AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 27, 2020, 09:42   #11
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petoften View Post
What is the third number on a ring of reckless attacks? (4, 3) (-17) guessing that's armor class? Is that worth using?
Tip: numbers in square brackets [-17] are always armor bonuses.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2020, 15:31   #12
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfy View Post
With selling turned off (the default),
This is still (IMO) the best change made to the game.
you are compensated by getting more $$ from treasure you find.
It's definitely worth it and saves the tediousness from having to cart stuff back to the town.
Instead, keep what you need and enjoy the extra $$.
1. if you feel like that
2. no
3. maybe
4. lol, no

i'll be happy to ignore the fact that players will, at some point, want to set money drops to (ignore), which means a OFF player will only pick up that which they walk on, but the idea that a a OFF player makes as much as a ON player is ridiculous. OFF players do not have the option to pop down to the dungeon and come back with 30k gold in 50 turns, ON players do.
Also, if you don't kill, you don't earn.

On the downside, carrying items has both a weight and encumbrance problem, which is the offset to earning more.
Old June 27, 2020, 15:37   #13
moosferatu
Apprentice

moosferatu is on a distinguished road
Out of curiosity, what are you spending all that gold on? I'm still inexperienced, but past DL 50, it seems largely worthless.
moosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2020, 15:56   #14
licker
Rookie

licker is on a distinguished road
It depends on how you approach the game. There is not a universal right or wrong way to approach money.

I find that early game not having to run back and forth selling crap is great, and the fact that you naturally get more money makes it perfect.

Late game you don't have tons of inventory space to pack mule expensive items anyway.

Mid game you might have more inventory space, but you might also have less depending on what holes you are carrying things to cover.

Also, once you are past caring about what's in the BM money is basically useless because you will always have so much it shouldn't ever really be an issue. But if you set a goal of having 1M gold or something then I guess you want to pack stuff and and spend 50 turns on a run for some reason.

I don't understand that reason, and I don't have to, if someone likes doing it, go for it. Otherwise, just turn off selling and enjoy what should be a faster pace to the game with less back and forth and worrying about what's in your inventory.

In the old days you would appreciate 'worthless' (for your character anyway) stackable items so that you could save on inventory space while holding a ton of value in only a couple spots. Hell you would even play weird games with enchanting ammo to get it to stack up better. Well for people who had OCD about it (which I did). Now, the option to just ignore all of that nonsense because it has zero value (again, if you choose that option) makes it just feel so much cleaner.
licker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2020, 19:51   #15
Petoften
Knight

Petoften is on a distinguished road
Hard level with like 4 named enemies, killed 2, one with a bad ball and chain, the other with "Paurhach" gauntlets.

Used all my heal potions, and man, "Angamaite of Umbar" is hard. I hit him 2 or 3 rounds and he didn't lose one star. I'm going to have to exit. I could try it using emergency mushrooms, but doesn't seem viable. Plus he confuses!

Last edited by Petoften; June 27, 2020 at 19:59.
Petoften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2020, 20:18   #16
Petoften
Knight

Found a ring of open wounds. Seems bad for a troll especially, but the activation cures confusion. Seems worth having for a battle. Ring of lightning, didn't keep it.
Old June 27, 2020, 20:23   #17
Petoften
Knight

I can pick a bow (15,4) or a bow (5, 8). I'm thinking 5,8, that damage is more important.
Old June 27, 2020, 20:25   #18
Petoften
Knight

Does a warrior get new skills with levels? Where can I see them?
Old June 27, 2020, 20:46   #19
Petoften
Knight

Hm, how am I going to identify wands that don't identify when case on monsters... some are for doors or traps, but... I guess there's the expensive 'give to store and buy back'?
Old June 27, 2020, 22:57   #20
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosferatu View Post
Out of curiosity, what are you spending all that gold on? I'm still inexperienced, but past DL 50, it seems largely worthless.
i spend *most* of my 160k turns around DL40/50, then read a bunch of DD scrolls and go down to 98, where i scum for greater vaults.
Meanwhile, whatever the BM has to offer. Potion of Exprience is 75k gold, Augmentation is 150k, but the ones im really looking out for are the individual stat potions.

(to expand, things which are good to buy from BM are: early wand of TO, rods of TO, rings of STR / INT, arrows, !Spd, Banish / MBan, Life, Heal, *Heal, scrolls of TS .. i think the most OP and expensive thing i have ever bough was a PDSM)

I used to enter DL1, rest, and see what BM has in stock, i don't really do that anymore, but if you are paranoid about losing a character, you can totally do that. I guess i've made it an art out of playing badly... right now i'm revisiting an old flame: Lose Artifacts birth option; this is how i used to play back years ago, and to me it will always be the only way to play.

i remember Derakon telling me once, "you start a new character, dive, and if it dies right away, you've invested very little time in it, so who cares" and i was absolutely horrified.