AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 13, 2014, 00:17   #11
Fendell Orcbane
Swordsman

Fendell Orcbane is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
+50 speed? If you have over +30 base speed then it's time to swap Ringil out for a better-damaging weapon, because high-end speed gains are really pretty marginal. In fact, you only really need +30 to avoid getting double-moved; +40 only rarely gets you yourself a double-turn against monsters at +30.
Dude I pretty much thought the same, but I don't think Ive ever had a character with that much speed...and at +62 speed. I either a) double turned Morgoth every turn or often enough to feel that way. Also while i did some scumming I didn't do a lot of it, so while I might have come across one or two weapons that gave me more damage output, it not like I had much choice. And Ringil was more than enough. Plus it was nice to finish Morgoth off with Ringil : )
Fendell Orcbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2014, 00:17   #12
Fendell Orcbane
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
The Glaive of Pain was best back in the day when you could Acid-brand it with a ring of Acid. That way, sauron would die immediately. Nowadays, it's handy as a big damage-dealer if you have everything covered and don't have the better weapons.
I miss those days lol.
Old March 13, 2014, 00:21   #13
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fendell Orcbane View Post
Dude I pretty much thought the same, but I don't think Ive ever had a character with that much speed...and at +62 speed. I either a) double turned Morgoth every turn or often enough to feel that way. Also while i did some scumming I didn't do a lot of it, so while I might have come across one or two weapons that gave me more damage output, it not like I had much choice. And Ringil was more than enough. Plus it was nice to finish Morgoth off with Ringil : )
Ha! Well, fair enough. Sometimes you just have to pile bonuses on to see how far you can go.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2014, 02:55   #14
Fendell Orcbane
Swordsman

Quote:
Ha! Well, fair enough. Sometimes you just have to pile bonuses on to see how far you can go.
Yup. Its just more fun for me that way : )
Old March 13, 2014, 07:50   #15
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
+50 speed? If you have over +30 base speed then it's time to swap Ringil out for a better-damaging weapon, because high-end speed gains are really pretty marginal. In fact, you only really need +30 to avoid getting double-moved; +40 only rarely gets you yourself a double-turn against monsters at +30.
+50 speed have to include RoS, maybe two. You have to ask which swap is better, RoS to RoDam or Ringil to Pain (if that is an option).

(4d5*2) (basically anything you care about are at least evil) + 25 + RoDam or 9d6 + 30. I think Ringil beats pretty much anything if you can do that swap with it.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2014, 12:01   #16
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
I seem to remember Thunderfist also being OK if you weren't going to get max blows with some of the other insane things. I still haven't ever found Deathwreaker
Old March 13, 2014, 13:07   #17
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
I seem to remember Thunderfist also being OK if you weren't going to get max blows with some of the other insane things. I still haven't ever found Deathwreaker
Thunderfist has double-brand. That makes it very good general weapon, but it doesn't have slay evil which makes it to lose to many others for endgame.

Trident of Wrath used to be very good for spellcasters when it still was very heavy, but now that it is light weapon it has lost the appeal it used to have.

Aule is great for priests, but I hate Aule being "great hammer" which whole existence as base weapon IMO is a bug. No weapon should have no variation from dice damage. 18d1 is not the same thing as 9d3.

Eonwe is also very good weapon because of immunity and stat-boosts. I don't understand though why it got its dice boosted for 3.x versions. 4d4 was plenty good for that kind of weapon.

Eorlingas is a good weapon now that you can actually get max blows with it. 3d8+21 with slay evil and stat-boosts & +2 to speed makes it one of the best weapons in the game. With criticals against evil it gets very close same damage as Pain. In old versions it was junk weapon, not because of bad stats, but because it was too heavy to use.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2014, 17:20   #18
Fendell Orcbane
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
+50 speed have to include RoS, maybe two. You have to ask which swap is better, RoS to RoDam or Ringil to Pain (if that is an option).

(4d5*2) (basically anything you care about are at least evil) + 25 + RoDam or 9d6 + 30. I think Ringil beats pretty much anything if you can do that swap with it.
Lets see...I had Ringel +10, Cubragol +10, RoS+14, "The One Ring" +5, Amulet of Trickery +3, Balance Dragon Scale of speed +5, Elven Cloak +1, Dal-i-thalion +5 ( for the Rconf ) I also found +10 boots of speed...but I thought that Rconf was more important that another +5 to my already insane speed. I wish I had save scummed this so that I could find out if I would double hit Morgoth at +50 speed. Which I sort of doubt.
Old March 13, 2014, 17:23   #19
Fendell Orcbane
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
Eorlingas is a good weapon now that you can actually get max blows with it. 3d8+21 with slay evil and stat-boosts & +2 to speed makes it one of the best weapons in the game. With criticals against evil it gets very close same damage as Pain. In old versions it was junk weapon, not because of bad stats, but because it was too heavy to use.
I agree I had Eorlingas with an other warrior that didn't survive and I loved the damage boost I'd get due to the weight.
Old March 14, 2014, 04:32   #20
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Bogatyr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fendell Orcbane View Post
Ringil. I think with the +10 speed its pretty much the best weapon in the game. I had 50+ speed with my most recent winner. http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=15743 and Ringil was a big part of that. Although some other weapons cause more damage per round, that +10 speed boost always you to get another round on most monsters in V since not too many monsters go past +20, unlike other variants. So for V I'd say Ringil trumps even the Glave of Pain. But if you were playing NPP or FA that would be more open for debate, since a lot of high lvl monsters are at +20
I've recently found a bunch of speed items so I'm base +26 speed with my melee swaps, so a haste spell puts that to +36 with GoP. 423 w/GoP, 286 Anguirel (max, 208 low), 315 Anduril (max, 216 low). It pains me to leave Anduril on the floor, but 200 hp/round avg difference says I should. Bah, I'll take Anduril home actually, Anguirel maybe too. It's good to have an aggravating swap to lure monsters out into a prepared location, but I have Gothmog's whip for that once I break the curse, plus imm fire. Red dragon pits, here I come!
Bogatyr is offline   Reply With Quote