Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 27, 2013, 18:02   #21
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
The "pop" sound is simply the message you get when something teleports and you can't see it; you'd hear it even if e.g. you were blinded and an apprentice cast Phase Door.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 16:01   #22
OOD Town drunk
Adept

OOD Town drunk is on a distinguished road
I understand that many aspects of Angband, namely dice rolls, are nontransparent intentionally. (Although, I notice in 3.5 that your damage results are shown; which so far I like)

The amount of SP that you are penalized for excessive equipment weight; left nontransparent intentionally? Or has this just been overlooked so long that people have learned to simply deal with it without much more than a thought?

Either way, this is something that can be checked by removing your equipment, so I don't see why there couldn't be a line on your character sheet specifying your penalty.

I am open to agreement and/or disagreement.
Is this something that can be considered?
OOD Town drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 16:07   #23
Derakon
Prophet

The SP penalty is simply 1 point for every pound over the weight limit, which I believe is 25 pounds.
Old May 1, 2013, 16:14   #24
OOD Town drunk
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
The SP penalty is simply 1 point for every pound over the weight limit, which I believe is 25 pounds.

Is there a separate weight limit for your equipped equipment? Because you can be penalized and not exceed your carry weight, unless I am horribly mistaken
Old May 1, 2013, 17:10   #25
Derakon
Prophet

The SP penalty only applies to armor you are wearing; the only penalty for having a heavy pack is a speed penalty.

There's an additional penalty for arcane casters (mage/rogue/ranger) if they wear gloves that don't provide FA or a DEX boost; I believe that their SP is simply cut to 1/3rd in that case.
Old May 1, 2013, 18:40   #26
OOD Town drunk
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
!! I had an AHA moment when I reread this message of yours right here. I missed the 25 lb part. haha
I was really confused because I thought you meant the same weight limit as your regular encumbrance limit.
Old May 9, 2013, 19:35   #27
OOD Town drunk
Adept

How balanced are the elements as far as enemies are concerned? I am on dlvl 15 and have both a ring of resist fire and cold, and need to choose... I feel like they fall into the following order of commonality:

Acid
Fire
Cold
Lightning
Poison

That is just kinda how it feels to me. Does anybody know more about this?
Old May 9, 2013, 19:57   #28
Derakon
Prophet

It varies strongly depending on where you are in the dungeon, but generally speaking by, oh, dungeon level 30 or so you want to have resistance to the "base four" elements (fire/cold/acid/elec) all the time because they're all relevant. Sooner if you play a fragile class, a bit later if you play a sturdy class. Those rings can be potentially useful for patching holes in your resistance, if you haven't found better options, but usually you're better off spending your ring slots on things that help you kill better -- damage, stat boosts, and the like.

At level 15 it doesn't really matter much. I guess I'd favor resist cold in this situation just because there are spellcasters who can sling around ice bolts at this point, but none who can use fire bolts. Melee and breath elemental damage at this stage is pretty trivial so resistance is irrelevant there, but ice bolts can hurt.
Old May 9, 2013, 20:31   #29
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
If I can't find any decent resistance armor early, I try to buy an amulet of resist acid from the bm or the magic shop. Water hounds show up a bit later (around level 20), but they really can damage your entire gear if you lack racid.

For small dragons and other hounds it might be wise to have some means of protection as a swap until you find protective gear.
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 21:09   #30
OOD Town drunk
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondkalb View Post
If I can't find any decent resistance armor early, I try to buy an amulet of resist acid from the bm or the magic shop. Water hounds show up a bit later (around level 20), but they really can damage your entire gear if you lack racid.

For small dragons and other hounds it might be wise to have some means of protection as a swap until you find protective gear.
Does rAcid affect the amount of damage your armor takes? I know immunity to acid negates it entirely, although I usually am decked out with a full set of armor immune to acid by the time I ever find acid immunity

Tags
bug, questions, requests, suggestions, vanilla