Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 11, 2013, 23:04   #41
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OOD Town drunk View Post
How balanced are the elements as far as enemies are concerned? I am on dlvl 15 and have both a ring of resist fire and cold, and need to choose... I feel like they fall into the following order of commonality:

ACID, FIRE, COLD, ELEC, POISON
That is just kinda how it feels to me. Does anybody know more about this?
That's about right, though I think POISON is more common that ELEC.

But the frequency of attack isn't what really counts--it's the deadliness. The first really deadly monster is the Hell Hound, which moves quickly, comes in groups, and does ~100HP fire damage.

On the other hand, while acid attacks are very common, they are reduced in damage by 50%, so long as they are partially blocked by your armor.

Late in the game, ELEC attacks can be very dangerous, because 50% of classes can't get double resist, and the max damage is 1600.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 23:10   #42
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Late in the game, ELEC attacks can be very dangerous, because 50% of classes can't get double resist, and the max damage is 1600.
And Pazuzu is a right bastard, with 4x 12d12 melee attacks that deal partial electric damage. He's also at +30 speed. Time was that electrical immunity would basically neuter him, but now monster melee attacks that have an elemental component still deal some amount of physical damage.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 23:19   #43
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OOD Town drunk View Post
Ok that's what I thought. I hate acid...black puddings and water hounds fuggin my armor all up
Black puddings drop tons of loot, though -- really easy way to get stat potions and the like, if you have +10 speed or acid immunity.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 23:43   #44
Oramin
Swordsman

Oramin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
And Pazuzu is a right bastard, with 4x 12d12 melee attacks that deal partial electric damage. He's also at +30 speed. Time was that electrical immunity would basically neuter him, but now monster melee attacks that have an elemental component still deal some amount of physical damage.
"I see you have far too many wands. Here let me help you with that problem."

- Pazuzu
Oramin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013, 06:39   #45
scud
Swordsman

scud is on a distinguished road
I have an OFFICIAL Angband (3.3.2) Question:

What's the rationale behind Rods of Healing having ten times the recharge time of Rods of Speed?
scud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013, 13:07   #46
Timo Pietilä
Prophet

Timo Pietilä is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by scud View Post
I have an OFFICIAL Angband (3.3.2) Question:

What's the rationale behind Rods of Healing having ten times the recharge time of Rods of Speed?
Haste is a cheap spell, heal is not.

Seriously, for gameplay reason heal has higher value than temporary speed boost. With very fast charge healing rods you could have practically infinite HP.
Timo Pietilä is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 02:51   #47
scud
Swordsman

scud is on a distinguished road
I could work my way through half a dozen Rods of Healing in 30 seconds of melée – this might reflect more on my somewhat confrontational playing style than the rod's effectiveness – and then wait an age for them to recharge.

On the other hand, at a base speed of +15 a Rod of Speed takes just 250 turns to recharge and is effective for 2d10+20. I'm packing four of them which means even an idiot like me is essentially permanently hastened.

There does seem to be a huge difference in the utility of the two rods. Perhaps the first should *heal* rather than heal 500HP? Perhaps the second should give a speed boost of between 5–10 that's rerolled on each use?
scud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 03:11   #48
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
The player should not have access to lots and lots of free healing. Not unless they want to play as a priest (or maybe a paladin). Large heals break the game; they allow you to play without much of a mind towards tactics. Being able to haste yourself is important, but it's also easily replicated by other relatively common items (potions of Speed and staves of Speed). Healing is comparatively rare, in the sense that you aren't going to drink a potion of Healing without considering your alternatives.

That doesn't necessarily mean that the rod of healing shouldn't have a shorter recharge time, but comparing it to the rod of speed is misleading, since the two have completely different power levels and "replaceability". In my opinion, the primary use of the rod of speed is to allow warriors and holy casters to have a source of temporary speed that isn't potions (which should usually be saved for the endgame) and isn't subject to drain-charges attacks.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 03:17   #49
ninmonkey
Rookie

ninmonkey is on a distinguished road
This would be more useful / easier to read, if you have it on a wiki.
ninmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 04:51   #50
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Rod of healing is probably the least useful of the high rods. They are not suitable for replacing other healing gear for various reasons: chance of failure, rarity, long recharge time. Even staff of healing is preferred to 1 single rod of healing, and chances are you wont get a stack of them before the game is over.

When I find one (not in every game) I usually do make room at least in my home for it, hoping that more will be found, but typically I end up not using them at all.

Apart from reducing recharge time, I can see 2 other ways that would improve their usefulness:
1. make them more common, so you can expect to eventually have a stack;
2. reduce the number of healing potions, perhaps by removing !*healing*. This would free some space and make it more feasible to carry yet another source of healing like the rod.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bug, questions, requests, suggestions, vanilla