fallen Solar" though.
Lord Fell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2010, 09:23   #22
Adley
Adept

Adley is on a distinguished road
fallen angels? "You hit the fallen archon. The fallen archon summons greater demons!(x3)"

But true, a Lunar demon would be most apropriate.
Adley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2010, 15:35   #23
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
We could have lunar fiends that are cold-based, and solar fiends that are fire-based. Maybe a celestial fiend that's, uh, gravity-based?

Edit: Lord Fell: thematically Angband is all over the map right now. We have Tolkein, D&D, Japanese mythology (tengus), drunken inspirations (Quylthulgs), etc. So my personal opinion is that, so long as a monster isn't outright silly, it should fit in fine.

Last edited by Derakon; November 6, 2010 at 18:17.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2010, 23:17   #24
fyonn
Adept

fyonn is on a distinguished road
The unicorn I think would make an excellent unique. In my mind it would never attack, but just run and ignore you. if you attack it, it would blind (shining light or some such) and summon angels. maybe even teleport itself or you away.

probably a bugger to kill as it keeps running away, but perhaps one shouldn't kill it(high HP, low XP, no drop)? let it pass and don't attack and then you won't get spammed by angels? not sure if the angband code supports such a thing though.
fyonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2010, 00:22   #25
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
I had the conception of a monster with low hp, that would cast healing spells on you.

Alternatively, a monster that casts heal-self 1 in 2 times and moves extremely quickly.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2010, 01:21   #26
Derakon
Prophet

I'm not a fan of annoyance monsters; a monster you aren't supposed to kill would fall into that category. It basically just exists to disturb your sleep and accidentally get clipped by your attacks, and what fun is that? Angband would need a strongly fleshed-out faction system before I'd be interested in that kind of unicorn.

Fizzix: I have to admit I don't really see the point of what you're suggesting? But in any event, there's no heal-player spell.

I've been taking notes on the centaurs, vents, et al as I play through with my mage. Some tweaks will be needed; for example, vents can become terrified at low health, which I didn't even realize was possible for a monster that can't move.
Old November 10, 2010, 18:06   #27
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Fizzix: I have to admit I don't really see the point of what you're suggesting? But in any event, there's no heal-player spell.
The point was that there could be a 'good' monster in the dungeon. The heal-player monster effect would have to be added. It's not interesting enough that I really care about it, but since we're throwing out ideas.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2010, 19:06   #28
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
If we are throwing out ideas, I always thought an early level digging goblin (orc) would be interesting. Some sort of digger before encountering Umberhulks.

Anything else to make the orcs more interesting or relevant for larger parts of the game would be ok in my book.
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2010, 19:10   #29
Derakon
Prophet

Neat idea -- I agree it could be fun. Of course, the only digging monsters in Angband right now are ones that can dig through rock in a single turn, which is kinda weird. Maybe we could kludge in a SLOW_EAT_ROCK that works like EAT_ROCK but sets the monster's energy to -100 afterwards.
Old November 10, 2010, 20:45   #30
Lord Fell
Apprentice

Lord Fell is on a distinguished road
Kobold Sapper

...just saying.
Lord Fell is offline   Reply With Quote