AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old February 11, 2008, 05:40   #21
Anne
Adept

Anne is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandobras
This feature is present in Un. If it does not work for you, please report.
Oh yay! Zang was the only place I've seen that so far, and since it wasn't mentioned on our scroll, I just assumed we didn't have it. Truth is, I haven't been able to afford those scrolls yet, at least not until tonight...

More on using Gauge Magic on an unidentified wand: If you use Gauge Magic on a scroll and then sell it in a shop, sometimes it sells for an unbelievable price. I sold an unidentified wand with 13 charges for (drum roll please) 30,000 gp! And it turned out to be only a wand of Spark. Poor, poor shopkeeper, I'm sure he hates me now. The next unidentified wand with 9 charges went for 100 gp (turned out to be Light). Now, I enjoy getting rich quick as much as the next person, but I had the feeling that this might be something that wasn't coded to happen intentionally. If it's -supposed- to work that way, that's fine too. I've only tried this a handful of times, so it may be extremely rare for all I know.

Wonder spell - just thought I'd mention that the description in the spellbook, while it does list the variety of possible effects, is just fine. It doesn't run out of room like the wands did.

About the Phase Door and Teleportation we discussed earlier - I found out today that the spell (rather than the scroll) descriptions include average distance to differentiate them. I don't know if the coding on the spellbook descriptions would be helpful in coming up with a solution for the scrolls, but I thought I'd mention it.

An idea for the descriptions that say things like "for 40 power" - if it's too complicated to make it clearer in descriptions, maybe an explanation of what it means could instead be included in the help files instead. Might be easier in the long run, and it would certainly work just as well.

Service of Gauge Magic - I purchased this service, choosing an unidentified piece of armor that I was wearing at the time. The final message I saw was "Taken!" which made me immediately check my equipment to make sure the shopkeeper hadn't taken it. Of course it was still there and everything was fine. I've since realized that shops must be coded to give that as one of several random messages to conclude a sale (including services). Obviously this is very minor, just a little awkwardness rather than a problem.

Regarding combinations of:
carry_query_flag
floor_query_flag
Apparently the latter only works if the former is also enabled - without that, it still picks up the entire stack without letting the player choose. I don't know if that's the way it's meant to work, but I'm assuming it probably is, because from a coding standpoint, it really would make sense. So, assuming it is not a bug...

Ideally, it is just more convenient not to have to confirm every single item you want to pick up across the dungeon. In the early game, we tend to want to pick up nearly everything since we haven't yet identified many potions, scrolls, etc. In some spots, that can be a LOT of picking up in a very small area. Being able to skip that extra keystroke for every single pickup is very attractive.

On the other hand, not being able to take advantage of enabling floor_query_flag unless we leave the other enabled can be a real annoyance. If you have only one or two available inventory slots, trying to 'get' something from a pile often means you have to do a little dance of getting the first couple of things from the pile, dropping them both, then getting what you really wanted in the first place. Yup, kind of a pain in the tush.

Could the coding be altered so that when floor_query_flag is enabled, the game asks for confirmation -only- when getting from a pile?
Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2008, 12:43   #22
Bandobras
Knight

Bandobras is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne View Post
More on using Gauge Magic on an unidentified wand: If you use Gauge Magic on a scroll and then sell it in a shop, sometimes it sells for an unbelievable price. I sold an unidentified wand with 13 charges for (drum roll please) 30,000 gp! And it turned out to be only a wand of Spark. Poor, poor shopkeeper, I'm sure he hates me now. The next unidentified wand with 9 charges went for 100 gp (turned out to be Light).
Thanks for more info on this bug. Seems more serious than I thought.

Quote:
Wonder spell - just thought I'd mention that the description in the spellbook, while it does list the variety of possible effects, is just fine. It doesn't run out of room like the wands did.
Thanks, but too late, already shortened.

Quote:
About the Phase Door and Teleportation we discussed earlier - I found out today that the spell (rather than the scroll) descriptions include average distance to differentiate them. I don't know if the coding on the spellbook descriptions would be helpful in coming up with a solution for the scrolls, but I thought I'd mention it.
Now that you mention it, I wonder if that shows up in the scroll description if you *Identify* it (debug hack: Control-a (yes) f). Can't test it in the moment. If not, perhaps the spells are meant to be described in more detail (mages know the mechanics more). Anyway, you are right it can be easily fixed just by giving the numerical value.

Quote:
Service of Gauge Magic - I purchased this service, choosing an unidentified piece of armor that I was wearing at the time. The final message I saw was "Taken!" which made me immediately check my equipment to make sure the shopkeeper hadn't taken it. [...]
Funny story. I guess the shopkeeper meant the money is taken. Anyway, let's scare newbies from time to time.

Quote:
Regarding combinations of:
carry_query_flag
floor_query_flag
Apparently the latter only works if the former is also enabled - without that, it still picks up the entire stack without letting the player choose. I don't know if that's the way it's meant to work, but I'm assuming it probably is, because from a coding standpoint, it really would make sense. So, assuming it is not a bug...
After you turned my attention to options, this, and several other options will be changed to their V versions (probably reducing the number of separate options, too), including the difference in behaviour. Wait for beta2 in a week or two and please verify that your problems are gone (updated the relevant feature request, anyway).

Edit: versions -> options

Last edited by Bandobras; February 11, 2008 at 16:21.
Bandobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2008, 15:30   #23
Anne
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandobras
After you turned my attention to options, this, and several other options will be changed to their V versions (probably reducing the number of separate versions, too), including the difference in behaviour. Wait for beta2 in a week or two and please verify that your problems are gone (updated the relevant feature request, anyway).
Sounds good! I'll put off testing options further until I've downloaded the next beta, then. Here's hoping I can come across another Magical Bag of Supplies so I can do more complete testing on it. That one interests me. lol.
Old February 11, 2008, 19:00   #24
Bandobras
Knight

Quote:
Scroll of Phase Door - "When read, it teleports you away."
You know what? It displays so only in the object knowledge screen "~4". In other places it says "for 10 distance on average", which is exactly what you've proposed. I will fix the knowledge display; if there is any other place with the shorter display, please let me know.

Edit: Now I see you get the numerical details only if you've used the object enough number of times (not in the knowledge screen, though, which will be fixed). This should be documented...

Edit2: Oops, the timeout depends on an uninitialized variable "num", which is why the knowledge screen was terse for me, and may be why you never got the full description anywere. Fixed.

Last edited by Bandobras; February 11, 2008 at 19:17.
Old February 14, 2008, 02:13   #25
Anne
Adept

A few more things from the last couple of days:

I was wielding a lantern and had two other lanterns in my inventory. I fueled my lantern from the extras, and the game told me "You fuel the lamp. You unstack your lantern." But rather than unstacking them, it looked as if it had taken an equal amount of fuel from each lantern. I repeated it several times, and the extras did not unstack - they remained stacked and their fuel kept reducing until it was a stack of 2 lanterns with 1 fuel in each. From there, trying to fuel didn't work - the 1 fuel left in the extras didn't reduce to 0 and my wielded lantern did not gain.

Wand of Trap/Door Destruction:
"When aimed, it creates a powerful bolt to remove doors from your enemies. When set in a trap, it removes doors from one target." Okey-doke, if I happen to see any monsters walking around holding doors in front of them, that will come in handy... lol

And this one might be related to the Gauge Magic thing we discussed earlier or it might be normal -
Today I sold 28 Iron Shots (1d4) (+0,+0) {uncursed} for 1596 gold. I had used Gauge Magic on them earlier. When they appeared in the shop, there was apparently nothing special about them, and the shopkeeper glared at me. Is that supposed to happen sometimes, where if the shopkeeper sees something like {uncursed} he might pay a higher price on the grounds that there might be something special about it?
Old February 14, 2008, 22:59   #26
Bandobras
Knight

Quote:
"You fuel the lamp. You unstack your lantern."
OK, fixed, together with "You combine your torches". These are all artifacts from the times items with different charges did not combine.

Quote:
From there, trying to fuel didn't work - the 1 fuel left in the extras didn't reduce to 0 and my wielded lantern did not gain.
Sounds logical --- the last drop of oil is smeared across both the lamps. But the fun continues: you can suck this last drop ad infinitum, filling your other lantern eventually. Moreover, if you drop one of the lanterns, the magic stops, you get to 0 fuel in one go. I'm to lazy to file a bug report --- let's leave it for newbies to wonder until the fueling code is rewritten due to a refactoring or something.

Quote:
Wand of Trap/Door Destruction: "When aimed, it creates a powerful bolt to remove doors from your enemies. When set in a trap, it removes doors from one target." Okey-doke, if I happen to see any monsters walking around holding doors in front of them, that will come in handy... lol
;DDD An old joke though, already recorded on Berlios.

Quote:
And this one might be related to the Gauge Magic thing we discussed earlier or it might be normal -
Today I sold 28 Iron Shots (1d4) (+0,+0) {uncursed} for 1596 gold. I had used Gauge Magic on them earlier. When they appeared in the shop, there was apparently nothing special about them, and the shopkeeper glared at me. Is that supposed to happen sometimes, where if the shopkeeper sees something like {uncursed} he might pay a higher price on the grounds that there might be something special about it?
That sounds ugly. Gauge Magic does not discover ego powers, so they could be excellent, though at (+0,+0) it's very unlikely. And I've actually reproduced this for ordinary ammo and fixed it in SVN, I hope. Thank you, as usually.
Old February 15, 2008, 14:55   #27
Anne
Adept

Quote:
An old joke though, already recorded on Berlios.
Definitely my favorite one so far. lol

You may actually get a bit of a rest from my reports over the next few days. I'm not likely to be home much. And you're very welcome as always.
Old February 17, 2008, 04:56   #28
Anne
Adept

A couple more very minor problems with spell descriptions.

Spell of Temporary Displacement - there seems to be some miscoding here because there's a partial line that starts before and runs into the real description.
Typed exactly as it appears:
"for 1d10+10 turnsWhen cast, it marks this grid as a destination for later return and teleports you away for 20 distance on average."

The song of Charm Person: "When cast, it charm elves, dwarves, humans, orcs, trolls, or giantss one target for 1 power."
Old February 17, 2008, 23:10   #29
Bandobras
Knight

Quote:
A couple more very minor problems with spell descriptions.
The first is already fixed (due to somebody's forum reports on similar issues), the second I'll fix before beta2, which will probably be out next weekend (the work with adopting V options turns out to be huge, though rewarding; BTW there are a couple of unused options in V options.*).
Old February 18, 2008, 02:03   #30
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandobras View Post
The first is already fixed (due to somebody's forum reports on similar issues), the second I'll fix before beta2, which will probably be out next weekend (the work with adopting V options turns out to be huge, though rewarding; BTW there are a couple of unused options in V options.*).
I think that star was going to refer to a footnote, but it's hard to tell. Do feel free to elaborate!
takkaria is offline   Reply With Quote