Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old May 27, 2020, 00:43   #81
Bucephalus
Scout

Bucephalus is on a distinguished road
The new version is great, by the way. Not sure if I mentioned that, but cheers.

One feature I'd love to see is a display for how much energy your last action took. Certain things invisibly use more or less (moving through forest as a centaur, or walking with the Craven personality or Fleet of Foot (these stack, making them pretty appealing for berserkers), firing shots (based on class, experience, launcher and ring bonuses), teleporting with the appropriate perk, double and triple attacks, yellow mage spells, et probably cetera).

Although it's possibly working as intended, retaliation versus long reach opponents is thematically kind of goofy. Versus a t-rex, you know, fine. You punch him in the snout. But against an archaeologist? What, are you attacking his whip?
Bucephalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2020, 15:55   #82
budswell
Adept

budswell is on a distinguished road
So my ring is (amazingly) still alive. Another question:
Is it possible to stop your mount from teleporting? Like how you could inscribe some items of teleportation with {.} (or was that Tome2?).
Not a big issue, just wondering. I've noticed I prefer non-teleporters
budswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2020, 16:15   #83
Sideways
Knight

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Press 'p' for pet options and turn off "allow teleport".
Old June 14, 2020, 05:10   #84
budswell
Adept

Thanks, can't belive I never noticed that before. Thieving minions are now useful.

But on to my current Mauler character:
- Is there a downside to the "splatter" ability? (e.g. Do exploding corpses destroy potions? Penalty to-hit?). Or is it just a choice between splatter & block now that I have both?

Will "splatter" destroy a wanted corpse?

Edit:
Unrelated question: I find I have nothing against teleporting healers with confusion immunity. Wands/Staves of confusion are my standard way of dealing with casters.
For example currently struggling with "Importington". Closest I have got is down to 3 stars, but concerned if I keep trying I'll end up with nothing left in my backpack and coin pouch. Any recommended tactics? Or should I just run away until I am OP enough to do him in a couple of hits

Last edited by budswell; June 14, 2020 at 07:58.
Old June 14, 2020, 14:26   #85
Sideways
Knight

Fights like that are sometimes very, very annoying - just when you think you finally have them down, you miss one key hit and they heal again and then seemingly vanish from the map and you never get them down to 1 star again. But most of the time you can get the job done without being über-strong.

A few tips I would give:

1) Temporary speed helps, though it's very easy to run out of !speed against an opponent like Rich or Implorington.
2) Heroism helps a bit, especially if you're shooting him to support your melee.
3) Good offensive devices are always handy; they do run out of charges quite quickly, and you never know when someone like Implorington will just heal the damage right back with interest, but unless you have good offensive spells or archery they are still the most reliable way to hurt opponents from range.
4) Use closed doors to your advantage, especially on melee builds. Standing next to a closed door might mean an Implorington double-move consists of him bashing the door open and then moving next to you, rather than of him moving next to you and then proceeding to steal from you; so you get a valuable opportunity to hit him. It's also easy to start running low on detection in fights like this; if you notice a door getting opened, that tells you where the monster is.
5) Yes, sometimes it is better to leave such enemies for later But it's also satisfying to get them out of the way - especially if they have already stolen half your kit and you want it back... And of course, if you play coffee-break and get them as level guardians then you do want them dead.
6) On Maulers specifically, Close In might help in the right situation; between that and door tactics I'd expect you to get the job done.

--

I don't think Splatter has any downsides, but as you noted, you can only have one toggle on at a time.

Last edited by Sideways; June 14, 2020 at 14:34.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2020, 08:37   #86
budswell
Adept

Thanks for the tips.

Is there any downside of failing a level guardian quest by running (recalling) away? Does the unique still show up later?

What about the other quests?

I have been playing coffeebreak mode recently. Get to the fun abilities sooner, but always dying around the same CL (high 20s). With only down stairs, I find it harder to control the pace. My current mage has trump, so will see if reset recall proves helpful for this (probably not - most of the time I die because I am crap, over-ambitious, and/or not paying attention).
Old June 15, 2020, 16:50   #87
Sideways
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by budswell View Post
Thanks for the tips.

Is there any downside of failing a level guardian quest by running (recalling) away? Does the unique still show up later?

What about the other quests?

I have been playing coffeebreak mode recently. Get to the fun abilities sooner, but always dying around the same CL (high 20s). With only down stairs, I find it harder to control the pace. My current mage has trump, so will see if reset recall proves helpful for this (probably not - most of the time I die because I am crap, over-ambitious, and/or not paying attention).
Failing quests depends a bit on what the quest is like:

1) The quests for Oberon and the Serpent cannot be failed at all;
2) recalling/running away from a level guardian quest in a normal-speed game gives you the option of either deliberately failing the quest or simply leaving it there for later;
3) recalling or running away from a quest in any other situation fails that quest.

The consequences of failing a quest are that you miss out on the reward, your fame takes a hit and (if you're playing in coffee-break mode) the special coffee-break bonus that allows for accelerated reforging is severely reduced. Better reforging is also the main reason you want fame; so if you don't care about the reward and don't care about reforging, a quest failure is not that bad.

I do think uniques from failed quests can reappear on other levels to give you even more headaches; at least, looking at the code, there's a bug somewhere if they can't.
Old June 26, 2020, 08:51   #88
budswell
Adept

In Coffeebreak mode, does the temple not restock over time? Been resting for 2 game days, and still no heaping potions...
Old June 26, 2020, 17:43   #89
Sideways
Knight

Shops restock just as they normally do, so all shops except the Black Market can be rest/sleepscummed, and essentials like !csw, ?phasedoor and ?teleportation are guaranteed at birth. But since you're limited to a single Temple, rather than having the Temples of six or seven towns to choose from, situations where you cannot buy an item anywhere are more likely.

If you don't want to sleepscum (and I don't want to encourage sleepscumming...) you can always pay to have the shop inventory shuffled. I don't think I've ever needed to shuffle for !csw in coffee-break mode, but I have shuffled for Phase Door a couple times because I kept dumping it to get room for other loot and it didn't generate fast enough in the Alchemy Shop to support that habit.
Old June 29, 2020, 03:32   #90
chem
Adept

chem is on a distinguished road
is there a spoiler webpage somewhere for the artifact rewards / guardians of all the dungeons and quests?

what's changed the most since, uh, chengband?
chem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frogcomposband