Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old November 3, 2011, 15:13   #21
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
One more question haha -- when a monster points at me and shouts "DIE!", what is that? In Nethack, power words of death were pretty much instadeath unless you had extra luck or an amulet of life-saving. That's what made most people genocide Liches.

Is it possible to outright die to this in Angband, or is this just a damaging spell with a terrifying cast description?
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2011, 16:58   #22
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
*Destruction* is the best escape in the game, and as such you should try to keep some spare. They form the core of my standard Morgoth strategy, which generally ends up requiring 5-8 casts of it or so to get rid of his summons (after teleporting Morgoth himself away). If you think you'll want to do that, then you should save as many scrolls as you can. However, you should also carry one or two around with you as emergency escapes, because sometimes you're in such dire straits that they're the only thing you know will save you.

Banishment deals either 1d3 or 1d4 damage per monster banished, I forget which. As long as you have full health before using them you should be fine.

"points at you and shouts "DIE!"" is simply the highest-level of the cause-wounds spell. It won't kill you outright, just deal a fair amount of damage and give you either a Deep Gash or a Mortal Wound, which will deal damage over time. CCW potions will help deal with that.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2011, 20:41   #23
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
"points at you and shouts "DIE!"" is simply the highest-level of the cause-wounds spell. It won't kill you outright
..unless you're on few enough hitpoints that it kills you outright. I think it's not so bad in Vanilla, but I've lost several characters this way in variants.
Old November 3, 2011, 21:04   #24
Derakon
Prophet

Er, yes, of course the part where your HP decrements can kill you. I meant more that it's not a "guaranteed instakill unless you save" attack, just another "does damage" attack that has a side-effect of also causing wounds.

Incidentally, IMO the other "points and curses" spells should also cause wounds. It'd make them more interesting. It'd also make aranea even more deadly, though...
Old November 4, 2011, 05:38   #25
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
Well, I was augmented out the nose when I fought Kavlax, and he was all by his lonesome. I had all perm + temp on all elemental resists and +22 speed. He only had the chance to breathe a few times.
"few times" can be fatal. Among other things Kavlax can breathe gravity. +22 speed is no guarantee when after first breath you are at +12, stunned and blinked and hurt by 200 points, then get another 200+ points from Nexus, Chaos, Sound or Shards. I think chaos would be the worst in that unless you had confusion protection.

It's Russian roulette with Kavlax. If it chooses to use the worst you are easily toast unless you have managed to reduce its HP quite a bit before it does that, easy if it doesn't choose to use worst.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2011, 15:29   #26
debo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
"few times" can be fatal. Among other things Kavlax can breathe gravity. +22 speed is no guarantee when after first breath you are at +12, stunned and blinked and hurt by 200 points, then get another 200+ points from Nexus, Chaos, Sound or Shards. I think chaos would be the worst in that unless you had confusion protection.

It's Russian roulette with Kavlax. If it chooses to use the worst you are easily toast unless you have managed to reduce its HP quite a bit before it does that, easy if it doesn't choose to use worst.
Fair enough. And in all honesty, I thought there was a really good chance I might die. However, I got him down to ~70% HP before he even moved, and he was even lower by the time he started breathing.

I had confusion protection and +Sound and +Nexus when I fought him... Shards and Gravity would really have sucked

I have yet another question -- is it possible for Rods in your pack to be destroyed by anything? It hasn't happened to me yet, but I just found a Rod of Recall and thought about tossing out all my Recall scrolls, but I don't want something to blow it up and leave me stranded down at dlvl 50 :S
Old November 4, 2011, 15:33   #27
debo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Er, yes, of course the part where your HP decrements can kill you. I meant more that it's not a "guaranteed instakill unless you save" attack, just another "does damage" attack that has a side-effect of also causing wounds.

Incidentally, IMO the other "points and curses" spells should also cause wounds. It'd make them more interesting. It'd also make aranea even more deadly, though...
I think it would be fun to give Liches an instadeath spell in Vanilla. Maybe Hold Life could provide protection to it, or something. It would sure make them a heck of a lot scarier
Old November 4, 2011, 16:11   #28
Therem Harth
Knight

Therem Harth is on a distinguished road
The Lich pulls out a pistol and shoots you. -more-
You die.

(Liches are quick draws and excellent shots. No muscles make for a steady hand.)
Therem Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2011, 16:33   #29
debo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therem Harth View Post
The Lich pulls out a pistol and shoots you. -more-
You die.

(Liches are quick draws and excellent shots. No muscles make for a steady hand.)
The Lich shouts "BOOM! HEADSHOT!"
Old November 4, 2011, 17:22   #30
Derakon
Prophet

Honestly, at +22 speed Kavlax should be doable, so long as you have HP to match. Yes, gravity breath is very bad, but Kavlax is only at +10 speed, so even if he hits you with gravity breath you're still faster than him; you'll be able to react before he gets another chance to breathe.

Regarding rod destruction: some rods are vulnerable to electrical attacks (like wands are), and some aren't. 'I'nspect the rod to check. Recall is invulnerable, so if you don't mind not being able to start recalling again as soon as you enter the dungeon, you can go ahead and ditch those scrolls.