AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 9, 2013, 21:09   #31
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondkalb View Post
If I can't find any decent resistance armor early, I try to buy an amulet of resist acid from the bm or the magic shop. Water hounds show up a bit later (around level 20), but they really can damage your entire gear if you lack racid.
This is a common misconception -- resist acid doesn't protect your gear in the slightest. You have to be completely immune to acid to protect your gear from acid damage. However, when acid damages your gear (or fails to damage an acid-ignoring item, like a shield of resistance), the HP damage you take is halved.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 21:15   #32
OOD Town drunk
Adept

OOD Town drunk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
This is a common misconception -- resist acid doesn't protect your gear in the slightest. You have to be completely immune to acid to protect your gear from acid damage. However, when acid damages your gear (or fails to damage an acid-ignoring item, like a shield of resistance), the HP damage you take is halved.
Ok that's what I thought. I hate acid...black puddings and water hounds fuggin my armor all up
OOD Town drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 21:19   #33
Raajaton
Swordsman

Raajaton is on a distinguished road
The worst is turning the corner to find an OOD Ochre jelly at low level. Damn things get like 22 turns on you before you get to move, and by that point most of your gear is garbage. Hate those damn things. I feel like I never even see them at-depth, only when I'm not nearly strong enough to deal with them and before I have a source of teleportation to get away from them.
Raajaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 21:32   #34
Derakon
Prophet

Ochre jellies are native to 650' and have 6 acid attacks per normal-speed turn. They're also pretty fragile. Acidic cytoplasms, however, are native to 1750' and have 8 acid attacks per normal-speed turn, plus a fair amount of HP.

And of course, Black puddings have 4 attacks/turn, unreasonable durability, and come in groups. But they also tend to drop plenty of items, so I forgive them.
Old May 9, 2013, 21:38   #35
OOD Town drunk
Adept

I still remember my first encounter with the gelatinous cube. It was a sad day for me. I got a lot more attached to my equipment back then. Luckily you could buy enchant armor scrolls in the alchemy shop. When did that change anyway?
Old May 9, 2013, 21:48   #36
Starhawk
Adept

Starhawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OOD Town drunk View Post
Should the priest be evil? I understand the idea of an evil priest, but I've noticed before that most of the holy-magic type enemies aren't evil. Such as the acolytes.
Pretty sure this is drawing off the "evil high priest" trope from very early editions of D&D. I haven't played Vanilla in a while, but don't these guys summon demons and such?

Obviously they've been corrupted, and now worship Morgoth...
Starhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 21:57   #37
Derakon
Prophet

Quote:
When did that change anyway?
I'd assume enchant-armor scrolls went away at the same time that enchant-weapon scrolls did, probably 2-3 years ago. Enchant Weapon To-Dam is too useful to be sold in stores (in the sense that a self-enchanted dagger or longbow is almost certainly going to be better than anything you find before 1000'). The other two aren't that bad, but it'd be a bit weird to have Enchant Armor and Enchant Weapon To-Hit sold and To-Dam be notably absent.
Old May 10, 2013, 03:58   #38
OOD Town drunk
Adept

How difficult would it be to color code the ^p message recall command? (including the term window)

I'm thinking something like highlighting enemy kills one color, items being destroyed due to ice/fire/whatever another color. Just an idea to make it a little easier to look at.

Currently, I find it quite easy to have my last ?WoR burn up without realizing it.(and many similar situations)
Old May 10, 2013, 04:35   #39
Twilight
Apprentice

Twilight is on a distinguished road
Quote:
How difficult would it be to color code the ^p message recall command? (including the term window)

I'm thinking something like highlighting enemy kills one color, items being destroyed due to ice/fire/whatever another color. Just an idea to make it a little easier to look at.

Currently, I find it quite easy to have my last ?WoR burn up without realizing it.(and many similar situations)
I did a patch a few years ago to make this easier, which is in the game unless something's changed since I was last active. You could check out this thread: http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=3417. I believe I even posted a (bit too) colorful message.prf there, but it's an example of what can be done.
Old May 10, 2013, 07:45   #40
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
What was I thinking? Must have been the wheather ... ^^

Of course, resistance amulets and rings don't protect any gear or inventory items.

Resist acid on armor howewer protects it from being harmed by acid.
Mondkalb is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bug, questions, requests, suggestions, vanilla