Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old October 9, 2007, 00:35   #11
Parcae
Rookie

Parcae is on a distinguished road
OK, I have no clue what just happened.

I'm clearing a vault, and shoot an arrow at a Scruffy-Looking Hobbit. It was standing on a trap. I then get a series of messages indicating items disappearing from the vault. What happened?
Parcae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2007, 00:40   #12
Djabanete
Knight

Djabanete is on a distinguished road

When items are generated as monster drops they tend to appear in unoccupied squares at or around the monster. While items can stack on top of other items if necessary, they can't stack on top of traps (or runes for that matter). So if you kill a monster and there are no nearby trap-free squares, the swag will just disappear. I believe that if it's an artifact it will just "jump" to somewhere else on the level; I once tested this in Town with runes.
Djabanete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2007, 05:51   #13
Parcae
Rookie

Updated dump, updated question.

Stat gain is winding to a close, and I'm wondering how deep I can safely go. Problems are:

1. Bow is less than overwhelming - I do MUCH more damage in melee. Thinking of trying a Paladin or Rogue next time....
2. No rBlind, no rConfu, no rPoison (although the last can be supplied temporarily via spell).
3. Weight. Even with Str near-maxed, ammo and books ensure that I am slowed (even after +2 speed from my weapon) most of the time. I do have a very lucky find, a Rod of Speed, to help out, though.

Against this, I have (I think) decent HP for the level (650), rBase, rDark, rLight and a good saving throw, as well as Hold Life. So: How far can I dive safely?
Old October 9, 2007, 06:30   #14
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcae View Post
1. Bow is less than overwhelming - I do MUCH more damage in melee. Thinking of trying a Paladin or Rogue next time....
Compared to your melee weapon, that xbow is not that great for a ranger. I would sell it (and all the heavy bolts), buy a regular longbow and enchant it up to (+9,+9); and an ego longbow should be near the top of your wanted list. Also, enchant your arrows. Buying enchant scrolls for this is good use of your money.

Quote:
2. No rBlind, no rConfu, no rPoison (although the last can be supplied temporarily via spell).
rConfu is probably the thing you need most, although !Speed, !CCW and teleport will mostly get you out of bad situations. RBlind is less important as you have RLite and RDark. RPois is OK for the next few levels, but big poison breathers become a threat after dl40. Detect monsters often.

Quote:
3. Weight. Even with Str near-maxed, ammo and books ensure that I am slowed (even after +2 speed from my weapon) most of the time. I do have a very lucky find, a Rod of Speed, to help out, though.
Ditching the xbow and bolts would help a lot. Try carrying only 2 copies of the town books, and recall if they get burnt.

Quote:
So: How far can I dive safely?
I'd be heading steadily down toward 50ish, detecting carefully and running when necessary. Slow down if it's feeling too dangerous for you.
Old October 9, 2007, 08:00   #15
Djabanete
Knight

Djabanete is on a distinguished road

Ranger bow damage is *massive*. It becomes incredibly powerful when you have a good bow (Bard, Belthronding, or a Bow of Lothlorien) and/or Tenser's Transformations (with which you can easy brand all arrows and enchant all bows and arrows to +9+9, or +15+15 if you feel like it).

In the meantime, a +9+9 longbow and whatever arrows you can find will serve you very well. Rangers get extra shots with the longbow; so while it might not look like you're doing as much damage as melee, you'll actually be making more shots per monster movement.

So yeah, what Nick said: get a +9+9 Longbow ASAP, and make use of the best arrows you can find, buy, or enchant. Don't be afraid to use up really good arrows; it's what they're there for.

Djabanete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2007, 09:26   #16
Dragonboneman
Adept

Dragonboneman is on a distinguished road
One exception: should you ever find Seeker Arrows of Holy Might, I'd suggest saving them for Morgoth.
Dragonboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2007, 10:26   #17
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonboneman View Post
One exception: should you ever find Seeker Arrows of Holy Might, I'd suggest saving them for Morgoth.
Or indeed any arrows or seeker arrows of Slay Evil. Save them all for Morgy. You're unlikely to find more than three or four stacks all game, so they're worth keeping.

CC
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2007, 13:06   #18
Dragonboneman
Adept

Dragonboneman is on a distinguished road
Indeed. I would say though that Arrows of Slay Evil can be used prior to the endgame if desperate, but they are rare enough that you should always try to use some other ego-ammo instead.
My first winner found The One Ring without EVER finding any Seeker Arrows of Holy Might.
Dragonboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2007, 07:40   #19
Parcae
Rookie

Well, I followed the advice to wander down to dlvl 50, but rBlind and rConf are still reluctant to appear, and I'm starting to worry about rNether as well (teleported away Azriel because I didn't want to find out the hard way how much damage his nether balls do unresisted). More speed would be very nice too, but that's not quite as much of a gaping hole as it used to be, thanks to a certain 4d5 longsword. I could also use equipment with more INT ( my fail rates are not pleasant to behold) and ideally another point of CON. (My 722 HP don't look as impressive at this level as they used to...) I do have rPoison and a half-decent longbow, though, and, having found Tenser's, can enchant my ammo.

This leaves me two questions:

1. Can I go any deeper, or am I fated to wander dlvl 50 until rConf and rNether show up?
2. I have a Scroll of Acquirement I've been saving for a while. What's a good level to use it?

The dump as always is here.
Old October 11, 2007, 09:03   #20
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
Scroll of Acquirement should be read immediatly (you don't want it to burn up by a fire hound attack or such).
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote