AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 16, 2010, 03:59   #121
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarlost View Post
...roguelikes are inexplicably wedded to hardcore trial and error gameplay and permadeath. Non-indie developers persistently refuse to even consider putting out anything with system requirements suited to casual gaming except grindfest MMOs.
Angband has cheat-death and know-all options. Turning these on make it an RPG for the casual gamer. I'm a big proponent of save-scumming for new players who want to experience what Angband has to offer. That's how I started.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2010, 11:23   #122
Bostock
Swordsman

Bostock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyonn View Post
learnean
Freudwin award for fyonn!
Bostock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2010, 15:41   #123
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostock View Post
That's how I tend to read it too. I had to make a mental note to myself that it is in fact Lernaean, and not Learnean.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2010, 16:31   #124
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Code:
The Learnean Hydra breathes knowledge. -more-
You realize that trying to melee a Nightmare without confusion resistance is a bad idea. -more-
You consider swapping out that Ring of Protection (+18) for a Ring of Constitution. -more-
You discover your stock of Potions of Cure Critical Wounds is rather low.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2010, 17:19   #125
Whelk
Adept

Whelk is on a distinguished road
Haha. Breathe Knowledge would be awesome. It could inflict you with Confusion if you're too low level, or if your Intelligence or Wisdom stats are too low.
Whelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2010, 21:00   #126
fyonn
Adept

fyonn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostock View Post
Yeah, I keep misspelling it like that and then wondering why I can't find it in the spoilers
fyonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2010, 21:31   #127
Tiburon Silverflame
Swordsman

Tiburon Silverflame is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The only excuse left is that Angband is a niche game for crazy people who want their games to generate rather than relieve stress. That's all well and good, but it doesn't excuse looking down on casual gamers. Especially when there's nothing well publicized in the RPG genre that combines casual gameplay with casual system requirements.
I think that's overstating things. Angband's appeal is, IMO, similar to forms of solitaire that require thinking and skill (and of course some luck) to win. Get a bad hand, or make a mistake? Oops. Move along, try again.
Tiburon Silverflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2010, 21:43   #128
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
One possibility would be to have a set of hints that get displayed e.g. when moving between levels, which would explain some of the more obscure parts of Angband. Many more complicated modern games do this -- e.g. Civilization IV (haven't played V) does this during worldgen. Of course, Angband doesn't really have any "down time" when such displays would be minimally obtrusive.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2010, 22:50   #129
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
One possibility would be to have a set of hints that get displayed e.g. when moving between levels, which would explain some of the more obscure parts of Angband. Many more complicated modern games do this -- e.g. Civilization IV (haven't played V) does this during worldgen. Of course, Angband doesn't really have any "down time" when such displays would be minimally obtrusive.
How about giving the player a hint every time they kill a unique? Make it a menu option so that experienced players can turn it off if they want, but hopefully for newbies it would be infrequent enough to not get too annoying, and function as a sort of unlocked achievement. You could even go totally wild and assign each unique its own specific hint - kill them all to collect the set! - but in practical terms, picking one semi-randomly based on level like with drops is probably the way to go. Early level uniques 'drop' hints like "Use the shift key to run", a bit further on you get tips on which abilities/resistances to prioritize, and so forth.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2010, 23:05   #130
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
Why make it so hard? Add an option to the stores to provide hints (like ToME tavern rumors). There's no reason to withhold stuff like how to run, how to set up term windows, etc.

I'd rather see monster knowledge as an achievement-type award. Kill a unique native to DLX, get full knowledge of all non-unique monsters native to X+1
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote