AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old February 27, 2015, 17:02   #11
StMicah
Adept

StMicah is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom patch View Post
Why would you want to know something is there so badly you're willing to wake it up?
To run away...fast!

I thought the same thing until I'd been killed by too many drolem as I walk down a dark corridor. Now I keep a few handy to see what's far-ish from me. Also, I use the rods as others have mentioned--to kill lines of light sensitive creatures. Often I play a ranger and shoot a beam down a corridor and fire away, picking off creatures as they walk towards me. This is my strategy for farming orc/ogre pits or human pits.
StMicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2015, 17:20   #12
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Especially in the early game, there are plenty of monsters that are only really dangerous in melee range, so it's more important that you know what's there than that you worry about whether or not it's awake.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2015, 18:43   #13
mushroom patch
Swordsman

mushroom patch is an unknown quantity at this point
Huh. Must be a mage thing.
mushroom patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2015, 18:54   #14
Djabanete
Knight

Djabanete is on a distinguished road
It's not just a mage thing, but maybe it's a playstyle thing. I treasure Rods of Light because they make orcs and trolls infinitely easier to kill. Later on, I really like to illuminate corridors just for the detection. How many hounds are breathing on me and is it worth walking towards them? Who tried to cast a spell but failed? What's the health bar on the guy I'm shooting bolts at?

I dunno, I think I got the idea from Timo some years ago and I've never looked back. I keep Rods of Light until late in the game. Once you have telepathy and a high permanent light radius and/or lots of other detection stuff, Rods of Light can start feeling like a wasted inventory slot for some characters.
Djabanete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2015, 20:06   #15
TJS
Swordsman

TJS is on a distinguished road
Even late game for non-priests you use them to light corridors to avoid nasty surprises (especially if you don't have telepathy).
TJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2015, 20:32   #16
Cfant
Rookie

Cfant is on a distinguished road
Well, as a mage I prefer show enenmies spell or whatever it is calles (it's in the first spellbook and costs only 1 or 2 mana).

What disturbes me more: Some creatures have "is hurt by light, does not resist xy", but if I use a light-spell, thy are less hurt as if I use xy, although light is their weakness.
At least that is my impression
Cfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2015, 20:45   #17
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfant View Post
Well, as a mage I prefer show enenmies spell or whatever it is calles (it's in the first spellbook and costs only 1 or 2 mana).

What disturbes me more: Some creatures have "is hurt by light, does not resist xy", but if I use a light-spell, thy are less hurt as if I use xy, although light is their weakness.
At least that is my impression
One advantage of the light spell over detection is that you can see your target every turn. You can also see if e.g. a new threat walks into view, instead of blindly firing spells down a dark corridor.

Spear of Light does, if I recall correctly, a flat 6d8 damage. That's pretty good when you first get it, but later mage offensive spells will definitely out-damage it even against resistant targets.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2015, 16:49   #18
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom patch View Post
I'm a bit curious about the use of light wands/rods. Doesn't the light wake up monsters? Why would you want to know something is there so badly you're willing to wake it up?
I use it in combination with detect monsters so it's unlikely to wake up something sleeping because if it's there it's wandered in. Spamming the rods every so often also leave areas to fight in where I'm less likely to cop a nasty surprise.
wobbly is online now   Reply With Quote