Sky is on a distinguished road
Impressive!
Old January 2, 2019, 02:14   #22
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Why make this change?
High resists have been made more uniform and reliable, with all high elements (aside from poison) now giving randomly between 1/3 and 1/2 resistance. There is also some tweaking of damage caps, with light and dark now capped at 500, and nether and chaos at 600. Monsters affected so far: everything that breathes or casts ball spells.

That is a huge change that I don't recall being discussed. Making the game easier or more predictable seems questionable. It is worth noting that dark and light resist already have similar behavior to this. But why make resistances so good?
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2019, 02:32   #23
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Why make this change?
High resists have been made more uniform and reliable, with all high elements (aside from poison) now giving randomly between 1/3 and 1/2 resistance. There is also some tweaking of damage caps, with light and dark now capped at 500, and nether and chaos at 600. Monsters affected so far: everything that breathes or casts ball spells.

That is a huge change that I don't recall being discussed. Making the game easier or more predictable seems questionable. It is worth noting that dark and light resist already have similar behavior to this. But why make resistances so good?
Dark and light resistances are now actually worse, sound is about the same, and the others are better (note the increases to the damage cap, too).

Reasons for the changes include:
  • Simplification of what the player has to remember. Not such a problem for people who have been playing forever, but it reduces the amount of critical knowledge to learn.
  • Makes getting the resist or not a clearer choice - you can still decide to do without RNether if you want, but the downside is bigger.
  • Works in conjunction with the adding of extra effects for powerful balls and breaths to give room for a bigger gradient of monster difficulty toward the bottom of the dungeon. This isn't really showing yet, but will be more apparent when as the monster list changes.
  • It's an edit file change that's easy to reverse, and I want to see how it plays. This seems like a reasonable starting point, but we could end up somewhere else.

This is an experimental branch, and specifics can be changed at any point (note how much this has happened, and is still happening, with classes). Thanks for questioning, it has made me justify something that was partly gut feeling
Old January 2, 2019, 06:06   #24
mrfy
Apprentice

mrfy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
[*]New attack type SPIT, which allows monsters to spit various stuff at the player from a distance of up to 3 grids. Monsters affected so far: king cobra
Killer fire beetles can spit to burn, I assume they'll get this attribute too.
mrfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2019, 06:32   #25
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
The changes are as follows:
  • New attack type SPIT
  • New attack type WHIP
I like both these changes. I'm idly hopeful that the new infrastructure is setup to take other verbs? In the same way that you can currently add new attack types to monsters that just use different verbs/nouns/adjectives?
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2019, 09:17   #26
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
"New attack type WHIP, where monsters up to two grids away can lash the player with a whip, possibly of some type (usually fire). Monsters affected so far: greater Balrog."

PWMAngband has "Succubus". Will definitely get this.
Old January 2, 2019, 11:27   #27
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
I like both these changes. I'm idly hopeful that the new infrastructure is setup to take other verbs? In the same way that you can currently add new attack types to monsters that just use different verbs/nouns/adjectives?
WHIP and SPIT are monster spells (see monster_spell.txt) that both use the (new) LASH effect. Spells using existing effects only need changes to the data files; if you want to make a new effect, that requires changes to the actual C code.
Old January 2, 2019, 17:49   #28
Monkey Face
Adept

Monkey Face is on a distinguished road
It's not a spell, but how about monsters with long tails being able to WHIP you with them from two grids away?
Monkey Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2019, 13:13   #29
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quick note of warning here. I seem to have found another crash bug on this branch to do with monster groups (killing a monster sometimes crashes the game). I will be trying to track down this bug and the save-but-can't-reload bug (also group-related), but until then testing this branch is not for the faint-hearted.
Old January 4, 2019, 22:13   #30
jevansau
Adept

jevansau is on a distinguished road
I've had a couple of crash on descends with this build.
jevansau is offline   Reply With Quote