Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 8, 2009, 19:40   #1
konijn_
Hellband maintainer
 
konijn_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York, the Big Apple
Age: 43
Posts: 367
Donated: $120
konijn_ is on a distinguished road
Input for Demonic Weapons

Greetings,

somewhat close to the weapons in PernBand ( Tome ? ) that gained xp and got better and better, I would like to have Demonic Weapons.

They should evolve hitdice/bonus wise.

I was also considering the following options:

* gain resists and flags like SHARP and stuff ?
* at times replenish HP and MP of the player after killing stuff ?
* gimmicky, but maybe destroy books of White Magic on pick up, corrupt potions of heroism to become potions of berserk
* start aggravating if the weapon becomes annoyed at not having killed someone since a while ? probably gimmicky as well
* gain one random power of latest slain unique ?
* give to hit/dam bonus or higher crit. odds for monsters with high kill count ?
* make scrolls of enchant armor work on it ?
* other ?

T.
__________________
* Are you ready for something else ? Hellband 0.8.8 is out! *
konijn_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2009, 02:04   #2
buzzkill
Prophet
 
buzzkill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 2,939
Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
How about actually summoning a powerful demon to wield it (against it's former master) once it becomes powerful enough.
__________________
www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2009, 02:11   #3
konijn_
Hellband maintainer
 
konijn_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York, the Big Apple
Age: 43
Posts: 367
Donated: $120
konijn_ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
How about actually summoning a powerful demon to wield it (against it's former master) once it becomes powerful enough.
Hmmm, that or make it act like The Storm Bringer, yeah, that should be possible to code. Thx.

T.
__________________
* Are you ready for something else ? Hellband 0.8.8 is out! *
konijn_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2009, 02:26   #4
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,023
Derakon is on a distinguished road
It sounds to me like you want to have a situation where you start out with the weapon serving the player, but as you kill more and more enemies with it, the balance shifts until the player is serving the weapon, doing everything he/she can to keep it happy. Adding aggravation is a good touch to try to force the player into combat; if you continue to dissatisfy it it could summon monsters to you, push you deeper into the dungeon, de-power itself in the middle of a fight, and so on.

Some things I see being necessary:

* Some way to keep the player from just ditching the weapon when they're "done" with it. "Oops, I found Ringil. Guess I don't need you any more." Storing it in the home, dumping it in stores, or just dropping it on the floor should be imperfect escape mechanisms once the weapon gets strong enough.

* Some more elaborate mechanism for getting rid of it altogether. Maybe a special quest you could undertake to get it shattered by a mystic sledgehammer, or maybe you could transfer the demon's "soul" into an enemy and kill it that way.

* Very careful balancing so that it's not a no-brainer either to just use the thing ("Hey, I'm gonna be killing the entire pantheon <i>anyway</i>; may as well make my sword happy while I do it") or to outright avoid it ("No way am I using something that'll bring the entire dungeon down on me every time I try to rest").
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2009, 02:34   #5
konijn_
Hellband maintainer
 
konijn_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York, the Big Apple
Age: 43
Posts: 367
Donated: $120
konijn_ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
It sounds to me like you want to have a situation where you start out with the weapon serving the player, but as you kill more and more enemies with it, the balance shifts until the player is serving the weapon, doing everything he/she can to keep it happy. Adding aggravation is a good touch to try to force the player into combat; if you continue to dissatisfy it it could summon monsters to you, push you deeper into the dungeon, de-power itself in the middle of a fight, and so on.

Some things I see being necessary:

* Some way to keep the player from just ditching the weapon when they're "done" with it. "Oops, I found Ringil. Guess I don't need you any more." Storing it in the home, dumping it in stores, or just dropping it on the floor should be imperfect escape mechanisms once the weapon gets strong enough.

* Some more elaborate mechanism for getting rid of it altogether. Maybe a special quest you could undertake to get it shattered by a mystic sledgehammer, or maybe you could transfer the demon's "soul" into an enemy and kill it that way.

* Very careful balancing so that it's not a no-brainer either to just use the thing ("Hey, I'm gonna be killing the entire pantheon <i>anyway</i>; may as well make my sword happy while I do it") or to outright avoid it ("No way am I using something that'll bring the entire dungeon down on me every time I try to rest").
For Warlocks and Hell Knights I am considering perma curse at birth as part of the story telling. It might *curse* itself for other classes, so that you just need a *remove curse* to take it off.

I very much like the idea of descending dungeon levels if it gets unhappy. Maybe it just tricks you when you take stairs and gets you much lower and without stairs back

Depowering I dont like, summoning stuff should be easy.

T.
__________________
* Are you ready for something else ? Hellband 0.8.8 is out! *
konijn_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2009, 16:33   #6
NotMorgoth
Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 215
NotMorgoth is on a distinguished road
How about: they sometimes make you go berserk while fighting with them whether you want to or not.
NotMorgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2009, 15:18   #7
konijn_
Hellband maintainer
 
konijn_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York, the Big Apple
Age: 43
Posts: 367
Donated: $120
konijn_ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMorgoth View Post
How about: they sometimes make you go berserk while fighting with them whether you want to or not.
Yeah, maybe when hp goes below 1/3 , just to add that extra 'aaargh, not NOW!'

T.
__________________
* Are you ready for something else ? Hellband 0.8.8 is out! *
konijn_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2009, 18:55   #8
Djabanete
Knight
 
Djabanete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 545
Djabanete is on a distinguished road
Random berserk (Your weapon cries, "Let me guide your hand in slaughter!")
Random aggravate (Your weapon issues a blood-curdling wail!)
Random teleport-to (tries to place the @ next to the highest-level monster in sight) (Your weapon whispers, "Let us slay this one together...")
Random monster summoning (Your weapon cries, "I grow weary of this lack of violence!")
Random demon summoning (Your weapon says gleefully, "Let us do battle with my dark brethren!")
Random unique summoning ("Aha!" Your weapon shouts, "I have found us a worthy adversary!")
Random cursing/*cursing*
Random fireball centered on player (Your weapon coughs.)

edit: powers a demonic weapon could accrue as it levels up:
Resist Fire/Fear/Nether/Dark/Life Draining
Fire/Poison/Mana Brand
Vampiric
Sharp
Aggravation
Scrolls of Curse Weapon could act as Potions of Experience for the weapon
Slay Good/Human/Animal
Extra Blow(s)
Antimagic Shell
sense Demons

Last edited by Djabanete; December 12, 2009 at 19:00.
Djabanete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2009, 20:18   #9
konijn_
Hellband maintainer
 
konijn_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York, the Big Apple
Age: 43
Posts: 367
Donated: $120
konijn_ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djabanete View Post
Random berserk (Your weapon cries, "Let me guide your hand in slaughter!")
Random aggravate (Your weapon issues a blood-curdling wail!)
Random teleport-to (tries to place the @ next to the highest-level monster in sight) (Your weapon whispers, "Let us slay this one together...")
Random monster summoning (Your weapon cries, "I grow weary of this lack of violence!")
Random demon summoning (Your weapon says gleefully, "Let us do battle with my dark brethren!")
Random unique summoning ("Aha!" Your weapon shouts, "I have found us a worthy adversary!")
Random cursing/*cursing*
Random fireball centered on player (Your weapon coughs.)

edit: powers a demonic weapon could accrue as it levels up:
Resist Fire/Fear/Nether/Dark/Life Draining
Fire/Poison/Mana Brand
Vampiric
Sharp
Aggravation
Scrolls of Curse Weapon could act as Potions of Experience for the weapon
Slay Good/Human/Animal
Extra Blow(s)
Antimagic Shell
sense Demons
Nice! That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for, I'm also think about gaining activatable effects that demonic weapons might gain..

T.
__________________
* Are you ready for something else ? Hellband 0.8.8 is out! *
konijn_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2009, 20:35   #10
Tatami
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 59
Tatami is on a distinguished road
The stronger the weapon gets the "moodier" it gets, *curse* instead of curse etc. It would be like having two demonic patrons only this one messes with you at random.
Tatami is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
on morgul weapons bebo Vanilla 4 November 21, 2009 18:38
Not-so-great weapons Whelk Vanilla 21 August 5, 2009 16:43
[Un] coated weapons Atarlost Variants 3 April 17, 2008 09:27
[Feature request] Laptop friendly user input. chem Vanilla 12 April 17, 2008 02:29
A Question on the various weapons... Wisp Vanilla 15 July 20, 2007 23:39


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.