Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old October 28, 2013, 17:13   #11
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
I hate finding Calris... It's great, but I usually plan for just-enough accuracy... and suddenly I'm trying to find a way to plan around 5 more melee points when they are all 1800 or more points each.
HallucinationMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2013, 17:19   #12
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
The problem is shortbows are best for highly skilled archers, while heavier bows can be used efficiently even with moderate skill. I used to play archers almost exclusively with shortbow, nowadays the first bow is usually a longbow and I may or may not switch to a shortbow later.

Last edited by taptap; October 28, 2013 at 17:28.
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2013, 17:37   #13
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HallucinationMushroom View Post
I hate finding Calris... It's great, but I usually plan for just-enough accuracy... and suddenly I'm trying to find a way to plan around 5 more melee points when they are all 1800 or more points each.
dude... Charge + flanking
Old October 28, 2013, 17:39   #14
debo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by half View Post
This is a good point. I wonder how much the [-1] bugs people. It is there to make a long bow more a choice of a dedicated archer, but I wouldn't be too averse to removing it if it has too much of a 'optimal play is not fun play' effect.
I ditch all longbows for non-archers now, unless it's late game and I have a lot of defense or protection to spare.

If a longbow is the first bow i find, i will keep it in my inventory and swap it in when needed. I know it's super anal but i can't help myself!
Old October 28, 2013, 17:42   #15
debo
Veteran

If longbows suddenly become as viable as shortbows for melee dudes, I envision myself using throwing weapons less... I usually only use bows for insects and birds, and throwing for anything with real HP. (This is for elves -- dwarves and edain i end up favoring throwing just because it's hard to hit anything with +1 archery lol)
Old October 29, 2013, 00:23   #16
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
Charge + flanking

I just build 'em different is all. Charge and flanking are expensive too once you've sunk power/followthrough/momentum/strpoint blocking/heavyarmormastery/crowdcontrol
HallucinationMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2013, 00:54   #17
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
If longbows suddenly become as viable as shortbows for melee dudes, I envision myself using throwing weapons less... I usually only use bows for insects and birds, and throwing for anything with real HP. (This is for elves -- dwarves and edain i end up favoring throwing just because it's hard to hit anything with +1 archery lol)
I don't understand this. Longbows are already better for melee dudes who put a few points into archery.
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2014, 01:28   #18
BlueFish
Swordsman

BlueFish is on a distinguished road
Had an interesting case recently. Found Celeg Aithorn, the 2 lb mithril longsword branded by lightning, surely one of the best weapons in the game. But I found it on my strength dwarf who by that time had managed to accumulate 6 strength - 5 natural, after the one from Melee tree, and one on gloves. I already had momentum but still 2 of my str were going to waste, so it was a bit of a disappointing find from that perspective. But not one I could just throw away since it was still doing 3d10 damage to monsters not resistant to lightning, along with built-in sharpness. (Is any monster resistant to lightning?)

But the obvious way to still maximize strength was to take Rapid attack, which subtracts 3 from str for each of the two attacks you get. It wasn't pleasant taking so much Stealth to get the only viable prereq, but I went to that length and by endgame was absolutely melting everything including Ns at 950.

I figured I'd finally win with this Belegost build, but to my dismay I discovered that Rapid Attack doesn't co-exist with Rage in the throneroom, and I was only getting one attack as far as I could tell, even against the monster I was directly targeting. Not sure if I was still being penalized Str and Dex. Sadly enough even with +10 from Slaying I eventually succumbed to being surrounded by critters. If I had the throne room to play over again I could probably beat it though, it was late and I wasn't paying enough attention. I think I forgot to drink my Con potions...

4 0 5 3 has opened up whole new possibilities with this str build though. Way better than one more Dex and one less Con. It's not even close really.
BlueFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2014, 05:25   #19
Fendell Orcbane
Swordsman

Fendell Orcbane is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by taptap View Post
I don't understand this. Longbows are already better for melee dudes who put a few points into archery.
Longbows do so much more damage than short bows too. You can actually take molds out with them pretty quickly unlike short bows.
Fendell Orcbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2014, 10:22   #20
debo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fendell Orcbane View Post
Longbows do so much more damage than short bows too. You can actually take molds out with them pretty quickly unlike short bows.
I now inscribe all my early longbows with {Moldslayer}