AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old January 20, 2012, 05:04   #31
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fendell Orcbane View Post
I think Sil is great and part of the reason that people are finding it hard is that no one has beat it yet. Once we know that victory(and we have a formula for winning like we do for Angband) is possible people will start winning a lot more often and people will be like "Sil is too easy".
There was a winner on the ladder -- Sindar to boot -- but it's hard to tell because 1.0 dumps didn't identify winners in a way that could be recognized for highlighting on the grid.
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2012, 06:04   #32
Satyr
Scout

Satyr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
There was a winner on the ladder -- Sindar to boot -- but it's hard to tell because 1.0 dumps didn't identify winners in a way that could be recognized for highlighting on the grid.
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=12335

I'm currently trying to repeat that in 1.0.1, but so far all I have is a growing heap of dead Sindar
Satyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2012, 06:28   #33
sethos
Apprentice

sethos is on a distinguished road
Actually - I think that the start would be a lot easier if a piece of armor of some kind were guaranteed in the starting room - a start with even leather boots or leather armor would be much nicer to the starting player - I've had games where all I got were bad potions on the first two levels!

Of course, you could build a smith at that point, but meh.
Old January 20, 2012, 06:45   #34
ekolis
Knight

ekolis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ekolis Send a message via MSN to ekolis Send a message via Yahoo to ekolis
Speaking of smithing, I thought I heard that there's a guaranteed forge at DL2 / 100ft. But I haven't seen any forges in a while, and I have been exploring levels. Is something wrong or do the forges tend to be hidden behind secret doors or something?
ekolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2012, 08:05   #35
Satyr
Scout

Satyr is on a distinguished road
It's always on the second level you visit, regardless of depth. So the easiest way to get to a forge is takeing the up stairs on 50' that will return you to a 50' level with a guaranteed forge. (But you won't get very much exp on 50', so in that case you should better buy all smithing abilities you want at the start)
Satyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2012, 09:52   #36
decoy
Scout

decoy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatha View Post
From my experience I think there is a bit of truth in this, but it's not nearly so extreme as you suggest. If I'm playing a combat-oriented Noldor, I think perhaps 80% of my characters reach 500ft, and some of those that die needn't have done. Of course sometimes you do just have bad luck, but I would guess that quite a few of the deaths you mention are avoidable -- but perhaps you're not sufficiently invested in the character at that stage to be careful about avoiding them.

Sometimes I try a character who should have a good mid-to-late game, but hasn't yet got their skills/abilities/equipment together and is a bit weak on combat, and then I admit that I tend to burn through a few more in the early game, but even then it's nothing like thirty-to-one.
Yes, perhaps part of my problem is that I have been focusing on non-combat characters recently. My first really successful exploration of the game (posted earlier in the thread), I was really just trying to survive and try out as many different things as possible--and it shows in the character. I focused on raising skiils (for survival) and got a smattering of abilities that seemed like a good idea at the time, and things worked out alright.

But, I just like playing the non-combat characters. It's interesting, and intense, and tough. When they live, it's super fun. They just have a habit of getting spanked by crebain or wolves or umm. Just about anything. (ETA: Admittedly, it would be kind of nice to hit a crebain once in a while with 5 dex and no offensive penalties. As it stands, my characters usually just get pecked to death while they feebly attempt to land a shot in return.)

Unfortunately, I've even had a few that made it past some key thresholds, and have still bitten it for whatever reason (most recently it was stumbling into a spider's web followed by two failed Staff of Slumber uses--lousy luck followed by really lousy luck followed by downright awful luck).

I love the game, though. It's epic, I'm just leaving piles of (my own characters') corpses all over everywhere. What a mess.

Last edited by decoy; January 20, 2012 at 12:41.
decoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2012, 14:17   #37
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
So clearly what needs to happen is, every time someone wins, they get added as a new unique monster and the game is patched so their method of winning no longer works.
This is the coolest idea, ever.
HallucinationMushroom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2012, 15:16   #38
half
Knight

half is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by decoy View Post
(ETA: Admittedly, it would be kind of nice to hit a crebain once in a while with 5 dex and no offensive penalties. As it stands, my characters usually just get pecked to death while they feebly attempt to land a shot in return.)
Crebain have a defence of [+9] (with no protection at all) and 1d4 health, so any hit should kill them. You should definitely be able to hit them quite easily with a Dex 5 character. If you have Dex 5 and 4 points in melee, that would be (+9) to attack, so you should hit them almost 50% of the time (you need to beat their score).

If you have trouble hitting something, remember that the things that halve your evasion also halve the enemies' evasion. For example, archery halves enemy evasion, so can be useful for birds and dragonflies and things. I should note that the only monsters which need light in order to see you are @s and Gs (which carry their own light), but if you turn out your torch and shoot them from the darkness, you can halve their evasion twice.
half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2012, 16:53   #39
nppangband
NPPAngband Maintainer

nppangband is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
So clearly what needs to happen is, every time someone wins, they get added as a new unique monster and the game is patched so their method of winning no longer works.
That is what Robert Alan Keoneke did with the original Moria.
Downloads:
https://app.box.com/s/1x7k65ghsmc31usmj329pb8415n1ux57
nppangband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2012, 18:06   #40
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nppangband View Post
That is what Robert Alan Keoneke did with the original Moria.
Thank you for remembering. I was hoping someone would.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote