AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 14, 2010, 14:41   #101
Adley
Adept

Adley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djabanete View Post
My friend beat the game with a Ranger before learning about macros, for example.
I learnt about macros when bridging a chasm to reach the oute wall in Un...
Adley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2010, 14:54   #102
fyonn
Adept

fyonn is on a distinguished road
I don't consider myself to be an expert, but I would say I'm relatively experienced having played the game for about 15 years and having won twice. that said, I just lost my clvl 47 hobbit mage on dlvl 71.

a scroll of deep descent dropped me next to a pack of ether hounds. decided they were a bit too dangerous so I teleported away and landed next to a pack of time hounds who were all awake. without even getting the chance to move I got time breathe'd to death.

that felt to me as somewhat of an inevitable death that I could little about, but it's the nature of the game. sometimes bad things happen. what can you do?

dave
fyonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2010, 15:53   #103
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyonn View Post
that felt to me as somewhat of an inevitable death that I could little about, but it's the nature of the game. sometimes bad things happen. what can you do?
after dlevel 50 (or whatever the native depth of gravity hounds are) you should consider teleself to have something like a 0.01-0.1% chance of insta-death, unless you've banished Z or destructed the sides of the map. It used to be higher before the frequency of hounds were reduced.

So yes, it's a bad break, but it should happen about once very 1000-10000 teleports. Happened to me with gravity hounds twice in my career.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2010, 16:14   #104
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
And the frequency only gets higher as you get deeper and add in things like druj and black reaver.
Old November 14, 2010, 16:22   #105
LostTemplar
Knight

LostTemplar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
T.level, destruct, create doors, etc. I actually completely stop using teleport self at some point, usually when I got my first *Destruction* item.
LostTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2010, 16:59   #106
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I would've destructed in that situation. Even the 96% success rate on a destruction staff is better than the death rate on teleport at those deaths IMO. Though of course if it's a matter of life or death you should be using a scroll of destruction.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2010, 18:20   #107
fyonn
Adept

fyonn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostTemplar View Post
T.level, destruct, create doors, etc. I actually completely stop using teleport self at some point, usually when I got my first *Destruction* item.
well, T.level (via deep descent) was what stuck me next to the ethereal hounds in the first place, so doing it again seems as dangerour as T.self (except perhaps that I'd get the first move, which I guess is a valid point).

and I've never liked destruction. never liked earthquakes etc. messes up the map, but perhaps I should get over my sense of neatness?
fyonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2010, 19:34   #108
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
well, T.level (via deep descent) was what stuck me next to the ethereal hounds in the first place, so doing it again seems as dangerour as T.self (except perhaps that I'd get the first move, which I guess is a valid point).

and I've never liked destruction. never liked earthquakes etc. messes up the map, but perhaps I should get over my sense of neatness?
The first move is key. That's by far the most important part.

Ethereal hounds aren't nearly as dangerous as gravity or time hounds. Each unresisted nether breath is only 60 hp I think, so you can easily survive multiple breaths. Failing destruction is better than teleporting self. and tele-level is always the safest solution. You can continue teleporting level until you either run out of scrolls or land in a safe spot.

@Derakon: no way 4% of teleports kill you at any depth. If failing the destruction means likely death, teleporting at 0% fail is a much better option than doing something with a 4% fail.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2010, 20:04   #109
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Fizzix: that really depends on how powerful you are compared to the dungeon level and what all is on that level. If teleporting stands >4% odds of landing you next to a graveyard, then it's more dangerous than trying to use a destruction staff at 96% success rate, IMO. If nothing else, teleport can get you stranded away from parts of the level that you've rendered safe, which means that if you run into trouble again you may well not be able to reach stairs.

Depending on the dungeon layout, you might want to phase door away and then try destruction. That of course depends on if you can rely on phase door taking you out of LOS of most of your enemies.

And fyonn, destruction is the only guaranteed escape in the game that can't land you into hot water immediately afterwards. Yes, it makes a hash of the level, but levels are easily replaced.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2010, 03:23   #110
Fendell Orcbane
Swordsman

Fendell Orcbane is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I don't consider myself to be an expert, but I would say I'm relatively experienced having played the game for about 15 years and having won twice. that said, I just lost my clvl 47 hobbit mage on dlvl 71.

a scroll of deep descent dropped me next to a pack of ether hounds. decided they were a bit too dangerous so I teleported away and landed next to a pack of time hounds who were all awake. without even getting the chance to move I got time breathe'd to death.

dave
That is heart breaking. But that is a risk that a lot of us take if we don't want to leave the level. I'd agree with you, its just part of the game.
Fendell Orcbane is offline   Reply With Quote