AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 22, 2010, 03:07   #11
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Or just cast light wherever you're standing. Or, heck, carry consumable ID with you. Money isn't all that dear, and you can spare an inventory slot for scrolls or staves.
More importantly, monsters spawn while you rest. Using ?id instead of casting spells could save you from an unlucky death.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2010, 05:44   #12
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerB View Post
Does that constitute offensive cross-posting? If so, I apologize.
No. I'm the one that told you to ask here. Also without the exactly same wording I wouldn't be able to tell that you are the same person.

You just left out that vital piece of information here that you are playing 3.0.6.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2010, 05:53   #13
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Derakon has it right. Ranger ID spell is pretty much useless. If you are finding yourself resting to cast ID, carry a decent stack of scrolls. If you have too much loot when returning, you can always drop ?ID/food/?Recall, etc.

The same holds for (almost) any utility spell: if you frequently find yourself resting to cast it, you probably shouldn't be using the spell.

Edit:
I really do like the title of this thread--artifact light source...FAIL!
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2010, 06:29   #14
nullfame
Adept

nullfame is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerB View Post
I'm a CL26 Ranger, just got my ID spell - so I'm spending a lot of time resting up for ID... one full lamp isn't enough to completely scour a "good" level.
Maybe I'm crazy but I don't even carry books 2-4. I am running a ranger right now (3.1.2v2) at dl40, cl30. I've never won with a ranger but my first win was with a rogue and I only carried 1, 5, and 7 until the very end and I imagine I'll do the same here. When I was willing to use !restoreMana I carried mb2-4, but for me that was only in the final two fights. Until then I preferred mana-free sources of ID, stone to mud, haste, teleport, and teleport other.

Oh and always cast light to rest. Or rest behind closed doors with always disturb. Or both. Stay away from the dark. I carry rods of light and use them compulsively.
nullfame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2010, 06:50   #15
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
@nullfame--
I tend to think in terms of the books I never carry: MB6 as rogue/ranger and MB9 as rogue. All the others I carry at some point in the game, often because of a single spell.
MB2 -- Teleport Self
MB3 -- Detect Invisible. (Given this, S2M, Sat. Hunger, and ID are a nice lagniappe*)
MB4 -- Haste Self
MB9 -- *Destruction* (Ranger)

MB 1,5,7,8 I carry at almost any cost.

* Nick-- I got to use it again. Isn't it just a fantastic word?
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2010, 08:52   #16
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
* Nick-- I got to use it again. Isn't it just a fantastic word?
I particularly like the way it's been successively borrowed by three different languages.

I liked the thread title, too...
Old September 22, 2010, 17:01   #17
diggerB
Rookie

diggerB is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Edit:
I really do like the title of this thread--artifact light source...FAIL!
LOL completely accidental, but it does fit doesn't it?

Anyhow, finally got it just this morning, dropped on DL15 by Nar, the Dwarf.
diggerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2010, 19:42   #18
nullfame
Adept

nullfame is on a distinguished road
Quote:
MB2 -- Teleport Self
Meh. This book is junk. I find scrolls easily enough and staffs are available in the shop. IMO teleport has a limited useful life. Maybe dl20-40. After that ?tl or ?dd all the time.

Quote:
MB3 -- Detect Invisible. (Given this, S2M, Sat. Hunger, and ID are a nice lagniappe*)
Detect invisible (or reveal monsters) is so expensive and not very reliable. By this point I certainly have SI and almost everything invisible is manageable until I find ESP. I use the same technique for food as fuel: eat until full in town, recall. For my money it is wand of stone to mud and stack of id or staff of the same.

Quote:
MB4 -- Haste Self
More or less same argument as detect invisible. By the time I can cast it reliably staffs are easy to come by. But this would be the 4th book I carry.

Quote:
MB9 -- *Destruction* (Ranger)
Never got that far with a ranger though, again, staffs and scrolls should be plentiful by this point in the dungeon.
nullfame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2010, 21:05   #19
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Having "free" access to Haste Self and Destruction are big game-changers. If you can haste yourself whenever you need to then you can take on fights that would otherwise be infeasible, which in turn means you're much more likely to survive at deeper depths. Similarly, unlimited Destruction means that anything you can't be arsed to deal with just goes away, period.

Since these are the two main targets of charge-draining monsters (I don't usually carry any other charged items by this depth), having those two spells in book form also makes dealing with liches and balrogs far more pleasant.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2010, 22:07   #20
Tiburon Silverflame
Swordsman

Tiburon Silverflame is on a distinguished road
I agree with Derakon. Granted, a ranger takes a lot longer to have the fail rate and mana cost on Haste Self come down, but I hate relying on consumables.

This is also why I like regeneration. Mana costs don't become completely irrelevant, but for the kinds of spot use we're talking about here (detections, haste) it's awesome. It's less effective when you're talking spellcasting as a primary damage mode, because you have to cast a lot.
Tiburon Silverflame is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
phial of galadriel