Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 20, 2020, 03:12   #1
candidgamera
Rookie

candidgamera is on a distinguished road
Tileset Question

I'm at my wit's end to answer this one, and I've come to you, my fellow adventurers, to try and figure this out. I've enjoyed many versions of Angband over the years, and found something to like in each of them - but one of them had my favorite tileset (or possibly font) of all time, and I am hoping I can find it again and apply it to current games.

It almost certainly is from a DOS or Windows vanilla version of Angband, pre-3.0. I know I played 2.7.9, but even though I scraped up an archival copy of it, I can't really get it to run on a modern PC, so I wasn't able to really check to see if it had what I was looking for.

The font or tileset looked like ASCII. Except there were special characters added in the character set - rings looked like a circle with a little stud on top. Basically, an ASCII-style ring. Armor objects looked like grey or brown t-shirt, as if there were an ASCII 'shirt' character. Monsters still looked like letters, it was mostly gear that had specialized icons.

Does this ring a bell for anyone else, and is there any hope I can find this to use in current versions of Angband? (Or Zangband 2.4, which I recently rediscovered..)
candidgamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2020, 03:40   #2
Bill Peterson
Adept

Bill Peterson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bill Peterson
Even if you can't get that early Angband to run, the tile image file should be in the lib subdirectory.
Bill Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2020, 04:13   #3
candidgamera
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Peterson View Post
Even if you can't get that early Angband to run, the tile image file should be in the lib subdirectory.
Early DOS versions don't seem to have a separate graphics file, and every version I can find with a bitmap 'tileset' does not have the correct one. I'm hoping people here can tell me which version it was, and whether it was a font or a tileset..
Old June 20, 2020, 04:15   #4
candidgamera
Rookie

And if the customization was in the font - then I have to play the game to see it, because Windows' font preview only shows me the standard range of characters, not the oddballs that would have become rings and armor..
Old June 20, 2020, 17:55   #5
candidgamera
Rookie

More fuzzy memories coming through - I believe it had special wall tiles. Instead of mineable gems appearing as an orange asterisk, they appeared as orange quartz walls, with a dollar sign superimposed.
Old June 20, 2020, 19:40   #6
Sideways
Knight

Sideways is on a distinguished road
I think rephial's DOS version of 2.7.9v6 has what you're looking for, download that (from here) and run with "angband -g". It seems to be a special font.
Old June 20, 2020, 19:54   #7
candidgamera
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
I think rephial's DOS version of 2.7.9v6 has what you're looking for, download that (from here) and run with "angband -g". It seems to be a special font.
I will check it out, thank you! I hope I can get it to run.
Old June 20, 2020, 20:06   #8
candidgamera
Rookie

Had to snag DOSBox, but dammit, you found it! .. unfortunately, I very much doubt there's a good way to grab this font for use in more modern incarnations of the game.
Old June 20, 2020, 20:20   #9
candidgamera
Rookie

Well, the font file isn't buried in the executable, I don't think - at least, there is a pair of font files under XTRA, but despite being .FNT files, they don't seem to be standard .FNTs, as an online font converter program would not convert them.

Are you aware of any modern fonts or tilesets that are similar?
Old June 21, 2020, 02:24   #10
luneya
Swordsman

luneya is on a distinguished road
Given that you have found the font you are looking for in the old DOS version, you could try taking screenshots of the DOS font and importing them into something like FontForge. It's a lot more work than the font converter, but probably easier than scouring the internet for something similar, and it should get you exactly what you want.
luneya is offline   Reply With Quote