Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old October 22, 2014, 22:46   #31
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Not that I pay the faintest attention to score, but if you're going to...

...I think FA has it about right.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2014, 08:52   #32
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Mikko Lehtinen is on a distinguished road
Different scoring systems for all classes!
Mikko Lehtinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2014, 10:11   #33
myshkin
Angband Devteam member

myshkin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
I think Psi (or someone else) had another character where they tried to gain the most levels at once. They stair scummed for a longbow and arrows and two-shotted an Erinyes to go from level 1 to level 31. Again, fun once, but super tedious.
I think I am guilty of this crime against moral rectitude, as part of a Hellband competition, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Psi also did it, and better.
myshkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2014, 12:13   #34
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Just play an alchemist in ToME2 and kill some mature dragon with your starting potion of detonations.
Old October 23, 2014, 13:36   #35
mushroom patch
Swordsman

mushroom patch is an unknown quantity at this point
Of course, I don't begrudge anyone their fun playing wild and woolly games of angband and dying between level 25 and 30 most of the time, but I would say that there's a lot of value in having a vital competitive scene in a game, especially a publicly accessible scene with spectating and so on, as you see with nethack and crawl. A good scoring scheme really helps there.

I mean, of course no one takes score seriously as it is currently implemented. I only started playing angband again a few months ago after about a fifteen year absence (and only then started winning). My first win, which I regard as my worst, was the highest scoring. I did the usual careful scumming, looting, and unique clearing approach, won at xp level 50 in like 1.6mil game turns. My most recent win is my best, but winning at xp level 47 with fairly bad equipment hurts your score (!). Top scoring ladder games have like 64mil turns or something... Probably not something you'd want to encourage.

Last edited by mushroom patch; October 23, 2014 at 17:23.
mushroom patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2014, 19:06   #36
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom patch View Post
I mean, of course no one takes score seriously as it is currently implemented. I only started playing angband again a few months ago after about a fifteen year absence (and only then started winning). My first win, which I regard as my worst, was the highest scoring. I did the usual careful scumming, looting, and unique clearing approach, won at xp level 50 in like 1.6mil game turns. My most recent win is my best, but winning at xp level 47 with fairly bad equipment hurts your score (!). Top scoring ladder games have like 64mil turns or something... Probably not something you'd want to encourage.
A while back (way back) I theorycrafted what would be desirable for "compband." The only parts I remembered were setting up level editors so that you could make specific challenges (including persistant levels or similar). I think I was also looking at the way of making real time competitions as well. You have a specific challenge and whoever gets to the goal first wins.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2014, 09:04   #37
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Mikko Lehtinen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
A while back (way back) I theorycrafted what would be desirable for "compband." The only parts I remembered were setting up level editors so that you could make specific challenges (including persistant levels or similar).
Some randomness may be desirable in competitions. That same element makes playing boardgames fun even against better players. In best boardgames, IMO, the player with the highest skill wins let's say 85% of the time.
Mikko Lehtinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2014, 12:28   #38
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think I was also looking at the way of making real time competitions as well. You have a specific challenge and whoever gets to the goal first wins.
We used to do that a lot in MAngband! One of the admin could use a sector of the wilderness, build some challenge area with the Dungeon Master command menu (layout + monsters + reward), and then inform the community of the challenge. For example, clear the castle of death and retrieve the power DSM in the central chamber. This is probably the perfect variant for real time competitions.
Old October 25, 2014, 08:20   #39
flechette
Scout

flechette is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think Psi (or someone else) had another character where they tried to gain the most levels at once. They stair scummed for a longbow and arrows and two-shotted an Erinyes to go from level 1 to level 31. Again, fun once, but super tedious.
That was me! From 1 to 33 in one kill, but it was 998491 turns before that kill happened. Scroll to the bottom to see the (fairly short) character log.

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10045
flechette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2014, 16:49   #40
Jax
Rookie

Jax is on a distinguished road
ive also been wondering a couple of things regarding turncount.
There are game turns and standard turns. One thing ive noticed in my play is that i have very low standard turns and very high game turns traditionally compared to many other characters. even my latest character has something like 50kstandard, 420kgame. other people's characters that i have seen also have this but nowhere near that ratio, so more like 50kstandard to 200kgame.

What is the relationship between the two? Which would you regard as a better gauge of the "speed" in which you complete the game?

I would like to optimise/find most efficient way to complete the game by turncount:>
as mentioned by people in this thread before i would be interested in setting some rules for a compband where the score is based on "turns" in some sense, disconnected stairs, turns in town dont count etc. possible handicaps on turncount eventually for race/class combos
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote