AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old October 4, 2010, 17:54   #91
Tiburon Silverflame
Swordsman

Tiburon Silverflame is on a distinguished road
Andrew:

Quote:
Losing 50% of your hit points doesn't scale with your hit points. It is always 50% of your hit points regardless of how many hit points you have.
That's the EXACT definition of scaling with hit points. It does 300 when you have 600; 500 when you have 1000; or 5 when you have 10. It doesn't do a set amount; it does an amount that changes based on your hit points.

And I agree that hit points are a bookkeeping abstraction, but that's irrelevant to the issue of scaling damage dealt to max hit points.

Systems that don't use hit points:
--Hero System
--Storyteller
--original Legend of the Five Rings, and others which use the same 'exploding d10' system
--Shadowrun

Most of these also have wound levels, which apply penalties of one sort or another. I played a fair bit of Shadowrun, and GM'd it some as well...and let me tell you, designing a combat in Shadowrun was *hard* because of the way penalties worked. A character with moderate wounds, lost a LOT of effectiveness...or, conversely, if the party got in the first licks, the fight might become very easy, very quickly. A good GM can pull this off, but it's not something to leave to the whims of a random number generator. Building a dungeon crawl based on this would give something *seriously* different.

Actually, if you want games that don't use hit points per se: many first person shooters. These games are all about reflexes, and resource management...you've only got so many healing potions and top-notch ammo.
Tiburon Silverflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2010, 18:09   #92
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Every FPS I can think of has a health gauge and litters healing packs all over the place. Recently they've taken to letting you regenerate if you don't get hit for awhile, but you still have a health gauge that, once depleted, causes you to undergo spontaneous existence failure.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2010, 18:43   #93
EpicMan
Swordsman

EpicMan is on a distinguished road
I'm pretty sure all FPSs use the hit point system, they just replace the raw numbers with a pretty bar and make their health potions look like first-aid kits or other generic 'medical' stuff.

Sure, some FPSs have minor penalties for low health (Secret Service comes to mind), and some give their players innate regeneration after not taking damage for a while, but it all boils down to 'this much damage will certainly kill you, less than this will never kill you'.

If you want a more realistic model look at Dwarf Fortress (well, more realistic except your dwarves gain power like Angband characters to become virtually unstoppable killing machines). You can take organ damage (damaged eyes = blindness, damage heart/liver/brain = probably instant death), bones can be broken and limbs can be lost. Just don't try it if you get headaches easily - the ASCII graphics in DF are a bear to look at and decipher.
EpicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2010, 23:53   #94
Hariolor
Swordsman

Hariolor is on a distinguished road
*snip to put on new trap thread*

Last edited by Hariolor; October 5, 2010 at 00:11.
Hariolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2010, 10:46   #95
Storch
Scout

Storch is on a distinguished road
My questions were not connected to traps in any way and I apologize for hijacking the thread :-)

To explain my view more clearly:
  • It is OK for high-level chars to have lots of HP and survive things low-level chars couldn't. It is even realistic - boxing champion or american football player survives with no problem during every match such beating that it would very probably kill me or at least required long stay in a hospital.
  • I do not need realistic damage simulation of severed limbs and punctured spleens. HP abstraction is good enough.
  • It is not OK that it is possible to do everything the same at 0 HP as if nothing happened. I would expect gradual deterioration of strength, carrying capacity, speed etc.
  • It is not OK that it is possible to heal from almost dead to full health instantly and repeatedly and that it is integral and necessary part of the gameplay.
Storch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2010, 11:15   #96
Hajo
Adept

Hajo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storch View Post
[*]It is not OK that it is possible to do everything the same at 0 HP as if nothing happened. I would expect gradual deterioration of strength, carrying capacity, speed etc.
Loosing carrying capacity at low HP might turn annoying - if you won a battle, but got badly hurt, you must collect your stuff newly from the floor after resting a while.

If you need to flee a battle, but stayed in it long, you might have lost vital equipment ...
Old October 5, 2010, 17:23   #97
cinereaste
Scout

cinereaste is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It is not OK that it is possible to heal from almost dead to full health instantly and repeatedly and that it is integral and necessary part of the gameplay.
This seems to be a pretty fundamental part of game play at the moment. Do you have an alternative?

For me, this sort of healing never bothered me. Yes, IRL people can't drink a potion and suddenly have limbs grow back, etc. But magic doesn't exit IRL either. If people are worried about realism in terms of healing, then shouldn't they also be concerned about realism about magic? It's magic healing. If your system allows magic that breaks laws of physics, why not have healing magic that breaks laws of biology?
cinereaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2010, 18:06   #98
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
It's not inconceivable that you could rework Angband such that in-dungeon regeneration was limited to use-on-pickup items dropped by killed monsters or found on the floor. Thus the only ways to heal would be to keep killing or to retreat to the town. You'd have to completely rework monster damage to make this work, though; dealing >25% of the player's max HP in a single turn would be completely out of the question.

This would have the happy side-effect of basically eliminating instadeaths. It also wouldn't be Vanilla any more by any stretch of the imagination.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2010, 18:16   #99
nullfame
Adept

nullfame is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It is not OK that it is possible to do everything the same at 0 HP as if nothing happened. I would expect gradual deterioration of strength, carrying capacity, speed etc.
Well, there is the stunned side effect. If you have taken a real beating you are likely to be stunned or cut so that satisfies "weakened at low HP" for me.

Quote:
It is not OK that it is possible to heal from almost dead to full health instantly and repeatedly and that it is integral and necessary part of the gameplay.
The potions that allow you to do this (Life, *Healing*) are currently (3.1.2v2) pretty rare. Taking Morgoth-quality damage would require at least two !healing to recover from.
nullfame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2010, 08:27   #100
Storch
Scout

Storch is on a distinguished road
I do not want to make angband "real". I accept that magic is magic and that magic healing potion is not aspirin.

What I wanted to say is, that I do not like these aspects from gameplay perspective. I usually do not enjoy fighting Morgoth much because it's just a bit silly war of attrition.

Eddie mentioned Runequest which uses different system. I was interested if there are other examples of playable, enjoyable alternative systems.
Storch is offline   Reply With Quote