Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 7, 2013, 21:26   #21
Oramin
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 371
Oramin is on a distinguished road
Bio_Hazard:

(Text inserted to make the post long enough.)

Oramin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2013, 21:36   #22
AnonymousHero
Veteran
 
AnonymousHero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,372
AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Look, it's very simple.

As a player who wants information about monsters at the time I face them I (currently) have two options: a) be labeled a cheater, or b) suffer the huge and insurmountable (/sarcasm) inconvenience of opening monster.txt in a text editor and doing a Ctrl+F once in a while. Which am I most likely to choose if I, for example, am going to post my character to the ladder?

The point being the negative connotation of "cheat" and the relatively small inconvenience of monster.txt versus having in-game perfect recall: Labeling the option as a cheat option can only encourage people to meta-game rather than enabling the friggin' option. As long as the effort to open monster.txt in an editor is trivial (it is) nobody's actually going to use an option labeled "cheat". (Well, OK, some will but people playing roguelikes are a weird bunch )
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2013, 21:53   #23
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 55
Posts: 8,468
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I'll note that the only times, so far, that I've seen an argument with DaviddesJ end are when the other party gives up and walks away. As far as I can tell, he is physically incapable of letting anyone else have the last word in any discussion.
I dunno, Derakon, he might just have met his match
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2013, 22:21   #24
Oramin
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 371
Oramin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousHero View Post
Look, it's very simple.

As a player who wants information about monsters at the time I face them I (currently) have two options: a) be labeled a cheater, or b) suffer the huge and insurmountable (/sarcasm) inconvenience of opening monster.txt in a text editor and doing a Ctrl+F once in a while. Which am I most likely to choose if I, for example, am going to post my character to the ladder?

The point being the negative connotation of "cheat" and the relatively small inconvenience of monster.txt versus having in-game perfect recall: Labeling the option as a cheat option can only encourage people to meta-game rather than enabling the friggin' option. As long as the effort to open monster.txt in an editor is trivial (it is) nobody's actually going to use an option labeled "cheat". (Well, OK, some will but people playing roguelikes are a weird bunch )

You do realize that your argument boils down to "It is incredibly easy to cheat and I'm going to do it anyway so therefore it shouldn't be considered cheating."?


“The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching.”
― John Wooden

From:

http://www.goodreads.com/author/quot...41.John_Wooden
Oramin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2013, 22:25   #25
Oramin
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 371
Oramin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I dunno, Derakon, he might just have met his match
That has yet to be determined. He hasn't had much time to post in this thread yet.
Oramin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2013, 22:48   #26
Djabanete
Knight
 
Djabanete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 545
Djabanete is on a distinguished road
(1) There is something to be said for exploration (acquired monster knowledge), and something to be said for transparency (automatic monster knowledge). But in of Angband, the difference in difficulty between the two is a mere hairsbreadth. Even when I was a new player, I only died once or twice to the unknown, and much more often to my own rashness. Rather than being a question of difficulty, I think acquired vs automatic monster knowledge is a question of enjoyment for personalities who cannot abide "gotcha" moments (such as having Mim put -1/-1 on your artifact weapon), and for people who often change between computers/game versions. I support adding a non-cheat option.

(2) Tangent: monster memory should say what things a monster doesn't resist. It's frustrating when information that my ancestors have learned through trial and error isn't there. (The lack of mention of, say, fire resistance could be owing to a monster's lack of fire resistance, or I might never have used fire on this monster before --- my human memory doesn't know if I have or not, but my character's monster memory ought to.)

(3) @OP: Please, let's not have name-calling in our discussions on this site.

Quote:
“The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching.”
― John Wooden
In this case we can deduce that AHero, like many others, prefers his strategy games to come with transparency when no one is watching. But it sounded kind of like you were trying to say something less nice.

Last edited by Djabanete; August 7, 2013 at 23:06.
Djabanete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2013, 23:10   #27
AnonymousHero
Veteran
 
AnonymousHero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,372
AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramin View Post
You do realize that your argument boils down to "It is incredibly easy to cheat and I'm going to do it anyway so therefore it shouldn't be considered cheating."?
No. I'm saying that it literally does not matter if it's called cheating or not -- unless you're competing against others on a supposedly equal footing. If it's an option, everyone can see exactly what I've done when I upload my character. If it's a "cheat" option I'm not even sure I can upload my character.

(In fact, I'd be for removing the "cheat" flag from every single option and just uploading the option information when you upload a character and be done with it. That may be a bit extreme for others, but whatever.)

The only context in which this matters is if you're competing against others, and I'm saying it's absurd to call it "cheating" if you're just playing against yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramin View Post
“The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching.”
― John Wooden
"A witty saying proves nothing". - Voltaire. So please stop it with the smugness, mkay?
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2013, 23:27   #28
Oramin
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 371
Oramin is on a distinguished road
AnonymousHero:

Quote:
(In fact, I'd be for removing the "cheat" flag from every single option and just uploading the option information when you upload a character and be done with it. That may be a bit extreme for others, but whatever.)

Well, at least you're consistent.

As for this:

Quote:
The only context in which this matters is if you're competing against others, and I'm saying it's absurd to call it "cheating" if you're just playing against yourself.
You are playing solo but you aren't just playing against yourself.
Oramin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2013, 23:36   #29
Oramin
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 371
Oramin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djabanete View Post
(3) @OP: Please, let's not have name-calling in our discussions on this site.


In this case we can deduce that AHero, like many others, prefers his strategy games to come with transparency when no one is watching. But it sounded kind of like you were trying to say something less nice.

Assuming that you are referring to what I said to AnonymousHero, let me be clear what I was trying to say.

1. The free complete monster memory is currently considered a cheating option just like the infinite lives option.

2. It is possible to get around the cheater label that the game marks your file with by actions outside the game itself.

3. In the case of the monster memory, as far as I'm concerned, if you do this to get information that you have not already discovered within the game then you are still cheating. You've just avoided getting caught by the game.


Should the game be changed to reflect his apparent opinion that it is not cheating, then it won't be cheating. At the moment, however, it is.

Now, if you have a problem with my conclusion or you consider that to be name-calling, that is unfortunate.

Clarified?


Edit:

Perhaps this will help. IIRC, Chessmaster 2100 had a Championship option which eliminated all possible "cheating" options. If you won, it printed out a special certificate to commemorate your victory under those circumstances.

Consider this: There's nothing stopping you from getting help from other people, analyzing it on a board by moving pieces, consulting with books, or even getting a better program to suggest moves.

I would consider any and all of those to be cheating because they violate what I consider to be the premise, that you will have earned the victory within the intended parameters of the game.

Sure, you can change the parameters so that the free complete monster memory isn't a "cheat" option; I just think it violates the spirit of Angband (and Rogue-likes generally) to do it.

Last edited by Oramin; August 7, 2013 at 23:44.
Oramin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2013, 23:55   #30
Djabanete
Knight
 
Djabanete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 545
Djabanete is on a distinguished road
"Name-calling" refers to you calling the other guy a douche, in the OP.

As for the other bit, I'm sure you're capable of having a discussion about what is or isn't cheating without casting aspersions on your interlocutor's character.

Sorry for going off topic. I already said what I thought about the option, so I'm done now.
Djabanete is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Monster Memory Question Stornor Vanilla 3 September 10, 2012 17:00
Monster Memory, take 2? buzzkill Idle chatter 1 September 8, 2012 06:32
Some thoughts on Monster Memory Tobias Vanilla 17 May 29, 2011 16:43
Monster memory TJS Vanilla 13 August 8, 2009 19:40
Files for Monster Memory? geoff_tewierik Vanilla 4 May 25, 2009 03:58


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 20:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.